Gizmodo: E Cigs Put Out Carcinogens

Holy crap!

That's quite a list. The tartaric acid. Sodium hydroxide and lactic acid got my attention. I'm looking at my stinkies with an evil eye now.

Sent from my Xperia ZL using Tapatalk

Vanilla, Orange, Cinnamon, Sandalwood, Lemongrass, Apple. Never once had a stinky that tasted like any of those?

The one that got my attention is Urea :confused:

Urea, also called carbamide, is an organic chemical compound, and is essentially the waste produced by the body after metabolizing protein. Naturally, the compound is produced when the liver breaks down protein or amino acids, and ammonia; the kidneys then transfer the urea from the blood to the urine.

The anise got my attention. Maybe that is how they get stinkies to taste like anus?

I think the flavours are the real unknown element in ejuice. We know that PG and VG can be safely metabolised by the body, but what compounds emerge from the flavourants?

Anise tastes like liquorice.

Sent from my Xperia ZL using Tapatalk

The anise got my attention. Maybe that is how they get stinkies to taste like anus?

I think the flavours are the real unknown element in ejuice. We know that PG and VG can be safely metabolised by the body, but what compounds emerge from the flavourants?

I agree, I've been thinking. What goes in to the flavourants? What happens when they get heated up to the the point of vaporizing.

I agree, I've been thinking. What goes in to the flavourants? What happens when they get heated up to the the point of vaporizing.

Currently that is the biggest question - although all the flavourants have been approved for human consumption only a few of them (like Diacetyl) have been tested and proven to be harmful when inhaling.

The rest... they just don't know, no tests have been done ever

mother ducker that's a list and a half!!! :whew: i'm so stoked that i'm stinkie free!!!! :rock:

Currently that is the biggest question - although all the flavourants have been approved for human consumption only a few of them (like Diacetyl) have been tested and proven to be harmful when inhaling.

The rest... they just don't know, no tests have been done ever

Do you think there will be any tests done any time soon. I think this might be the biggest problem in the vaping world.

mother ducker that's a list and a half!!! :whew: i'm so stoked that i'm stinkie free!!!! :rock:
And that list is BEFORE combustion - during combustion another 2000 or so chemicals is created - in the end you get in around 5000 chemicals or so

Well I don't think it is hard to imagine that flavours could contain chemicals that catalyse during vaporisation and become dangerous.

Remember that the flavours are GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) when consumed orally. Nothing is known about super heating them

Now I've got a good story to tell my grandchildren one day - Oupa once smoked P#@ (urea) and a lot of other K@#, if you don't believe me here's the list.

Do you think there will be any tests done any time soon. I think this might be the biggest problem in the vaping world.

I'm sure there will be, FDA etc. will either demand that the tests be done or do it themselves.

You can always go flavour free - just vape straight up DIY juice - but if you do that, then you might as well stop eating salt in your diet, stop having that glass of wine before bed and stop drinking Soda of any kind :)

Just about everything we do has some element of risk to it, it just depends on how much fun you are willing to give up to avoid that risk :)

Well I don't think it is hard to imagine that flavours could contain chemicals that catalyse during vaporisation and become dangerous.

Remember that the flavours are GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) when consumed orally. Nothing is known about super heating them

In my society "Gras" is considered illegal and very dangerous ;)??

in my opinion... this cancer causing chemical reaction from vaping is a milifraction of the cancer causing chemicals and chemical reactions in smoking... i'm happy vaping and will definitely not be converting back to stinkies just because of this one factor... (if it's even true...) Vaper for life :rock:

Everything in life has a risk, and to be quite honest the risks that vaping offers is minuscule compared to all the other sh!t we catch on in our lives.

I'm sure there will be, FDA etc. will either demand that the tests be done or do it themselves.

You can always go flavour free - just vape straight up DIY juice - but if you do that, then you might as well stop eating salt in your diet, stop having that glass of wine before bed and stop drinking Soda of any kind :)

Just about everything we do has some element of risk to it, it just depends on how much fun you are willing to give up to avoid that risk :)

There is no way I'm giving up Flavor, or any of the other things...:--P But it would be nice to have the answers if any one ever asked me or try'd to convince me vaping is bad.

There is no way I'm giving up Flavor, or any of the other things...:--P But it would be nice to have the answers if any one ever asked me or try'd to convince me vaping is bad.

Agreed, what I always say to them is that my health improvement after a started vaping is proof enough for me that vaping is perhaps not good, but orders of magnitude less harmful to me than smoking.

As stated, all things come with risk. I personally feel that I have chosen the less of two evils by dropping the stinkys and started vaping. Last week I relapsed when my last battery (I lost one on the plane the week before that) died and had a few stinkys (I'll ensure that never happens again!). Firstly they tasted horrible but more importantly they made me feel so lethargic. Then there is the smell that permeates and lingers in the room. I could smell that stinky on my fingers for at least an hour afterwards (even after washing my hands).

I too was a bit down when I read the article but I'll wait for the actual study to be release and scrutinize that instead of some media house that is driven by sensationalism to ensure profitability.

Lastly, if we are going to nitpick every bad habit we partake in, we may as well just not be born; think of food chemicals, carbon monoxide we inhale sitting in traffic, alcohol consumption, inhaling deodorant / hairspray, caffiene etc. The list is endless!

My 2c... Vape on!

I understand in this test they put the atty thingy on a machine thingy and then measures stuffs. I dont inhale dry hits, my body pretty much prevents me from doing that. But the machine thingy will then measure that and say "eh, there's bad stuffs in here"
We know what burnt juice is like, the machine doesnt, it just says "hey, I found more bad stuff here"

As for the flavourings, regarded as safe, food use, I suppose you are meant to put them in something like a pot of water with meat and tomatoes and potatoes and then boil gently at 100deg and it smells divine. (not a chef, but you get where I am going)

Ultimately though, even if ecigs were as bad as cigarettes, I smoked cigarettes willingly. These are still cheaper and taste nicer.

Back