Warning: Fake Aw Batteries

johan

VIP
LV

Awards
People make sure you've got the real deal, especially if you bought internationally and not from a known dealer / reseller. If you're not sure, rather don't use them; your safety are at stake. Here is an article showing the difference between the authentic and fake AW IMR Batteries: http://www.fatboyvapors.com/#!fake-aw-batteries/cj5h

This is very informative @johan , also quite disturbing news as I have purchased 4 x AW IMR 18350 batteries recently that I now suspect are fake after reading the article. Please take a look at the pictures below and see if you agree.
  • Recycle logo is not just outlined
  • RoHS is all capital ROHS on these batteries
  • AW logo has no small indentation
  • Positive cap vent hole looks rather small
WP_20140415_21_07_37_Pro.jpg WP_20140415_21_07_53_Pro.jpg View attachment 4007

Last edited:
Mine look the same as well, hope it is not fake

Same here and I am not sure. Been using them on coils as low as 0.6 Ohms without problems so far. Maybe the supplier / reseller can verify?

Maybe the only solution is to take high resolution pictures and confirm with Allen Wang himself?

wow. didnt know you get fake batterys aswell. mine look the same. and have used them down to .5ohms with out any issues. I have one which is about 9months old and still works fine with subohm

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk HD

I suggest we don't jump to conclusions yet - let first get confirmation or high resolution photos together.

Mine also don't have the identifying features. No recycling logo's either :(

Thanks for the heads up @johan

I bought four AW IMR 18650 button top batteries from @Cape vaping supplies a while ago and two of these same spec batteries from VapeKing (@Gizmo) recently

Have noticed on all six batteries some worrying signs according to the above
- all of them do NOT have any indentations at all on the AW logo sticker
- all of them have a thick black recycling logo
- all of them have ROHS in all capital letters, not RoHS as they are suggested to be

I am quite concerned about this.

Perhaps, in the interests of all members, could you guys @Cape vaping supplies and @Gizmo reassure us of your supplier of these batteries and let us know if they are authentic? I really do not think you guys would knowingly sell fakes, but the signs on these batteries I have bought from both of you are worrying (according to Johan's original post). So can you please check with your suppliers and let us know.

I will try and make contact tomorrow with the supplier. she has not been on skype for a while. will see what I come up with.

one on the left was purchased thru ebay cant remember the seller tho was 8 or nine months ago and one on the right is the ones I brought in.
they are exactly the same as far as I can see.
sune7uve.jpg

I'm also concerned, I bought 4 x 18650 and 2 x 18350 from VapeKing.co.za and the all have the bold recycle logo, missing security "indentation" on the AW sticker and the vent holes seem smaller than the reference image from the link... hopefully we didn't buy fong kong stock.

I'm also concerned, I bought 4 x 18650 and 2 x 18350 from VapeKing.co.za and the all have the bold recycle logo, missing security "indentation" on the AW sticker and the vent holes seem smaller than the reference image from the link... hopefully we didn't buy fong kong stock.

+1.. I have 2x18650 batteries, I would like to make sure, seen as I'm running .6/.7ohm coils on the nemi.

one on the left was purchased thru ebay cant remember the seller tho was 8 or nine months ago and one on the right is the ones I brought in.
they are exactly the same as far as I can see.
sune7uve.jpg

Yip the one I got from you is exactly the same @Cape vaping supplies

no man that is the flash. they are red

I will find out from my supplier. This is concerning. As far as I know they are real.. I let you guys know tomorrow. Thank you for the information.

you almost gave me a heart attack matthee lol

according to this article both my AW batts are fake, both bought from different reputable suppliers. not very worried though . Does anyone actually have a "real" one that matches the specs ?

Back