Regulated Squonking Dilemma

n0ugh7_zw

Data in the streets, Riker in the sheets!
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
Ok, so first off, sqounking is pretty rad, and I like it, so I'm not bias in that regard.

Second, I always think of better things to say (clearer ways of conveying my thoughts), after i've hit the post button, so expect edits (Dyslexia helps with that too).

That said its a pretty specific kinda squonking that I like. I can't MTL, and I need me some wattage.

I've got 4 squonkers now, so i'm hardly an authority, but I feel like I know enough of whats going on, to speak about it a little bit.

Ok, so I started on a plain old Kangertech Dripbox, its awesome, and a really cheap way to check if squonking is for you. But there are some rubs.

1.) It's unregulated, but limited to 60W
2.) It has a really home made 510 arrangement (more about this further on)
3.) Being unregulated, and being a single 18650 mod, the battery life is pretty shocking

So, as far as the power limitations go, you can kinda work around it, by building really low (0.08 was no problem on it) with thinish wire (26G kanthal for example) basically the aim of the game is to use as little wire as possible without going totally overboard, for example 26G kanthal, 5 spaced (to aid with wicking) wraps per coil with a 2.5MM ID on a velocity V1. That'll get you in the ball park, of a warm vape.

next up is the Kangertech Dripbox 160W, but I'm going to mention it later.

So the Lost Vapes Therion BF DNA 75.... Nice high end looking mod, really efficient board. spring loaded 510 pin, nice big bottle, surprisingly good battery life because of the efficiency of the board.
But still rubs are to be had...

1.) The battery installation, feels really, really crummy and cheap.
2.) The leather on the back panel, isn't like inset, its just stuck on, and its fractionally too big, so the edges will come loose, mine have already started, and it really hasn't been long (picked the mod up at Vapecon)
3.) It's only 75W, yes i know for some thats a ton of power, and its been my daily driver for the last 10 days, and I've gotten by. But, its not really scratching the itch I have.

Next is the Paddy Vapes Leprachaun. But to be honest, its more of a beautiful thing to pull out and use once in a while, like a tube mech would be. Or for something formal.

The Kangertech Dripbox 160W... Big, heavy (but feels nicer in the hand than an RX200) dual 18650, 160W (some have issues with that, more on that later) Economical for what it is.
But as with everything, there are issues.

1.) Still using kangertechs home made BF 510 that sort of floats, but sort of doesn't.
2.) Not the the most efficient board ever made, so the battery life isn't terribly good.

Ok, so the 510 issue. It's a bit of a pain to sort out, and a lot of people simply will not want to waste the time to do so.

Basically, you have to open the mod, and push the pin up the 510, assemble the mod, make sure there is no juice in the 510 (we want metal on metal contact, for it to give a nice accurate read on the resistance) and then I'd advice getting some 510 spacers, or using a tiny o-ring on the 510 on the atomizer to prevent it pushing the positive pin on the mod too far down. Then.... You'll find the mod, hits reasonably hard, to the point where, at the same wattage on a DNA200 it feels just as intense (I have no measuring equipment, so it might be a placebo, and if it is, i wish to remain ignorant, because i'm loving it)

A side note on high power squonking, you want an atty setup in such a way that it leaves very little to no excess juice in the RDA, that prevents any issues of spitback or the juice being roasted and the flavour changing as a result.

when I next get a burst of energy, I'll post what atties I've used and modified, and how I've modified them. Hopefully that'll be helpful to people.

Hopefully, this isn't too confusing to read, and it helps people, who are looking for that 130W+ squonking nirvana, but who can't stomach a 900mah 3S lipo battery life on the Halcyon.

My setup for warmish lung hits :
Mod: Reo P67
Atty: Thump
Built: 26 ga Ni80 Dual 2 mm -0.25 ohm
Wick: Cotton Bacon v2
Battery Life: I would say about 4 ml for a decent vape.
My verdict: Straight forward, pop in a good quality 18650, hit the fire button and you are in for a hell of a ride.

Over my vaping journey I found that I need increased battery life. I've been vaping on my Reuleaux DNA200 for a year now and when I bought the Dripbox 160 I found that I'm not used to dual battery devices anymore and want more. I'm busy designing a 3 battery squonker (because I love squonking) and hopefully will be finished with it in the next month or so. It will take 3 batteries, have a 200w chip and it will be a squonker.
I'll be selling my Dripbox 160, because I find it a bit flimsy to say the least. I don't like it.

Interesting to see comments on Dripbox, I have the 60w and the 160w and to be honest I find them both a bit underwhelming, and use them very little and mostly as drippers not squonkers. Everyone to their own I suppose, I am sure there many forumites who love their dripbox but does not really work for me. Completely agree regards the atty, is not great quality at all.

I've got a Lost Vape Therion BF and a Leprechaun coming this month. Looking forward to a hard hitting dripper experience. I don't go higher than 75w unless I have massive dual claptons.
My only other squonker is a Reo Mini which is a very chilled out vape (the battery doesn't have a very high amp rating so builds are usually 1ohm+).

Back