Initial Impressions of the XTAR VX4 Charger

Old_Goat

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Alright, guys, it’s time to dive into my initial thoughts on the XTAR VX4 charger.
Now, I gotta be real with you—the packaging is a bit basic, which at first made it feel kinda cheap. But hold up, once I took everything out of the box and plastic bags, my opinion changed. The build quality of this charger is actually pretty impressive.

This charger was sponsored by XTAR for review, but I will still give my honest opinion. I call a spade a spade. If there’s anything I don’t like, I’ll point it out so you, the consumer, know what you’re getting, and the manufacturer knows what to improve.

20240725_175349
20240725_1753491920×887 134 KB

20240725_175357
20240725_1753571920×887 129 KB

20240725_175441
1884×4080 621 KB

20240725_175506
20240725_1755061920×887 132 KB

20240725_175512
20240725_1755121920×887 196 KB

In the box, you’ll find the charger, a type C to type C cable, a power brick, and a user manual. The manual is helpful but, as expected, the Chinese-to-English translation is pretty rough. But hey, we’ve all been there with products made in China, right?

20240728_170549
1884×4080 662 KB

The charger itself? Solid build, good weight, and feels really well made. Using the XTAR VX4 is a breeze. Pop in your batteries, and it does the rest. It automatically identifies the battery type and starts the charging process. If you need to manually switch between Li-ion and LiFePo4, just press the C/V button.

20240728_170840
1884×4080 513 KB

20240728_171005
1884×4080 382 KB

20240728_171014
1884×4080 425 KB

20240728_171017
1884×4080 428 KB

The MODE button is where the magic happens—you can see the battery’s current capacity or how much juice the charger is pumping in. It also displays the charging voltage.

Now, I still need to test the capacity measuring function, but it seems straightforward enough. More details on that will come in a future review.

In the next part of the review, I’ll be testing it with new and old batteries, and I’ll also race it against two other chargers to see how quickly it charges my batteries. Stay tuned for that, folks!

XTAR VX4 Charger Final Review

Alright, fam, it’s time to wrap up my thoughts on the XTAR VX4 charger. I put this bad boy up against my LiitoKala Lii-PD4 and my old 2-port Golisi charger. Let’s break it down.

Charging Performance:
The VX4 and the Lii-PD4 were neck and neck, both clocking in around 3 hours to charge my drained 18650s from 10% (based on my Vaporesso Target 200). The Golisi, though, took its sweet time, coming in at about 3 and a half hours. So if you’re after speed, the VX4 holds its own.

Build Quality:
When I first unboxed the VX4, the packaging was pretty basic, making it feel a bit cheap. But once you get the charger out, it’s a different story. This thing is solid, with a nice heft to it. The springs are soft, and I mean that in a good way. They hold the batteries firmly without trying to snap your finger off or launch your batteries across the room. After dealing with the Lii-PD4’s aggressive springs, this is a game-changer. Plus, softer springs mean less wear on your batteries. I’ve seen dents on batteries from the Lii-PD4 over time, but so far, the VX4 is treating them nicely.

Features and User Interface:
The XTAR VX4 is a jack-of-all-trades, supporting Li-ion, NiMH, LiFePO₄, and 1.5V Li-ion batteries. Not only can it charge these types, but it can also test their capacity. The charger has four slots, three buttons, and a large, clear display. Ventilation slots on the sides and bottom help keep things cool.

The battery contacts have small nipples on both sides to ensure good contact, even with different battery sizes. Flat-top batteries with a protruding wrapper might be a bit tricky with the positive terminal, and thin batteries like AAAs need to be seated carefully.

The slots run smoothly, so you can easily insert batteries with one hand. They support a wide range of battery sizes, from 29.0 to 80.5mm in length and up to 33mm in diameter. You can charge four 21700 batteries or two 26650 batteries alongside narrower batteries at the same time.

One downside is the plastic feet, which make the charger slip easily on a table. Rubber feet would’ve been a nice touch. The dimensions (171 × 129 × 41 mm) and weight (313 g) make the VX4 more suited for home use rather than travel.

Display and Controls:
The 95mm diagonal display is bright and clear, even in sunlight. The brightness dims after a minute but can be turned off completely. It shows battery type, voltage, real-time charge/discharge current, and charging progress. There are three buttons below the display: “C/V”, “MODE”, and “mWh/mAh”.

• C/V: Select maximum charging current (250, 500, 1000, 2000, 3000 mA) and switch between normal and LiFePO₄ modes.
  • MODE: Switch between showing real-time charging current and charged capacity, and toggle between charging and capacity test modes.
  • mWh/mAh: Switch between mWh and mAh (only for 1.5V Li-ion) and turn off the backlight.
Capacity-Testing Function:
This is where the VX4 shines. The capacity test charges the battery, discharges it to measure capacity, and then charges it again. The discharge current is fixed at around 300mA, so it takes time, especially for larger batteries. This feature is fantastic for checking the health of your batteries.

Performance Comparison:
The VX4’s softer springs were a highlight for me. They hold the batteries securely without being overly aggressive, which is a nice change from the Lii-PD4’s finger-snapping tension. Plus, they cause less wear on the batteries over time.

One feature the Lii-PD4 has that the VX4 lacks is the auto screen-off function. The VX4’s screen stays on, which might be annoying in a dark room or hotel. But hey, that’s where my trusty Golisi comes in handy. It’s compact, durable, and perfect for travel. The VX4 is definitely more suited for home use.

Conclusion:
The XTAR VX4 is a solid, reliable charger packed with features. It was sponsored by XTAR for this review, but you know me, I call a spade a spade. If there’s anything I don’t like, I’ll point it out. This way, you guys know what you’re getting, and manufacturers know what to improve.

For a versatile charger that can handle multiple battery types and test their capacity, the VX4 is a great choice. It’s perfect for home use and offers a smooth user experience with its clear display and easy-to-use controls.

Apology for Photos:
Sorry for the lack of photos, folks. I took some shots, but they didn’t come out great. It’s winter here in South Africa, and by the time I get home from work, the sun is already down. The lighting isn’t great, and my phone’s flash doesn’t do a shiny black box any favours. Plus, I don’t have professional photography equipment. Thanks for understanding!

Stay tuned for more reviews, and as always, keep on vaping!

Interesting. I recently (about 4 months ago) bought one of these and the springs on mine are quite tight (tighter than any of the previous chargers I've had, and I've had a few). Worth noting is that I exclusively use 21700's, so I may be stretching them, though their booklet states 21700's can be used on it. Also, I think my one slot broke. That's the down side.

The upside is quite positive though. This charger has brought batteries which were on the brink of being disposed of back to life again. My previous Nitecore charger would indicate they're full but then I only got about a half-day's worth of use from them (I typically get about a day's worth on my Gaur-21, but most of my batts are 2yrs+ old now, got 1.5 days in their prime). Put them in my XTAR and after two cycles they were up to almost a day again. Now if a charger can help restore a battery's life again, that's a big win as one does not (typically) buy chargers as often as you buy batteries and the latter can be expensive.

So I am slightly sad about the dead port, but not really phased as I only use two of the four and the fact that it is making my batteries last again is awesome.

Interesting. I recently (about 4 months ago) bought one of these and the springs on mine are quite tight (tighter than any of the previous chargers I've had, and I've had a few). Worth noting is that I exclusively use 21700's, so I may be stretching them, though their booklet states 21700's can be used on it. Also, I think my one slot broke. That's the down side.

The upside is quite positive though. This charger has brought batteries which were on the brink of being disposed of back to life again. My previous Nitecore charger would indicate they're full but then I only got about a half-day's worth of use from them (I typically get about a day's worth on my Gaur-21, but most of my batts are 2yrs+ old now, got 1.5 days in their prime). Put them in my XTAR and after two cycles they were up to almost a day again. Now if a charger can help restore a battery's life again, that's a big win as one does not (typically) buy chargers as often as you buy batteries and the latter can be expensive.

So I am slightly sad about the dead port, but not really phased as I only use two of the four and the fact that it is making my batteries last again is awesome.
Thanks for the feedback.

I have forwarded your comments about the springs to XTAR for review. They said they would look at what the problem might be. I think it is just QC not doing their job right.

I am actually sending them video footage comparing my old LiitoKala with the XTAR springs. Somehow they roped me into doing a lot more than just review the charger. (I should be asking for payment by now:wondering:)

It is like I said in my review, I will call out any problems with the device when I find them. That way, they have the opportunity to fix it and we end up getting a quality product.

Back