iStick thread in its glory.

daveza

New Vaper
LV

Awards
My Nautilus mini just turns when I try connect it to my iStick.

I presume it's a nackered thread in the iStick, not the thread on the Nautilus.

Is there any way of fixing this - seems wrong to replace the unit just because a tiny portion of it isn't up to par. ;(

how do you know its the thread?
did you try your tank on another mod?
did you try other tanks on your I stick?
does the threads look stripped?, maybe the whole 510 connection is just spinning loose.

some pics might help

The 20W iSticks are known for having threading issues. I tried a couple of options, including the bendy adapter but didn't come right. The issue has been resolved in the 30W and 50W versions. If you're really short on cash you could probably get hold of a bendy adapter and try epoxy it in place, YMMV.

My Nautilus mini just turns when I try connect it to my iStick.

I presume it's a nackered thread in the iStick, not the thread on the Nautilus.

Is there any way of fixing this - seems wrong to replace the unit just because a tiny portion of it isn't up to par. ;(

Sometime just the very first part of the thread is damaged, and there is no 'lip' for the atomiser to align with.

You may be able to get some help from someone who has a Tap & Die set for 510 connectors. I would speak to @Jakes at Vape Club or @Rowan Francis at Vape King.

A close up shot of the thread would probably be enough for us to offer better quality advice ;)

agree with @devdev , a nice pic would help to confirm , and yes i might be able to assist ...

my wife's got an original istick 20w from first hype era, and I can confirm we have to baby the thread all the time. The material is some form of cheese, or peanut butter, painted silver. (half a joke)
3 or 4 months of ownership and it is still "ok", but very slack. I turn it upside down when refitting atomizer to it so that gravity helps keeps things plumb, level and square when screwing it back on.......there is no undue stress placed on the threads this way.

We had accelerated wear in weeks 1 and 2 before I started taking this action. I can totally see why they wont last for more than a few months. Its a horrible chromed brass type thread.

It also suffers from the ye olde vamo problem of the center pin getting pushed down and staying down when changing to a different atomizer.

When it winds me up enought I'll fit a $3 clone varitube connector from FT as she gets along wiht the form factor, so would like to carry on using it. and put an 18650 Panasonic in. That'll get me laid, for sure.

It also suffers from the ye olde vamo problem of the center pin getting pushed down and staying down when changing to a different atomizer.

I Love my iStick, but this is my main gripe with this thing! It's the reason I'm getting one of those Smok m80plus (that's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it until my grave :p )

how do you know its the thread?
did you try your tank on another mod?
did you try other tanks on your I stick?
does the threads look stripped?, maybe the whole 510 connection is just spinning loose.

some pics might help

The problem is it's his only MOD... @daveza I hope you managed to go buy another one because returning to stinkies is not an option!

Wow, so many replies - I only received an email alert for the first one.

The problem is it's his only MOD... @daveza I hope you managed to go buy another one because returning to stinkies is not an option!

No, my name is Dave the destitute, not Rob the rich !

I can't get a decent close-up with the iPhone ( which belongs to work ...) but this vid should be clear enough.

I can press the Nautilus down completely onto the iStick without turning it so the thread must be toast.
If I can find a way to clamp them together I will be fine ;)

Sometime just the very first part of the thread is damaged, and there is no 'lip' for the atomiser to align with.

You may be able to get some help from someone who has a Tap & Die set for 510 connectors. I would speak to @Jakes at Vape Club or @Rowan Francis at Vape King.

A close up shot of the thread would probably be enough for us to offer better quality advice ;)

Thanks - Jakes and Rowan, are you in the Mother City ?

@daveza it will wirk for a while but will eventually end up like mine if you don't chuck it against a wall from frustration. Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 28
Wow, so many replies - I only received an email alert for the first one.

No, my name is Dave the destitute, not Rob the rich !

I can't get a decent close-up with the iPhone ( which belongs to work ...) but this vid should be clear enough.

I can press the Nautilus down completely onto the iStick without turning it so the thread must be toast.
If I can find a way to clamp them together I will be fine ;)

I'm not sure if it will work, but you can try using some plumber's tape (I'm not sure if that's the correct name, but I think so)...here's a picture:

HD_6439_M.jpg

Wrap that around the threads on the nautilus a few times and try to screw it in then...it might hold it, and might not - at least it's a non-destructive thing you can try :D

I'm not sure if it will work, but you can try using some plumber's tape (I'm not sure if that's the correct name, but I think so)...here's a picture:

View attachment 26853

Wrap that around the threads on the nautilus a few times and try to screw it in then...it might hold it, and might not - at least it's a non-destructive thing you can try :D

Just bear in mind this will in fact insulate the threads and your coils wont fire so only wrap tape on a portion of the threads so there is still some metal to metal connection.

Thanks all.

I tried the tape but the Nautilus still won't seat properly.

Xhale was right, the thread is made of cheese. Naughty Eleaf designers.

Just bear in mind this will in fact insulate the threads and your coils wont fire so only wrap tape on a portion of the threads so there is still some metal to metal connection.
Thanks all.

I tried the tape but the Nautilus still won't seat properly.

Xhale was right, the thread is made of cheese. Naughty Eleaf designers.
Dont chuck it....Use the inside....Make yourself a custom mod....Just get a connection from one of the supliers...or find a dead 30 watt and replace the top part...

Back