Flavour and throat hit seeker
Staff member
Administrator
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
I don't mind the gentle sound of a mellow vaporising taking place

But some devices are noisier than others and they can cause a bit of bother, especially when watching TV with the wife. Or when working and trying to concentrate - I like my silence :D

But how noisy are they?

In the name of Science and for a bit of fun I pulled out my iPad and checked the dB levels with my trusty decibel meter. Its an app for iOS called Decibel 10th. I see it has recently been renamed Decibel 10. Lovely app and has been working for ages.
  • I tested the decibels of no noise at home - 40dB
  • My Subtank Mini - 61dB - noisy little thing!
  • Kayfun V5 - 56dB - a lot quieter!
I have also included a poll - please answer it and leave your comments below. Better still, get the app and measure the dB readings for your vape gear. Lets see what those vicious tanks and drippers with vicious coils measure out at ;-)

Here is the step by step with my screenshots:

Ok, lets get a benchmark. No noise at home:
40dB

image.png

Now lets test the Subtank Mini at 12Watts. It is a bit noisy!
61dB !

image.png

Now lets test the Kayfun V5 at 10 Watts
56dB !

Told you it was quieter than the other devices. Great!

image.png

All noisy (whistler) devices can be fixed and/or quiet down. The noise is generated (or amplified) by sharp air entry- and exit vents - just take some fine sandpaper and round the air vents (inside as well as outside), problem solved.

Your subtank is a noisy bugger @Silver :-D

Just downloaded the app now.
And ran two setups taking deep inhales.

The Kylin hit 51db
Capture+_2017-04-28-21-22-32.png

The Goon 24 reading at 48db
Capture+_2017-04-28-21-22-53.png

wow, thanks @Clouds4Days

Just for calobration purposes, did you measure what is was when there was no noise?

Also, i found it challenging to take the screenshot and vape at the same time, so for the record, my readings were me bending down quite close to the iPad. I dont know where the microphone is on my iPad but i would say the atty was about 10cm away from the screen.

I was just wondering something now @Silver do you think all phones/tablets mics would have the same sort of sensitivity or that they would be more a less equal?

Wait, i tell you what, we need a standard way of doing this
Then we can get DB readings versus a no noise environment and take the delta as the reading for that atty.

I can tell you my Reo/RM2 or my moms Nautilus X may just be the quietest vape around
Or maybe my little Evod. Stealth machines of note!

wow, thanks @Clouds4Days

Just for calobration purposes, did you measure what is was when there was no noise?

Also, i found it challenging to take the screenshot and vape at the same time, so for the record, my readings were me bending down quite close to the iPad. I dont know where the microphone is on my iPad but i would say the atty was about 10cm away from the screen.

I just did another test on the goon , my previous reading was 48db holding my phone close to the atty .
I held the mic part this time almost against the Goon and got a reading of 55db this time

I was just wondering something now @Silver do you think all phones/tablets mics would have the same sort of sensitivity or that they would be more a less equal?

I am not sure @Clouds4Days but i doubt it
Maybe someone who is a sound expert can chime in here

Maybe the software adjusts for the sensitivity of the microphone, who knows

The best would be the same person with the same device and software to measure all the devices.

Ok, maybe we should mominate someone to be the official dB rating measurer. Hehe
Everyone on the forum can send all their atties to Mr Fisher for sound testing. He has enough microphones to run a recording studio! Only kidding.

Interesting though...

I just did another test on the goon , my previous reading was 48db holding my phone close to the atty .
I held the mic part this time almost against the Goon and got a reading of 55db this time

Actually, if one is measuring the sound of the atty from one's own perspective, the best is to get the atty aboit the same distance to the mic as it is to your ears, i.e. Quite close.

For measuring how it bothers others, then it must be further away, say a 1m test...

Oh wow interesting exercise... the noise doesn't generally bother me but it does annoy people around me like family... the BB seems to be the quietest of the current devices I'm using coming in at 53dB... the Skyline at 55dB... but the house is a bit noisy with the TV on and people talking so will redo when it's nice and quiet. My keyboard is a lot more noisy at 74db while I'm typing.

Actually, if one is measuring the sound of the atty from one's own perspective, the best is to get the atty aboit the same distance to the mic as it is to your ears, i.e. Quite close.

For measuring how it bothers others, then it must be further away, say a 1m test...

Im going to conduct a test like that now @Silver give me 15 min and i will report back :)

All noisy (whistler) devices can be fixed and/or quiet down. The noise is generated (or amplified) by sharp air entry- and exit vents - just take some fine sandpaper and round the air vents (inside as well as outside), problem solved.
Definitely going to try this in the morning.

Thanks @johan !
Missed that post of yours ;-)

The noise coming from my subtank and Kayfun is not really whistling from air but it sounds like its the vaporisation itself. The noise when just pressing the fire button without inhaling is virtually the same as when inhaling as well - at least on these two atties. So fixing the whistling on these is not an issue.

Ok so the Test subjects from left to right
SM25
Goon 24
Kylin
Hadaley
SM22
Snapdragon v1.5
20170428_214631_HDR.jpg

First up SM25
Ear distance 34db:
Capture+_2017-04-28-21-47-58.png

1M away 24db:
Capture+_2017-04-28-21-48-20.png

Next up Goon 24
Ear distance 34db
Capture+_2017-04-28-21-52-43.png

1M away 25db
Capture+_2017-04-28-21-53-31.png

3rd up Kylin
Ear distance 41db
Capture+_2017-04-28-21-55-30.png

1M away 25db
Capture+_2017-04-28-21-53-31.png

4th up Hadaly
Ear distance 44db
Capture+_2017-04-28-21-57-23.png

1M away 24db
Capture+_2017-04-28-21-57-40.png

5th up SM22
Ear distance 49db
Capture+_2017-04-28-21-59-03.png

1M away 38 db
Capture+_2017-04-28-21-59-19.png

Last up Snapdragon 1.5
Ear distance 54db
Capture+_2017-04-28-22-01-02.png

1M away 39db
Capture+_2017-04-28-22-01-14.png

Conclusion: smaller attys seem to be louder than the larger atties and also the more restricted the airflow the louder they are.

I also found most larger attys from 1meter away were all very close to the same reading around 25db

My findings the SM22 and snapdragon were the loudest and bothe are 22mm attys , the snapdragon was the loudest and it can only be because the airflow is the most restricted from all the attys tested.

Last edited:
Wow, that is super @Clouds4Days
Thanks for all the tests!
Like your conclusions.

Just one thing, please can you take a reading of no noise in yoir test environment. I would like to see.
I have a feeling your environment is very quiet.
Making me worried now about my home. Lol

Wow, that is super @Clouds4Days
Thanks for all the tests!
Like your conclusions.

Just one thing, please can you take a reading of no noise in yoir test environment. I would like to see.
I have a feeling your environment is very quiet.
Making me worried now about my home. Lol

My lounge was also noisy at around 30db so i did the DB Test in the bedroom, with doors closed so that i didnt have too much interferance it jumps between 6db and 14db

Capture+_2017-04-28-22-17-21.png

Where did you test the dB of your atties?
Thats where you need to test the no noise reading

Anyway, i think your place is very quiet.
My no noise is about 35-40dB

I am now very curious and potentially envious. I may need to come sleep at your place some time @Clouds4Days :rofl:

Where did you test the dB of your atties?
Thats where you need to test the no noise reading

Anyway, i think your place is very quiet.
My no noise is about 35-40dB

I am now very curious and potentially envious. I may need to come sleep at your place some time @Clouds4Days :rofl:

Both were tested in the same place.
Lol... Its strange because i also live close to the R24 Highway, but tonight is a bit quiet especially since our neighbours arent having any parties...

O wait its only 22:50 they usually only decide to start making noise around 01:00 :-D

She's a screamer I tell you, and.........oh, sorry. Wrong thread :rolleyes:

It's a bit noisy in the complex at the moment. At arms length my Azeroth doesn't even register.

Will try again tonight, when all the other units are asleep you can hear a worm dart.

Very interesting thread @Silver.
I can't find any of my iPads as my son takes them and uses them for entertainment so I'll install that app when I eventually an re united with them.
Using another app I get 17db ambient noise.
37db with thr kayfun.
50db with a Ol16.

Very interesting thread @Silver.
I can't find any of my iPads as my son takes them and uses them for entertainment so I'll install that app when I eventually an re united with them.
Using another app I get 17db ambient noise.
37db with thr kayfun.
50db with a Ol16.

Thanks @Christos
Good to see the KF is quieter. Lol

Yup looks like 20db for the kayfun. It is one of the most silent vapes I have. I suspect the ol16 is noisier because of the wild clapton build I have in it :D
Ya, you like your wild noisy claptons!

Back