Braai Check

Please give me some lessons on how to light a fire for braai tomorrow.
One Box of fire starter, one liter of paraffin, still couldn't get the wood to catch fire, gave up and had to use charcoal.
Old trick that my step dad tought me. Take the bottom of an egg carton. Fill each egg holder cavity with sunflower oil. Build your wood around it and place firefighters as normal. Its a bit messy but it works

Please give me some lessons on how to light a fire for braai tomorrow.
One Box of fire starter, one liter of paraffin, still couldn't get the wood to catch fire, gave up and had to use charcoal.
Well you should start off by not buying wet wood. If the wood is in plastic bag in shop and there is water condensation on plastic, dont buy it. Proper dry wood you will see most of the bark has fallen off and lay on bottom of bag.
This is the problem with wet wood, even if you manage to get it started, they will not make good coals for braaing. The edges get dried out and catch fire, while the insides are still drying out. It keeps going like that and you sit with more ash and just a few small pieces of coal.

But anyway. If you cant get anything else and have to use wood thats a bit wet.. You need a small axe. Ok if you want to braai often with wood(wet or dry) you will need a small axe. So now take one piece wood and cut into thin pieces, +-1cm thick, the lenght does not matter. That is for startng the fire, one piece of firestarter should do. Then all the other pieces of wood, use axe and cut them in half, better in quaters, and pack on fire as normal

@Faiyaz Cheulkar Google is your friend , I use the Woolworths method as below, more or less, packing parallel, but slightly tapered to the top. The top needs to be open, creating a chimny, firelighters at the bottom, idealy small pieces of wood/bark in the centre helps, otherwise tight formed balls of newspaper also works.

Using parafin, try taking a tuna tin, or usual 410g tin cut in halve, pour parafin, light it and stack wood, fine wood on top.

https://www.woolworths.co.za/recipe/_/A-cmp205225

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/how-to-make-the-perfect-braai-fire-2018-11

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just a tip for making your own firefighters at home,accumulate old teabags and let them dry up,once they all dried up,put in a container or small bucket and soak in paraffin,then use as firelighters for braai/fireplace etc ,works like a charm,tried and tested

Just a heads up - today is braai time. It is going to be an epic day with great friends, great wine, great vaping and great food

48764e18adf709f1244e7f8b387c38d5.jpg

And my signature salad

1eb49ade653ac4ae9f956a056c25f66e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woke up to a power outage throughout Dawncliffe.

Don't want cereal...

So let's have breakfast...

20181209_095524.jpg

This was from yesterday. Forgot to post.

Still chicken - but at least this time there's some boerewors as well. Was very nice.

Just miffed that the one piece of boerie fell between two sections of grates where the gap was a bit wider - so that piece had to be retired. Lol.

74fad8974e3da68bcbd9e26ca1ace503.jpg

Last edited:
This was from yesterday. Forgot to post.

Still chicken - but at least this time there's some boerewors as well. Was very nice.

Just miffed that the one piece of boerie fell between the grates so it had to be retired. Lol.

74fad8974e3da68bcbd9e26ca1ace503.jpg
Im sure most are just joking about the chicken, I love braaing a piece of chicken. And if you want a winner, you can now buy at Spar, Chip n Dip Cream cheese and chives sauce, its a winner on chicken. Ok actually a winner on anything

Im sure most are just joking about the chicken, I love braaing a piece of chicken. And if you want a winner, you can now buy at Spar, Chip n Dip Cream cheese and chives sauce, its a winner on chicken. Ok actually a winner on anything

Thanks for the tip @Jean claude Vaaldamme - will remember that
So far all I put on the chicken is a bit of that Braai seasoning salt - on either side. It crackles a bit on the braai and its delicious when the chicken is done.

Back