For the NON-South African Forum members....

Clouder

Dedicated Vaper
LV

Awards
I would, from my side, like to say welcome you to our South African Vaping Community...

Also, I would like to apologize for making NO SENSE AT ALL! ....Let me explain....

You see, many of the members on here are in fact Afrikaans speaking folk. Now, being South Africa, there are many many English folk that does not understand Afrikaans, but, that being said, everybody here knows what a few "slang" Afrikaans words means... and you, may not.

For example the word "gooi" is a Afrikaans word for "throw". A person would say i.e. "then I gooi a wick in there". A word like "Sukkel" means struggle... I've said on here: "I sukkel to get off the stinkies".

I think this might be a good platform for us SA guys to explain a few of the "Slang" words we use in order for our fellow Forum Members to understand what we are saying sometimes.

Please feel free to add slang words and their explanations and Non SA people please feel free to ask what a word means here, If you come across a word that doesn't make sense to you.

I would, from my side, like to say welcome you to our South African Vaping Community...

Also, I would like to apologize for making NO SENSE AT ALL! ....Let me explain....

You see, many of the members on here are in fact Afrikaans speaking folk. Now, being South Africa, there are many many English folk that does not understand Afrikaans, but, that being said, everybody here knows what a few "slang" Afrikaans words means... and you, may not.

For example the word "gooi" is a Afrikaans word for "throw". A person would say i.e. "then I gooi a wick in there". A word like "Sukkel" means struggle... I've said on here: "I sukkel to get off the stinkies".

I think this might be a good platform for us SA guys to explain a few of the "Slang" words we use in order for our fellow Forum Members to understand what we are saying sometimes.

Please feel free to add slang words and their explanations and Non SA people please feel free to ask what a word means here, If you come across a word that doesn't make sense to you.
Nice thread @Clouder ! I can imagine our international friends might get kakmal (shit mad as a direct translation) trying to figure out what all of us might be saying.

This is a lekker thread!

"Lekker" or "lekka" or "lekke" = very, very, nice or great.

Last edited:
I just totally Zuma'd that build.

zuma

adjective, noun, slang

1. To create a big mess out of a situation or a nation
2. Descriptive term for the numerically challenged
3. Descriptive term for those confused about AIDS, HIV and potential treatments.
4. The formal term, used only as a last resort, in referring to the President of the Republic of South Africa

Not only non south Africans. I did Afrikaans in school and still do not understand the language.

Also slang changes from place to place.

Not only non south Africans. I did Afrikaans in school and still do not understand the language.

Also slang changes from place to place.
I can totally relate, I have no idea how I even passed matric afrikaans. All the afrikaans I know is not to be said in polite company. The ladies at my office loved teaching me sayings, so I could come back with a black eye on Monday morning.

Most of my Zulu is the same. One of my friends at school was a black guy, I got him to do all my Zulu orals, until one day I ended up in the principal's office for supposedly telling my teacher to go have intercourse with a goat. He became my best friend after that.

I just totally Zuma'd that build.

zuma

adjective, noun, slang

1. To create a big mess out of a situation or a nation
2. Descriptive term for the numerically challenged
3. Descriptive term for those confused about AIDS, HIV and potential treatments.
4. The formal term, used only as a last resort, in referring to the President of the Republic of South Africa

lol

I don't know why we rip off the pres, bottom line, he increased all the numbers...
curre.jpg

Ja well no fine.

It means, well I'm not sure what it means. I don't think anyone is sure what it means.

Ja well no fine.

It means, well I'm not sure what it means. I don't think anyone is sure what it means.
In my mind "ja well no fine" is, "I hear what you're saying, and while I don't agree with you whole-heartedly, for the sake of not wasting my time arguing with you lets leave it at that".

In my mind "ja well no fine" is, "I hear what you're saying, and while I don't agree with you whole-heartedly, for the sake of not wasting my time arguing with you lets leave it at that".

Yea I'd agree somewhat. But it takes a long explanation :D And I'd have put it less diplomatically, which may not be welcomed on this forum.

Zuma: "I care about South Africa". Ja well no fine.

"Kak" and "lekker". The two most versatile words in the Afrikaans language.

"Kak lekker" means something is extremely good.
"Lekker kak" means something is extremely shit.

Sorry for the cursing!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Here's 1 that gets me eveytime: "Ja nee" direct translation "yes no" so which is it FFS!

It always amazes me that Afrikaans people are expected to and forced to understand and speak English, while English people never seem to have to understand Afrikaans. We all had one or the other as a second language hey, so why is it an issue...... What's worse, is Afrikaans people trying to gooi an English accent, drives me nutters.

Old joke about the Anglo-Boere war:
Khaki: I'm going to kill you!!!
Boertjie: Kielie my net, dan donner ek jou!!!
(If you tickle me, you're going to be sorry)

while English people never seem to have to understand Afrikaans.
Sjoe, you almost collected a "disagree" there.
In 1981, I did "national service" at 1 SAI (SA Infantry) in Bloemfontein.
Do you for one minute think they spoke english there?

... no they didnt, you have to learn quickly what the hell an "omkeer" is when marching in a squad.

Haha @blujeenz.
I suppose that wasn't the only word you learned?
I feel being able to speak both languages gives you a huge advantage.

Agree with @AniDey but I wish I could speak Tswana as well! Working in Government, sometimes they switch meetings to their own languages and I'm sitting there wondering what the hell are they saying.... drives me up the wall! usually I simply take my goeters and leave

Agree with @AniDey but I wish I could speak Tswana as well! Working in Government, sometimes they switch meetings to their own languages and I'm sitting there wondering what the hell are they saying.... drives me up the wall! usually I simply take my goeters and leave

"goeters" = things

It always amazes me that Afrikaans people are expected to and forced to understand and speak English, while English people never seem to have to understand Afrikaans. We all had one or the other as a second language hey, so why is it an issue...... What's worse, is Afrikaans people trying to gooi an English accent, drives me nutters.

Depends where you grew up and how old you are. I grew up in the East Rand and my close friends are a mixture of English and Afrikaans. All them, except for me, when speaking English or Afrikaans, you'd be hard-pressed to tell which they were born into.

I'm the only one that speaks Afrikaans with an accent - but I struggle even with Portuguese, my home language growing up. I understand everything, but people sometimes struggle with my accent speaking either Portuguese or Afrikaans.

It does irritate me that it is not pushed as much nowadays, because as someone who understands Afrikaans, Portuguese and English, I can understand so many other bits and pieces from languages with the same origins.

I can see with my oldest daughter (8), she speaks Afrikaans like it could be Japanese or something - very unnaturally. Which is an indication that it isn't being shoved down at school as much as it was in my days, in an English school.

Here's 1 that gets me eveytime: "Ja nee" direct translation "yes no" so which is it FFS!

It's neither. It's hopeless, something you cannot change, or something where the outcome does not matter.
Statement: "It's all going to shit."
Response: "Ja Nee"
Meaning: It's a hopeless case.

Statement: "If we jump into this freezing lake naked, we'll probably die!"
Response: "Ja Nee, kom ons gooi."
Meaning: Who cares, let's go.

:)

I am English speaking but I love the Afrikaans vernacular. My personal favourite is the term "moer". As in "I managed to get the rear wheel spindle out of my XT500 by moering it with a four pound hammer". No term exists in the English language that is quite so descriptive. Not exactly Afrikaans but another favourite is the term "Now now". Used in a sentence "I will do it now now", this could mean it will be done immediately, be done at some unspecified time in the future, or in some cases could be taken as "F**off I am busy right now".

I haven't found an English word for 'sommer'.
As in "I will sommer moer you!!"
Or "put it sommer down over there'

Back