A silly question

DaveH

Vaping Enthusiast
LV

Awards
What is the main difference between a jet engine and a rocket engine?

Don't bother to look on google the answer isn't there.
Have a guess :)
Dave

Interesting @DaveH

I would say a jet engine is for flying within the atmosphere and a rocket engine for going into space

Haha

The main difference between the two types of engine is that a rocket carries its own supply of oxygen for combustion. A jet engine requires oxygen from the atmosphere for combustion, and so cannot operate in the vacuum of space

I didn't google it...........I BINGED IT;-)

A jet engine is powered to suck in air and spit it out, and a rocket engine just burns the fuel directly?

Jet engines use oxygen in the atmosphere to burn (liquid) fuel.
Rocket engines carry their own oxidizing agents (not always oxygen) to mix and react with their fuel (not always liquid).

How close am I, @DaveH?

The main difference between the two types of engine is that a rocket carries its own supply of oxygen for combustion. A jet engine requires oxygen from the atmosphere for combustion, and so cannot operate in the vacuum of space

I didn't google it...........I BINGED IT;-)
Noooo!!!!

Even if it can give you an answer Google can't, never Bing it!!! :hit:

Serious ? Any reason not to ?
No, no real reason at all! I was just joking about it because I get frustrated as my phone's default search engine is Bing, it won't let me google anything without a lot of effort, which just makes me sad. :rofl:

No, no real reason at all! I was just joking about it because I get frustrated as my phone's default search engine is Bing, it won't let me google anything without a lot of effort, which just makes me sad. :rofl:
:D Haha . Cool. Got me worried there for a second. Thought you knew something I didn't.

I also hate Bing with a passion

What is the main difference between a jet engine and a rocket engine?

Don't bother to look on google the answer isn't there.
Have a guess :)
Dave

Is this the same kinda question as to Whats the Difference between Jelly and Jam ?

Is this the same kinda question as to Whats the Difference between Jelly and Jam ?
No - it is not about semantics.
You are all very close.
To burn the fuel oxygen is required so no real difference there. However where the oxygen comes from is different and as you have all said a rocket carries it's own supply of oxygen for the rocket engine. However if one wanted to use a jet engine in outer space it could be done by carrying it's own oxygen.
Dave

Here's a clue, how do you know that Boeing you are sitting in on the runway has jet engines and not rocket engines? o_O
Dave

No - it is not about semantics.
You are all very close.
To burn the fuel oxygen is required so no real difference there. However where the oxygen comes from is different and as you have all said a rocket carries it's own supply of oxygen for the rocket engine. However if one wanted to use a jet engine in outer space it could be done by carrying it's own oxygen.
Dave

Sorry there a Dirty joke that asked.. Whats the Difference between jelly and Jam :p (dont think i can post the answer on the thread :p )

The Jet engine is capable of controlling its power-output?

The Jet engine is capable of controlling its power-output?
So can a liquid fueled rocket engine, solid fuel - well that is on or off.
Can one get a solid fueled jet engine - yes a Ram Jet.

Another clue, one can visually see the difference quite easily. :--)
Dave

So can a liquid fueled rocket engine, solid fuel - well that is on or off.
Can one get a solid fueled jet engine - yes a Ram Jet.

Another clue, one can visually see the difference quite easily. :--)
Dave
Jet has an intake?

Yes! Hehe!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Sorry there a Dirty joke that asked.. Whats the Difference between jelly and Jam :p (dont think i can post the answer on the thread :p )
this is off topic forum, whats the punchline?!!!.:-D

Back