Calling all DIY'ers

Which berries go well with TFA banana cream? I'm thinking of TFA banana cream with Cap sweet strawberry but need a nice berry finish. What do you guys suggest ?

A raspberry could work, as @Viper_SA mentioned, for some reason I don't get on with FA raspberry but it's def worth a shot, some people love it.
Banana also pairs nicely with other tropical fruits e.g mango, papaya, lichi etc.
Berry crunch could also be an interesting candidate but you well get some grain notes out of that.
CAP Harvest berry should be OK. FA forest Fruit is also a good one but very strong.

A raspberry could work, as @Viper_SA mentioned, for some reason I don't get on with FA raspberry but it's def worth a shot, some people love it.
Banana also pairs nicely with other tropical fruits e.g mango, papaya, lichi etc.
Berry crunch could also be an interesting candidate but you well get some grain notes out of that.
I tried out berry crunch. You are correct about the grainy notes. Basically what I was going for was a banana and strawberry smoothie topped with some berries and cream.

I tried out berry crunch. You are correct about the grainy notes. Basically what I was going for was a banana and strawberry smoothie topped with some berries and cream.

In case you missed it cos I edited my post :
CAP Harvest berry should be OK, I find it a bit watery.
FA forest Fruit is also a good one but very strong.

FA forest fruit has a very strong blackcurrant taste tome, but I like it. I mix it with FA raspberry and FA strawberry, but I prefer the TFA ripe strawberry to be honest

Have never tried bilberry, sorry. Not even the real thing. Never heard of it before this site, lol

Good to see berry/fruity flavours being discussed, just tried to mix up a shake n vape tonight. It smells great and expected it to be full of flavour, but it's muted as hell, made recipe up on the fly so please advise if I got it horribly wrong:

Strawberry Ripe - 5%
Raspberry Sweet - 3%
Fuji - 3%
Honeysuckle - 1%
Koolada - 1%

Is something in there possibly muting the other flavours? Should I go higher percentages? I figured fruits are good to shake and vape, but all I'm getting is the coolness of the Koolada with almost no other flavours coming through. :confused:

Good to see berry/fruity flavours being discussed, just tried to mix up a shake n vape tonight. It smells great and expected it to be full of flavour, but it's muted as hell, made recipe up on the fly so please advise if I got it horribly wrong:

Strawberry Ripe - 5%
Raspberry Sweet - 3%
Fuji - 3%
Honeysuckle - 1%
Koolada - 1%

Is something in there possibly muting the other flavours? Should I go higher percentages? I figured fruits are good to shake and vape, but all I'm getting is the coolness of the Koolada with almost no other flavours coming through. :confused:

Let it steep before you make the final call.. koolada might be a bit on the high side, for my taste anyway.
Fruits benefit from steeping too!

Let it steep before you make the final call.. koolada might be a bit on the high side, for my taste anyway.
Fruits benefit from steeping too!

Cool I'll give it a day or 2, just find it strange as both Raspberry sweet and Fuji was quite potent right off the bat when I did them as single flavour mixes. Expected to at least taste them after a good shake. I'll let it rest over night and give it a toot tomorrow to see if there's any improvement.

Cool I'll give it a day or 2, just find it strange as both Raspberry sweet and Fuji was quite potent right off the bat when I did them as single flavour mixes. Expected to at least taste them after a good shake. I'll let it rest over night and give it a toot tomorrow to see if there's any improvement.

Yeah, the mysterious of mixing ;-)
But for sure the koolada will need some time to calm down.

Yeah, the mysterious of mixing ;-)
But for sure the koolada will need some time to calm down.

Mysterious in deed, might have a bermuda triangle in my mixing bottle. The Koolada didn't come across as particularly strong to my taste though, fairly subtle and I'm not a fan of menthols. (I know its not a menthol).

As a side note, I dig listening to your podcasts man. You mentioned you are working on creating a decent Honey mix, been looking for one myself, any tips you're willing to share?

Mysterious in deed, might have a bermuda triangle in my mixing bottle. The Koolada didn't come across as particularly strong to my taste though, fairly subtle and I'm not a fan of menthols. (I know its not a menthol).

As a side note, I dig listening to your podcasts man. You mentioned you are working on creating a decent Honey mix, been looking for one myself, any tips you're willing to share?

Thanks ;-)

Honey, my nemesis - the recipe has changed sooo many times now. If you're after a fairly authentic honey, a good starting point is FA Honey at around 0.25-0.5% with some sweetening, which can come from sweetener, caramel or a fruit like fuji, fig or even peach.
Then some creams - fresh cream is pretty good and neutral.

Something like:

FA Honey 0.25 - 0.5%
FA Caramel 1%
FA Fresh Cream 2%
optional Sucralose 0.5%
Fruit of choice or leave out .

Another thing that goes well with this type of setup is nuts - almond, hazelnut etc.

Needs a good few days (5 at least) for the honey to steep.

Thanks ;-)

Honey, my nemesis - the recipe has changed sooo many times now. If you're after a fairly authentic honey, a good starting point is FA Honey at around 0.25-0.5% with some sweetening, which can come from sweetener, caramel or a fruit like fuji, fig or even peach.
Then some creams - fresh cream is pretty good and neutral.

Something like:

FA Honey 0.25 - 0.5%
FA Caramel 1%
FA Fresh Cream 2%
optional Sucralose 0.5%

Another thing that goes well with this type of setup is nuts - almond, hazelnut etc.

Needs a good few days (5 at least) for the honey to steep.

Thanks man, only have TFA in those flavours and the honey has been a real pain to work with. Will stock up on those FA flavours and give it a whirl. Want to try my hand at extracting some Rooibos and moer it in with a nice honey mix, hoping it will pair well. The optional Sucralose, reckon TFA sweetener will do the job?

Thanks man, only have TFA in those flavours and the honey has been a real pain to work with. Will stock up on those FA flavours and give it a whirl. Want to try my hand at extracting some Rooibos and moer it in with a nice honey mix, hoping it will pair well. The optional Sucralose, reckon TFA sweetener will do the job?

Yeah TFA is the simplest to use, 10% dilution in PG and water, lots of recipes use it etc.
TFA honey is straight unusable imo, FA is in a different class.
You could sub the caramel and cream for TFA caramels and creams and see how it goes, but obviously if you're chasing the honey profile, the choice of honey flavour is essential.

With your rooibos extract I guess you could start with 0.25% FA Honey, a bit of sweetener and leave out the creams unless you like your rooibos with milk ;-)

Yeah TFA is the simplest to use, 10% dilution in PG and water, lots of recipes use it etc.
TFA honey is straight unusable imo, FA is in a different class.
You could sub the caramel and cream for TFA caramels and creams and see how it goes, but obviously if you're chasing the honey profile, the choice of honey flavour is essential.

With your rooibos extract I guess you could start with 0.25% FA Honey, a bit of sweetener and leave out the creams unless you like your rooibos with milk ;-)

Thanks for all the input Joel, appreciate it :). Might take me while, but will report back if I manage to hit gold.

That's awesome thanks @Richio
And you'rl have a wide range of concentrates !
I'm sure you will receive much support from us !

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Strawberry Ripe - 5%
Raspberry Sweet - 3%
Fuji - 3%
Honeysuckle - 1%
Koolada - 1%

Depending on what you're going for in my experience your dominating fruits in that mix is going to be:

1. Apple (Tart)
2. Raspberry (Sweet)
3. Strawberry (Sweet/Tart/Sour - Sour until it steeps, then it becomes sweeter)

Koolada is also Acidic. Maybe try and flip this to have something a little sweeter.

I steeping it doesn't do much try:

Strawberry Ripe - 6%
Raspberry Sweet - 3%
Fuji - 1.5%
Honeysuckle - 2%
Koolada - 0.5%

Good luck.

Back