#ITSOKAYTOTALK - Mental Illness

I deleted my facebook account a couple weeks back and I have never been happier, facebook is shit. If people want to share stuff with me they have my number, it's been a good exercise in seeing who actually enjoys communicating with me. I have a closer connection with some people now because they can't half-arse their relationship with me because of facebook. I also have been more or less refusing to text women I've been seeing too, some of them thought it was dodgy but for the most part dating has been way better than it's ever been because we have so much to talk about in person. Technology has certainly brought us together but also shortened the means to the end too.

I deleted my facebook account a couple weeks back and I have never been happier, facebook is shit. If people want to share stuff with me they have my number, it's been a good exercise in seeing who actually enjoys communicating with me. I have a closer connection with some people now because they can't half-arse their relationship with me because of facebook. I also have been more or less refusing to text women I've been seeing too, some of them thought it was dodgy but for the most part dating has been way better than it's ever been because we have so much to talk about in person. Technology has certainly brought us together but also shortened the means to the end too.

I hear you bud, I do think that social media has some benefits, but I largely stay away from it especially when it comes to sharing my private life.

Having one of those days. Couldn't get my alprazolam prescription filled in time before the weekend because the psychiatrist screwed around. Now I'm stuck in a panic attack mode. Yesterday was fine, but today is horrible. 3 psychiatrists in a year and I'm still not 100% convinced my diagnoses or medication is 100% right.

How is everyone else doing?

Having one of those days. Couldn't get my alprazolam prescription filled in time before the weekend because the psychiatrist screwed around. Now I'm stuck in a panic attack mode. Yesterday was fine, but today is horrible. 3 psychiatrists in a year and I'm still not 100% convinced my diagnoses or medication is 100% right.

What area do you stay in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahahaha! Awesome! Have you paid Melane van Zyl a visit? She’s at Vaalpark Hospital. A good friend, and my scond psychiatrist. She’s actually quite amazing. Sorted my meds out easily. I haven’t looked back.

Hahahaha! Awesome! Have you paid Melane van Zyl a visit? She’s at Vaalpark Hospital. A good friend, and my scond psychiatrist. She’s actually quite amazing. Sorted my meds out easily. I haven’t looked back.

Yup, seeing her currently. And I phoned for a prescription on Wednesday already, and still had nothing by Friday. Seriously doubting I'll go back to her after that service.

Her staff sometimes slip up. If you send an e-mail to her, they normally spark. Will see if I can find it for you.

Hoping you are feeling a bit better today @Viper_SA.
Regards

Hoping you are feeling a bit better today @Viper_SA.
Regards

Well, not really. Was up past 4 this morning with a bad spell of insomnia. Also, my mom was admitted to hospital late yesterday afternoon with what her GP describes as severe eczema, but I'm fearing skin cancer. So it's up and down to and from hospital again for me.

"Embrace your own madness" ~ Dan Barker

I have a "mood disorder" for which I will be in medication for life. I have accepted this as part of me. I don't fight it. But I try not to let it affect my family, friends and my career. I seek regular professional council, and am blessed to be able to afford it.

I am also a big introvert. I could live at home under "house arrest" for ever. But I do have extroverted qualities. I can count my true friends on one hand. This forum is one of my only connections to the outside world.

Reading some of the accounts of men discussing their mental illness (diplomatically) here is inspiring and heart warming. My thoughts are with those who are suffering with mental illness here on this site. Keep talking...It helps a lot.

Well, not really. Was up past 4 this morning with a bad spell of insomnia. Also, my mom was admitted to hospital late yesterday afternoon with what her GP describes as severe eczema, but I'm fearing skin cancer. So it's up and down to and from hospital again for me.
Just hang in there brother. Our thoughts are with you.

Regards

This thread is probably one of my favourites on the forum. The support and discussions are amazing.

Sometimes we don't want advice....We only want to be heard. Then understood, then accepted.

Which is exactly what this thread and the WhatsApp group are there for None of us are professionals, medically anyway, and so sharing our experience for others to learn from is beneficial to both those sharing and those learning about others stories. For me, sharing my story has been liberating like a huge weight lifted from my shoulders and being able to be more open with others, as well as seeing comfort in others when hearing of my story. I am glad to hear that others are finding this thread beneficial, long may it last...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How are you doing bud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm starting to believe that the average human being is incredibly emotionally stunted and seeing a therapist should be as mandatory as paying taxes.

I'm starting to believe that the average human being is incredibly emotionally stunted and seeing a therapist should be as mandatory as paying taxes.

Hi there Felix Karl. Yes I agree, everyone in society needs a life coach these days. If you cannot find one, and you can afford it, see a good psychologist.

Not to rain on this thread at all, but what I'm learning is that late at night, all alone with your thoughts and emotions, you stand alone I the darkness. Regardless of what anyone is telling you or what inspirational messages they send you. It's a demon only you can fight and must ultimately defeat alone. Luckily I've found something to fill the emptiness inside temporarily, even though it's probably not the healthiest or safest option. Just got tired of begging other people for acceptance and understanding.

Not to rain on this thread at all, but what I'm learning is that late at night, all alone with your thoughts and emotions, you stand alone I the darkness. Regardless of what anyone is telling you or what inspirational messages they send you. It's a demon only you can fight and must ultimately defeat alone. Luckily I've found something to fill the emptiness inside temporarily, even though it's probably not the healthiest or safest option. Just got tired of begging other people for acceptance and understanding.

@Viper_SA Some true words said there. "It's a demon only you can fight.....alone" rings very true. And we must fight, indeed, never losing hope.

I think society has gone a bit hectic, times are as volatile as never before. Why, even cellphones are making us ill... Yes, inspirational messages don't always cut it. But I have learned one thing, the smallest act of kindness, thoughtfulness, lending a sincere ear, and human connection can mean a lot in the lives of many. Even on a forum like this.

No sweat about raining in the thread

" Luckily I've found something to fill the emptiness inside temporarily, even though it's probably not the healthiest or safest option."

This has me worried. And I do not know how to react to it.

Back