Modding Atomizers To Bottom Fed For The Reo

Andre

Reonaut
VIP
LV

Awards
On the advice of @andro got a Dremel at a special from Makro, wanting to try modding a dripper to bottom feed for some time. Decided to have my first go on the Igo-F, which has a 1 mm juice well below the coil deck. Here is my story:

The Igo-F. Stainless steel. Top cap and drip tip is one unit. Diameter is about that of a Twisp. About 45 mm high. One air hole, two posts, no post holes.
NQ801Ro.jpg

Juice well from the top. The little round black thing is a screw - the juice well can be bottom filled in dripper mode.
8u8amlt.jpg

Juice well from the bottom, showing center pin, which just pushes out.
EefX8aI.jpg

Center pin removed.
WoebMQp.jpg

Center pin now has a groove after a few minutes of work with the dremel. (Sorry about the focus)
cD5k5iT.jpg

Center pin with silicone thingie put back in place.
OGRoF4u.jpg

VU00vTo.jpg

Coiled (7 wraps of 27 g with 1.6 mm ID - 0.8 ohms) and wicked with 1 mm ekowool. Wick tails fit through 2 holes on the deck to go into the juice well. One post screw stripped, fortunately a Reomizer screw fitted.
6HeALOa.jpg

On the Reo Mini.
PTRVEDD.jpg

End result: Very proud of my first attempt at modding to bf - works perfectly. Wicks surprisingly well. Enjoying some VM Banana Cream in there.

Great going there @Matthee - how does the flavour and throat hit compare?

Great going there @Matthee - how does the flavour and throat hit compare?
Still trying it out, but my initial impressions - actually very good - my first thought was that the throat hit was impressive considering the coil is almost on the deck. Not so sure about the wicking from the juice well, think the sqounking actually pushes the juice through the wick holes right onto the deck, but it works perfectly and have not had leaking through the air hole. Unfortunately did not try it in dripper mode to really know about the wicking. The atty does get quite hot.

Oh my word! That's a McGyver of note! I'm so impressed! Good one!

Wow @Matthee awesome handy work!

Any reason why you didn't just drill a hole through the pin instead of shaving a quarter away?

Provided you had a vice to hold the center pin I would have thought that would be the quicker way of tackling this. Start with a small .6mm bit, then go up to a 1mm and finally a 1.2mm to finish it off

@Matthee can you please post a pic showing the clearance between the Igo and the juice well on the mini?

Does 45mm diameter leave any space, or is it tight right up against the edge of the mini?

Wow @Matthee awesome handy work!

Any reason why you didn't just drill a hole through the pin instead of shaving a quarter away?

Provided you had a vice to hold the center pin I would have thought that would be the quicker way of tackling this. Start with a small .6mm bit, then go up to a 1mm and finally a 1.2mm to finish it off
This is the way most modding to bf is done as far as I have read up on ECF. Doing the drill on SS is apparently not that easy and requires a lot of patience and a steady hand or drill stand, all of which I lack.

@devdev first you would need a precision drill press (an ordinary hobby type drill press won't do) or preferably a lathe with a minute chuck to drill something as small as the positive pin and secondly the drill bit should be something like a cobalt or better.

@Matthee can you please post a pic showing the clearance between the Igo and the juice well on the mini?

Does 45mm diameter leave any space, or is it tight right up against the edge of the mini?
It fits right into the drip well, with about half a mm of space all round. The 45 mm was measured from the top of the drip well to the top of the drip tip.
9dswgVv.jpg

Wow @Matthee - so impressive indeed!!!
Now that is a major development - you are becoming a serious modder of note now - Dremel n all.
Congrats - must have been so rewarding to vape on it once it was done.

And my oh my, that Mini looks so, so stunning - regal and classy!

@Matthee do you mind putting up a photo of your fingers with all the band-aid after doing this modification :D?

It fits right into the drip well, with about half a mm of space all round. The 45 mm was measured from the top of the drip well to the top of the drip tip.
9dswgVv.jpg

Wow, that is a snug fit, but clearance is there without any issues.

Presumably the allure of the LP Reo Grand is that you can mod any dripper to work with it because it will fit, where as here you are limited to the smaller drippers

@Matthee do you mind putting up a photo of your fingers with all the band-aid after doing this modification :D?
Lol, only have a voting mark, can you believe. The dremel with the cutting disc and especially the variable speed actually makes it a breeze. Oh, and did use a vice.

Presumably the allure of the LP Reo Grand is that you can mod any dripper to work with it because it will fit, where as here you are limited to the smaller drippers
Absolutely, and now that I have a Dremel and a LP Reo.....
BTW - you get both the Grand and the Mini in LP.

Absolutely, and now that I have a Dremel and a LP Reo.....
BTW - you get both the Grand and the Mini in LP.

Technically with a dremel you could make any Reo an LP Reo - just not a good looking LP Reo. Who can we convince to give this a try?

@devdev just take your standard Reo to an engineering shop and ask them to mill the top section to the same dimensions as the low profile one.

Technically with a dremel you could make any Reo an LP Reo - just not a good looking LP Reo. Who can we convince to give this a try?
Many Reonauts have actually done it. You need to take 3 mm off the juice well. But remember your standard RM2 will then have a huge gap. Above my pay grade though.

The huge gap is normally closed by an o-ring according to the modders on ecf

Back