DIY - Your first time

Well from experience with the other SkyBlue strawberry juices they all seem to be bright yellow when well steeped.

When I mixed them up they were transparent - I vaped a bit and it was "bleh"...
So I started the long steep and after about 2 days they were getting a bit yellowish. Now after a week they are a nice yellow - not quite as yellow as I'm used to, but very close.

So I'll leave it a few more days and see what it does :D

Ah okay, thank you.
So I need to get used to the different colours of juices, and judge next time round.

Ah okay, thank you.
So I need to get used to the different colours of juices, and judge next time round.

I think so yes...I'm not too sure about all flavours and their respective colors, but I can now definitely say that strawberry = yellow :D

Also...
The energy drink flavour turns a kind of pinkish orange.
The pineapple has almost no color, just a very light "less transparent" look (almost yellow, but not quite). It does not require or change much with steeping though - it's good to go immediately.

Maybe some other folks who have some experience can add what colors the various flavours become with steeping, for reference :nerd:

The colour change will also depend on Nicotine content, the higher the nicotine the darker the colour and the lower the Nicotine content the lighter-no colour change will be.

I've got no 0mg nic that have changed colour and that goes for the strawberry aswell :)

Exception is the TFA Cherry, no matter what the nic content it's still clear....

Last edited:
Thanks @Melinda that is very interesting to know - so the flavour determines the color, but only if you add nicotine to the mix...how wonderfully bizarre :D

Forgot to mention, the Peppermint flavour I have also stays clear :)

Might have to dig out some old chemistry books ;)

Just finished my first 2 mixes and as was probably with all new to DIY, I just had to try them, and I must say I am fairly impressed.

My first mix is a 40/60 PG/VG mix with 12mg nic (aprox) and 10% RY4 Asian . It has that nice sweet after taste that I like.

My second mix is also a 40/60 PG/VG mix with 12mg nic but with 10% Chocolate Brownie and 2% Sweat Cream. This one tastes really good. It has a great smooth effect on the pallet and leaves a nice chocolaty aftertaste.

Will now leave them to steep and see what they are like after steeping.

i have made to batches of dulce de leche.the first one wasn't bad but not as good as i wanted it,the second one came out allot better that one is mixed with a bit of bavarian cream and a bit of coolada,its still steeping but smelled really good

Ok so I'm about to try my first DIY flavour. Its not so much as much a new flavour as it is an improvement to my existing flavours. Im going to add 1 part glycerin to 2 parts flavour. As far as I understand, all i have to do is add the glycerin to the flavour and allow it to steep. But is it REALLY necessary to let it steep? All im doing is adding VG to an existing flavour, steeping doesn't seem necessary?

Ok so I'm about to try my first DIY flavour. Its not so much as much a new flavour as it is an improvement to my existing flavours. Im going to add 1 part glycerin to 2 parts flavour. As far as I understand, all i have to do is add the glycerin to the flavour and allow it to steep. But is it REALLY necessary to let it steep? All im doing is adding VG to an existing flavour, steeping doesn't seem necessary?

Steeping will probably get you back some of the lost flavour due to diluting it, but not much. Try it without steeping and then later after steeping - it's the best way to learn how a particular juice responds when diluted :)

TL;DR it's never required to steep, but it can make things better :D

Just finished my first 2 mixes and as was probably with all new to DIY, I just had to try them, and I must say I am fairly impressed.

My first mix is a 40/60 PG/VG mix with 12mg nic (aprox) and 10% RY4 Asian . It has that nice sweet after taste that I like.

My second mix is also a 40/60 PG/VG mix with 12mg nic but with 10% Chocolate Brownie and 2% Sweat Cream. This one tastes really good. It has a great smooth effect on the pallet and leaves a nice chocolaty aftertaste.

Will now leave them to steep and see what they are like after steeping.

Nicely done :clap:

That first successful DIY is just amazing..having, uhm, well...done it yourself :p;)

Some flavours really get much better with steeping, while others don't change much at all, so experimentation is key :D

@Derick I have found that the passion fruit also doesn't agree with the polycarbonate tanks. After vaping a few mls I find it creates a white film on the inside of the tank. Doesn't do this in glass tanks though
Cool, thanks - will take a look this evening :)

I have a question - @Melinda told me 2 weeks to steep.

However, I wanted a taster and tried both my mixes, a week after mixing.

I wasn't impressed with either really. So after a week, is the flavour pretty much what I can expect in the next week? Or can it change quite a bit still?

I'm worried I'm going to end up chucking my first 40ml's :)

Hi @r0gue z0mbie. I have found that steeping does improve the flavour of the juice. I can't really say if there is a major difference between a week and two weeks but I know after a week there is a more rounded deeper flavour than vaping just after mixing. For some flavours a longer steep time does change the flavor, e.g tobacco flavours taste much better the longer they steeped. Another word of novice advice would be to make 10 mls at a time instead of 20 ml. Enjoy the creative experience

Hi @r0gue z0mbie. I have found that steeping does improve the flavour of the juice. I can't really say if there is a major difference between a week and two weeks but I know after a week there is a more rounded deeper flavour than vaping just after mixing. For some flavours a longer steep time does change the flavor, e.g tobacco flavours taste much better the longer they steeped. Another word of novice advice would be to make 10 mls at a time instead of 20 ml. Enjoy the creative experience

Ah okay, thank you.

Ya I'll go with 10mls next time :)

Ah okay, thank you.

Ya I'll go with 10mls next time :)

Steep time and the flavour change it gives is highly dependent on the flavouring used, as well as the number of flavours/additives used. Some gain almost nothing from steeping while others taste like crap unless very well steeped. It is a bit of a "try and see taste" affair :)

For testing small amounts you can also try heat steeping to speed up the process...it won't be quite as good as slow and steady steeping, but it does provide quick and tangible results :D

My own as well as my bought juices sits in the bottom of my very dark vape case for at least a week after I purchased them before I vape on them

I made a 10ml batch of TFA Black Cherry at 50/50 with 10mg nic and 8% flavour. So far it smells amazing, but I'm waiting a week before trying it.
I also made a 5ml batch of Dulce de Leche also at 50/50 with 10mg nic and 8% flavour. The smell of the de leche is not as strong as the black cherry, but if it's not good, at least it's only a 5ml bottle ;)

I will post results/impressions when I give them a taste ;)

I made a 10ml batch of TFA Black Cherry at 50/50 with 10mg nic and 8% flavour. So far it smells amazing, but I'm waiting a week before trying it.
I also made a 5ml batch of Dulce de Leche also at 50/50 with 10mg nic and 8% flavour. The smell of the de leche is not as strong as the black cherry, but if it's not good, at least it's only a 5ml bottle ;)

You should try a little bit just after mixing...it might taste weak/crap/etc but it is very interesting to taste just how much (or not at all) the stuff improves with time :D

I am eagerly awaiting the feedback on the dulce. The black cherry is good and IMO matures nicely after two to three weeks.

You should try a little bit just after mixing...it might taste weak/crap/etc but it is very interesting to taste just how much (or not at all) the stuff improves with time :D

I've been told by a few vapers that there is no point in trying out the juice within the first 3 days, as the ingredients haven't mixed properly yet and that you will get an inaccurate flavour profile from the mix. I'd love to try out my mixes as I make them, but I've been told so many times from so many people it's just not worth it, that I just am too scared now to give it a go...

To quote Bill from ECF, if a mix tastes good directly after mixing it can get better with steeping. But if it tastes bad chances are steeping will not help.....

I've been told by a few vapers that there is no point in trying out the juice within the first 3 days, as the ingredients haven't mixed properly yet and that you will get an inaccurate flavour profile from the mix. I'd love to try out my mixes as I make them, but I've been told so many times from so many people it's just not worth it, that I just am too scared now to give it a go...

They are correct, in a way - it is not so good sometimes - but sometimes it's almost perfect right off the bat. I taste each one - just a little taste - and then compare it to well steeped. Some flavours require almost no steeping and unless you taste it after mixing you will forever steep them without any need for it :D

Last edited:
Yeah, steeping is very flavour dependent - I also taste after mixing and over all, steeping tends to round out things a bit, but if there is a taste to it that you don't like, then I doubt steeping would make a difference.

All bets are off with tobacco flavours though, some can go from horrible to pretty freaking awesome after 3 months of steeping :)

I've made 2 successful batches of juice so far - Peaches and cream and Strawberries and cream, both at 70vg/30pg, 3mg nic and 10% Flavour. I combined the heat steeping method to aid with mixing and left them to steep in 50ml brown medicine bottles for two weeks.

S+C is an awesome, creamy milkshake - my wife says it smells like Nesquick haha. Peaches and cream is less creamy but definately more fruity. I've got 15ml batches of RY4 Double and Amaretto on the steep for about a week now, same ratios as above. I sampled the Amaretto this morning and I feel it needs a percent or two more concentrate - both the RY4 and Amaretto smell great so far but I'm gonna try the RY4 in a dripper this evening and give them both another week or so to steep

Got a batch of concentrate and base ingredients from the good folks over at SkyBlue today so will be mixing up a batch of each this week. Bottles have been an issue for me, had to wait to empty bottles before I mixed more but I found a place that wholesales bottles today and for about R170 I got 10x50ml, 10x30ml, 5x100ml, 10x30ml + pipette droppers, (all brown glass) as well as 10x30ml and 10x10ml plastic droppers. So Now I have a years' supply of bottles ha ha.

Back