Can I use organic cotton balls to wick coils?

Just another pointer, if you use the circular Dischem organic cotton pads, look carefully, they have a "grain" i.e. tiny lines. After you separate the pad into 2 pieces, you must cut with the grain, as with the Japanese cotton pads. Then roll the cotton with the smooth section on the inside and the fluffy section on the outside.

Works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just another pointer, if you use the circular Dischem organic cotton pads, look carefully, they have a "grain" i.e. tiny lines. After you separate the pad into 2 pieces, you must cut with the grain, as with the Japanese cotton pads. Then roll the cotton with the smooth section on the inside and the fluffy section on the outside.

Works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is not too much trouble, can you take a short video of you doing this?

Or a series of photos will also work great...

@Herco -- Having failed with the video clip I made, I decided to post a series of photos, as you asked, showing how to use the Commercial Organic Cotton pads. No boiling required. Just use out of the pack. The pads must be "Organic".
IMG_1643.JPG
Take the cotton pad and prise a sharp tweezer in the middle to separate the two pieces. Try to separate evenly.

IMG_1657.JPG
Gently peel the 2 pieces apart. Notice, the inside is fluffy and the outside is smooth with thin lines.

IMG_1666.JPG
The left pic is the outside with the lines going vertically. The right is the inside of the cotton pad. The inside fluffy piece is going to be outside when rolling.
IMG_1673.JPG
Now cut out the two outer pieces of both pieces, in the direction of the lines, i.e., "with the grain" leaving a piece in the middle. You will have to gauge how thick to cut it based on the size of the ID of the coils. It may take a bit of practice.

IMG_1687.JPG
Now you have the centre piece that you are going to roll up. This is the average thickness for a 3.0 ID. Discard the two outer pieces.

IMG_1691.JPG
NB...Now roll up the piece with the outside, smooth piece with the lines inside. So the fluffy section is on the outside.

IMG_1707.JPG
If the rolled up piece is too thick, gently stroke off the excess with your 3 fingers on both sides.

IMG_1715.JPG
Pre burn your coils as usual to ensure they are working properly. Twist the one end and insert into your coils. It must fit snug.

IMG_1725.JPG
Not too tight, not too loose. if you battle to insert, just twist and keep trying. Trim the ends to the length of the base of the juice well.

IMG_1735.JPG
Using your sharp tweeters, fluff out the ends by stroking gently. Remove any hard pieces from the outer skin. See my tweeters are smoothing out a hard piece. If the ends are too long, just trim shorter.

IMG_1746.JPG
Tuck in the fluffy pieces gently. Not too tight, not too loose. Juice up and fire. Replace the atty cap and enjoy using commercial organic cotton balls.

Hope this was useful.

Last edited:
After all this time, I have finally learned how to do the "Scottish Roll" method with these Organic cotton pads. I have now perfected the wicking with these. Wow, what a difference. Do yourself a favour and Google the "Scottish Roll" wicking method. Then use the pads. Awesome -- you get more hits out of an RDA.

Back