In Search of the Stinkie Conversion Device!

Rob Fisher

ECIGSSA Admin
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
FINES MASTER
LV

Awards
We have discussed this since we all discovered vaping and things have certainly changed from the eGo and Mini Protank 2 days... and having been to a few meets and shop openings and generally hanging around in Vape Shops listening and helping newbies I have realised that there really is a need for a simple, easy to use, effective nic delivery device, cheapish, MTL device.

I have always tended to recommend a Pico but I'm not sure it's the best for a newbie because it's not really a MTL device and it's not appealing to the smoker or the ladies... yes I still think the Pico Kit is the best value for money device around right now but it's maybe a second device a newbie should buy... so what are we going to recommend?

On my travels I picked up a few devices to test and we can chat about them and other in this thread!

Twisp 007.JPG

I find that people knock the clearo, but out of the twisp range it wat the best experience really. People knock twisp juices, but if used in the clearo they were designed for, they really are ideal. Enough Nic, and with the tiny little coil of the clearo, I got almost 2 full days out of a battery.

I dont see anything wrong with that as a MTL replacement to cigarettes.

The others from twisp are just rubbish.

Great thread @Rob Fisher. Much needed.

From a functional and fuss free point of view my recommendation so far has been the Pico with the Vaporesso Guardian tank. No leaking, no gurgling, no spitting, top filling, longer lasting ceramic coil (which works every time), perfect for MTL. However, it could be seen as too expensive and most new vapers like even smaller than that.

I have not tried the iCare, but seems to me it requires higher nic, which is not widely available.

Looking forward the the development of this thread.

This is an interesting topic.

I truly believe that Twisp is the best route to take on conversion (excluding the Vega). Easy access to coils/juice. Enough nicotine in a bottle to satisfy a flock of sheep and their flavours taste pretty good. But... the problem with most of these starter kits is that they become "unsatisfying" fairly quickly. Generally, smokers cannot handle DL. But shortly after switching from stinkies to MTL vaping, we tend to seek the DL experience.

Most folk who I've assisted with converting did not want anything to do with a device thats not a tube, at first. But then like most of us, end up spending thousands trying to keep things interesting and satisfying, and ultimately off cigarettes.

Winner winner thread @Rob Fisher

This is going to be brilliant

I too need a great MTL suggestion for new vapers.

My mom is looking for a fourth MTL device - and she wants something easy with commercial coils that will give her a good vape while browsing the computer. I still think the best MTL vape is a Reo/RM2 but that requires rebuilding, rewicking and overseas ordering - and its not cheap.

I have also bought a few devices the past few days on this quest so I will contribute my findings over time.

iCare
I couldnt resist setting it up on Sunday. My word it is small! Its so cute!. Got it from HOV at their opening. First impression is that I am not happy. Its not tight enough even when you close down the airflow control fully - and I am getting juice in the mouth quite a bit. Am using a 50/50 14mg Strawberry menthol mix in there. It has some potential but my first impression was not that good. Maybe I wet the coil too much before setting it up. I tried to follow the instruction leaflet.

Nautilus X
Oh crap, my glass is broken in the package. Not sure if its because I dropped it while leaving the VK opening or if it was cracked before - but will have to sort that out. @Stroodlepuff I will be messaging you when I get some time. Lol
I have high hopes for this tank though.

Ego Aio D22
This was advised versus the thinner "normal" Aio because its airflow is more "controllable". Am holding thumbs because I like the look of this and its available at a lot of places. My mom quite likes it too. Got it from Vape Cartel at their shop opening on Saturday.

Great thread @Rob Fisher. Much needed.

From a functional and fuss free point of view my recommendation so far has been the Pico with the Vaporesso Guardian tank. No leaking, no gurgling, no spitting, top filling, longer lasting ceramic coil (which works every time), perfect for MTL. However, it could be seen as too expensive and most new vapers like even smaller than that.

I have not tried the iCare, but seems to me it requires higher nic, which is not widely available.

Looking forward the the development of this thread.

@Andre you have mentioned the Guardian a few times.
Where does one get it?

And how tight is the airflow? I know you are capable of doing mouth to lung on a loose(ish) draw. But I need something quite tight. Can it go tight?

@Andre you have mentioned the Guardian a few times.
Where does one get it?

And how tight is the airflow? I know you are capable of doing mouth to lung on a loose(ish) draw. But I need something quite tight. Can it go tight?
Extremely tight on the smallest hole - tighter than a RM2. Second hole is about RM2 draw. Then it has a slot if you want more air. Saw them in stock at eCiggies.
authentic-vaporesso-guardian-ccell-tank-atomizer-for-target-mini-silver-stainless-steel-2ml-22mm-diameter.jpg

Thanks @Andre
you are a champ!
That sounds great

Thanks @Andre
you are a champ!
That sounds great
Do not bother with the 1.4 ohm coils or the so called MTL drip tip, which comes extra. The 0.5 ohm coils and the normal (replaceable) drip tip is more than fine for MTL. Tips I picked up from other Guardian tank users on the forum.

Twisp has a fantastic advertising campaign and there kiosks seem to be popping up everywhere, i do believe they are the reason vapeing took off in South Africa or at least brought awareness, seriously how many times have you heard "is that a twisp?" yes its annoying but better than the "deer staring into the headlights" we experience. i just dont agree with there price point, especially on juice, roughly R10 per ml, wich is due to there extensive advertising, simular to Beats headphones.

I generally recommend a AIO and local juice, that seems to be the cheapest solution to get a "taste" of vapeing

I personally dont MTL, will stay tuned to hear what i can recommend in future

I ordered an iJust 2 kit for a friend of mine - hoping to get her off of the stinkies. I'll see how it goes for her and give feedback.

My thinking was that it's a pretty straightforward device and easy to use (no rebuilding or fiddling with settings etc). It also fits the mold of the twisp/cigarette in its tube shape which new vapers often need.

I'm hoping it has longevity in that she won't need an upgrade too soon, but if she does I'm tempted to take it off her hands!

I ordered an iJust 2 kit for a friend of mine - hoping to get her off of the stinkies. I'll see how it goes for her and give feedback.

My thinking was that it's a pretty straightforward device and easy to use (no rebuilding or fiddling with settings etc). It also fits the mold of the twisp/cigarette in its tube shape which new vapers often need.

I'm hoping it has longevity in that she won't need an upgrade too soon, but if she does I'm tempted to take it off her hands!

I agree with you @Huffapuff - the Ijust 2 is a great device - but its not really mouth to lung
And many new vapers prefer mouth to lung. Give them a lung hit and many of them just shrug their shoulders and say "this is not for me". Some people take to lung hits straight away but many don't

I agree with you @Huffapuff - the Ijust 2 is a great device - but its not really mouth to lung
And many new vapers prefer mouth to lung. Give them a lung hit and many of them just shrug their shoulders and say "this is not for me". Some people take to lung hits straight away but many don't

:astonished: Even with the AFC closed off?

I have noticed that all the peeps using Hookah prefer DTL from the get go.

Most folk who I've assisted with converting did not want anything to do with a device thats not a tube, at first.

I agree strongly with this. When I first started vaping, I bought a VaporFi cigalike. The vape shop I bought it from (actually a kiosk in the corner of a bottle store) had gear like the Kanger Subox and other box mods. I glanced at them and concluded "Wtf, you can't smoke a box!" and didn't give them much thought. It was only when I went on YouTube and looked up Rip's review of the 60W iStick that I realised how box mods even work. It's a very off-putting form factor for someone who is used to smoking stick-like objects. My natural curiosity got the better of me and I tried box mods. But one wonders how many smokers are put off the idea just by looking at box mods.

I agree strongly with this. When I first started vaping, I bought a VaporFi cigalike. The vape shop I bought it from (actually a kiosk in the corner of a bottle store) had gear like the Kanger Subox and other box mods. I glanced at them and concluded "Wtf, you can't smoke a box!" and didn't give them much thought. It was only when I went on YouTube and looked up Rip's review of the 60W iStick that I realised how box mods even work. It's a very off-putting form factor for someone who is used to smoking stick-like objects. My natural curiosity got the better of me and I tried box mods. But one wonders how many smokers are put off the idea just by looking at box mods.

Same here - I went out looking for an eGo-style mod when I decided to get back into vaping. It was only because the guy at my local B&M sold me on the subox that I didn't go that way. But it was a hard sell as I wasn't easily convinced :tonguewink:

I would still prefer something like the Kangertech and a Toptank. Hassle free with ceramic coils and if you like a nice /easy deck to practice your building techniques.

Twisp Clearo 2 First look...Great marketing... great packaging... easy instruction manual... all very simple and easy. Quality looks awesome. It's no wonder Twisp sell many... and the version 2 seems to have fixed all the issues of the original. So far no leaking and no juice in the mouth at all.
Twisp 009.JPG

Filled it with XXX but soon realised it needs a much more powerful juice or much more flavour and thought I would have to go find some Twisp Juice... then I thought let me try Tropical Ice 6mg... much better...
Twisp 013.JPG Twisp 015.JPG
The battery came almost fully charged so you can pretty much buy, fill and go.

I really wanted to hate this device but it is certainly an option for a conversion exercise especially if they get Twisp Juice with it... with Tropical Ice in it it's a neat little Ninja Vape device for me... It is most certainly a MTL device only!

This is an option for the first time user.

Will use it for a few days and then report but I must say I am impressed with it for what it is... would I buy one? No not in a million years... would I recommend it to a newbie? Yes I may just do that if it continues to perform over the next few days and no leaks or juice in the mouth appears in time.

I had one of the first Ego tube jobbies , was OK , then moved to the Egrip what a little pocket rocket! Really liked that little device.

There is definitely a tendency towards tubular mods for newbies , guess it's the familiar feel of the round cigarette ?

Personally if they bring out a replaceable coil system for BF mods it will be chicken dinner of note! No clue how that would work but hey you never know.

Killer Thread - I think everyone agrees that you have two types of smokers, MTL & DL - I have certainly found this. I didnt think it was possible to DL a stinkie - and after asking many smokers, it pointed out that there was many more DL smokers than we think. So when a noob asks "what must I get" - we should probe first with the DL & MTL question.

Using myself as an example - I was really happy with my Twisp Clearo + Twisp Juices - as I was a MTL smoker. I only figured out that after I bought a MVP 3.0 + Kangertech Nano that I could DL quite easily with lower nic juice and life was cloudy AF from there onwards.

For a person that is a DL smoker - a twisp is a waste of time, as the draw is tight AF on it.

I don't know if it's just the novelty but with Tropical Ice in the Clearo 2 on a MTL I am pretty surprised and rather happy with it! :eek:

Baby Choo sleeping while Dad tests the Newbie devices...
Newbie4.jpg

I thought my favourite vape of the devices would be the eGo AIO because it can do both a MTL and DL and looks awesome but.... and it's a big but... juice in the mouth! Fail.

The Wicked Vapes (and tallest of the bunch) is way more of a DL device and for the cost is a real bargain for those on a tight budget it's a winner... but for a newbie looking for a MTL it's a Fail.

The iCare normal size is a whole lot better than the iCare Mini but it really needs a powerful menthol to perform and if the newbie hates menthol I have a feeling it won't be great and the shape is funny for a newbie (and expert alike)... I don't like this device one bit. Fail.

Twisp Clearo 2. I'm enjoying this one and have been using it for a few hours and it's well built and looks good and is comfortable... and I love the fact you can use your own drip tip unlike all the other devices... but I think unless you vape a powerful menthol like Menthol Ice or Tropical Ice you will have to use twisp juices (50/50). Fail.

The Twisp ION is taller than the Clearo 2 but it also well built and looks good and appealing... it can also take a standard drip tip... This one can do MTL and a fairly decent DL and is my choice of the starter kits I have tried today... but I think this one is also a case of 50/50 juices or Twisp Juices or powerful menthols.

Bottom line is that none of the devices I tried today are perfect by any means but I would have to say the Twisps are better devices than the others and the ION is more versatile. Never thought I would say that...
Newbie5.JPG
All the above info is based on a first look and will persevere with them all for a few days and re-evaluate.

Back