Help, please....

Viper_SA

https://www.tiktok.com/@tinus_viper?lang=en
LV

Awards
During the last few days I have been experimenting with different coil builds on my Kanger subtank mini. As the power increased, I noticed dry hits from time to time. Went back to my normal 0.7 ohm 2.5mm single coils. Tried wicking with Dischem cotton balls (as always) and KGD cotton. Still got dry hits when chain vaping, which was never an issue. running between 18-25W. Saw a thread where the guy used a Dremel to open up the juice slots a bit. Did that earlier today, rewicked, and still getting dry hits on 60/40 juice....

I'm at my wit's end here, lol. The mAN is working overtime to keep up with nicotine delivery :D

I had a look at the way Rip trippers does this before I purchased the device for the wife (i'm predominately dripping :) ) and tried the 1.2 ohm coil, was ok, tried the 0.5 oh, also ok... but then decided to drop the occ coils and build on the RBA base... This works sooo nice!!! the taste is perfect, and it is a nice vape overall, never had one dry or burnt hit at all... just have a look at rip's video.. I'm using the organic Japanese cotton, like he did, and if you cut off the correct thickness it works perfect, also, remember not to make a a coil where your wraps are tight against each other... you need the wraps to have gaps in them (standard Coil)

I did a 5 wrap with 24 G kenthal and it came in @ 0.37 Ohm...

vaping on her nemesis this is a perfect combination...

I re wicked this build for her again over the weekend, and same thing, no leakage, and no dry hits...

Check out this video, this works for both the mini and regular...

The important bits you want to focus on is:

Coil wrapping - 44 seconds into the video (making the standard coil) (I also did mine on the blue screw driver you get with it)
Cotton - 3:11 into the video (here you get an idea of how much cotton is required...
Wicking - 4:30 into the video...(the gaps you need to make on the sides to allow for better juice to wick action)

If you follow that, you will be sorted :)

Hope that helps :)
Enjoy

After opening the barrel openings with the Dremel, it seems I have some gurgling on 50/50 juices. I started playing with the OCC coil rebuilds (Rip Trippers has a great tutorial) and this is what I ended up with eventually.

20150402_193822_resized.jpg

Pancake wicking on an OCC coil :) Chain vaping on 60/40 VG/PG with no dry hits and awesome flavor. Really nice way to learn how much wick to use as well, since you don't have to worry about tails touching or not, juice wells etc. Has helped me a lot to figure out how tight to pack the wicking in there. I was grocely over-wicking it seems :blush:

The one coil I thought might have too little wick turned out to be the perfect one :)

P.S. It is said that Nigel Mansell would sing nursery rhymes while leading a race to keep his concentration. While rolling the little ends of the KGD cotton I caught myself singing "roll roll, roll your wick"...... Must be the nicotine :D

During the last few days I have been experimenting with different coil builds on my Kanger subtank mini. As the power increased, I noticed dry hits from time to time. Went back to my normal 0.7 ohm 2.5mm single coils. Tried wicking with Dischem cotton balls (as always) and KGD cotton. Still got dry hits when chain vaping, which was never an issue. running between 18-25W. Saw a thread where the guy used a Dremel to open up the juice slots a bit. Did that earlier today, rewicked, and still getting dry hits on 60/40 juice....

I'm at my wit's end here, lol. The mAN is working overtime to keep up with nicotine delivery :D
How tight is your wicks, I've noticed on my rig if the wicks are too tight through the coil it struggles a bit.

I must be the only one getting decent performance out of the subtank rba base. No dry hits. Using the supplied coil and Japanese organic cotton and a high vg juice

I must be the only one getting decent performance out of the subtank rba base. No dry hits. Using the supplied coil and Japanese organic cotton and a high vg juice
i'm sorry, but I have to ask, do you even read the thread on the forum before you post? lol...

Three things i've done seemed to help....

1. Replaced the o-rings...
2. When wicking, divide the cotton tails into two on each side (so four in total)..then screw in the sleeve and then position the wick tails away from the tiny juice opening. Make sure they are far from the juice opening but touching the deck.
3. I unscrew the tank (glass piece) from the base about 3/4 turn.. seems to improve the flow.

I'm not sure which of the above makes the difference.. but i've not had issues since doing this...

Hope it helps..

Thanks @Renesh you're a star! Finally have the dry hits sorted. Followed the photo tutorial you PM'd me, and still had issues from time to time. Tried several coil setups and wicking styles, KGD and Dischem cotton. Then, I reread the thread and thought, let's change the o-rings. Wow! Didn't think of this since the one tank is only like two weeks old, but that was the problem! I have broken two glasses in two weeks between the two subtanks. One chipped when I pulled off the glass for cleaning, was stuck to the o-ring, and clipped the stainless steel post on it's way out. After that it cracked a little more everytime I tightened it down. The other chipped whenI tightened it down more to try and stop a leak. Of the two sets of black o-rings that came in the box, only one works. The one tank's glass falls over the bottom o-ring without any resistance at all. Must be a dud. I have some colored o-rings on order from @Derick which I hope will sort that tank out. The other one doesn't leak at all, no longer gurgles and runs superb. Went back to 0.7 ohm micro coil at 1.5mm ID and runs very good at 15-18W. I have enough drippers to chase power and clouds with, so this is fine for me now.

Thought the leaking and gurgling was because I opened up the juice channels in the barrel, but the new set of o-rings has stopped all that. Can lie it flat on it's side without a drop of leakage over night.

Hope this helps some of the other people struggling with issues.

Thanks for the update @Viper_SA

My guess would be that the tank(s) did not seal properly with the installed o-rings and then does not create a proper vacuum - which is absolutely essential in any tank to prevent flooding and leaking, and also to allow juice to travel up the juice channels while vaping.

I've personally not had any issues with mine on this front, but it is good to know ;)

The colored o-rings are awesome too...hopefully they'll sort out your other tank :D

Back