Need suggestions for a new MTL device

aktorsyl

Elite Vaper
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
Hi guys,

(Not sure whether this is in the correct subforum - please feel free to move it if not)

I currently have two devices: for MTL I have the V8 from VAP3 using 1ohm coils, and for DTL I have the iJust S tank on a Wismec Predator on 0.3ohm coils. My general rule is MTL during the day at work, and DTL during the evenings/weekends.

I'm very happy so far with the DTL setup, but the V8 MTL device is starting to show its age. It's been absolutely great, but I need to replace it. I've been looking around and I'm very unsure what the best MTL option would be. My criteria is:

1) Should have easily available 1ohm coils
2) Should be thin/slim, easy to fit into a pocket.. everyday vaping device for when I'm at work.
3) I mix DIY juices so I'd probably want to mix a 60vg / 40pg juice for it, but can also do 55/45 if that's too much VG. Nic would be around 12-14mg.
4) Flavour should be good. At the moment I can't really taste anything on the VAP3 V8. I know MTL isn't a complete flavour-fest, but as good as it can get would be nice.

What really impressed me with the V8 was the amount of punishment it can take. I've even thrown 70vg cream-based juices at it and it wicked without any complaints. Coil even lasted about a week on those. Very impressive actually.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Consider the Vaporesso Tarot Nano kit, which takes EUC coil units of varying resistances and widely available.

Also the Aspire Nautilus 2 atomizer is great for MTL. Vapour Mountain has it as part of the Zelos kit here.

Thanks Andre - both look good, my only issue is that neither are thin/slim or pen-shaped if you will.

Thanks Andre - both look good, my only issue is that neither are thin/slim or pen-shaped if you will.
@aktorsyl - For a pen-shaped setup, you could perhaps consider this Aspire 1000 maH carbon fiber variable voltage battery currently on special at a very good price: http://eciggies.co.za/Specials/ASPIRE-CF-VV-BATTERY-1000mAh-FREE-Aspire-USB-Charger

in combination with the Nautilus Mini (which will be more expensive, but which will provide you with variable airflow settings and a rock-solid reputation as a MTL tank): http://eciggies.co.za/Original-MINI-Aspire-Nautilus-BVC-MINI?search=nautilus

or in combination with the Aspire K3 (which I don't know much about, and which does not provide you with variable airflow or a detachable glass, but I see that it is promoted as a "Nautilus Mini Alternative", is said to provide quite a tight draw, and is considerably less expensive. I had an Aspire K1 with an Eleaf variable voltage battery almost at the very start of my vaping journey, and that was a great little setup):
http://eciggies.co.za/Aspire-K3-Clearomizer-Tank-BLACK?search=nautilus
http://eciggies.co.za/Aspire-K3-Clearomizer-Tank ?search=nautilus

Last edited:
@Lingogrey Ah that seems perfect. (Your link for the Nautilus Mini seems to be the same as for the battery though? Google doesn't yield any results for Nautilus Mini in SA from what I can see.. hopefully I'm just looking in the wrong places).

How does variable voltage work? I only have experience with variable wattage, so not sure what VV is supposed to be set to for MTL.

EDIT: Is the Mini tank you were referring to this one? http://eciggies.co.za/Hardware/Dual-Coil-Clearomizers/Original-MINI-Aspire-Nautilus-BVC-MINI
With these coils: http://eciggies.co.za/Aspire-Nautilus-BVC-Coils-Mini-AND-Mega-X5-PACK

Only downside I see to those coils is that at 1.8ohm and with those wicking holes it won't take anything above a 50/50 vg concentration.

@Lingogrey Ah that seems perfect. (Your link for the Nautilus Mini seems to be the same as for the battery though? Google doesn't yield any results for Nautilus Mini in SA from what I can see.. hopefully I'm just looking in the wrong places).

How does variable voltage work? I only have experience with variable wattage, so not sure what VV is supposed to be set to for MTL.

EDIT: Is the Mini tank you were referring to this one? http://eciggies.co.za/Hardware/Dual-Coil-Clearomizers/Original-MINI-Aspire-Nautilus-BVC-MINI
With these coils: http://eciggies.co.za/Aspire-Nautilus-BVC-Coils-Mini-AND-Mega-X5-PACK

Only downside I see to those coils is that at 1.8ohm and with those wicking holes it won't take anything above a 50/50 vg concentration.
Sorry @aktorsyl - I have changed the link. Yes, that is the tank and those are the coils. You also do get 1.6 ohm coils, but nothing lower than that. When I was vaping on the K1 (which used similar Aspire 1.8 ohm coils, with slightly smaller wicking holes though) it actually wicked anything up to 70 VG with no problem (not quite sure why, but most likely because with these devices one vapes at relatively low power). For a short explanation on the difference between VV and VW (most, not all, pen-style devices used to be fixed power, 'semi-mechanical', or variable voltage. It is only recently that we have seen innovations such as temperature control in pen style devices such as the Joyetech Ego One VT), see here: https://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/ashtray-blog/2015/02/voltage-watts-ohms-vapers.html#wattage

If you are looking for exactly 1 ohm coils in a pen style device, the closest that I can think of would be the Joyetech Ego AIO with the Cubis 1 ohm coils (it is also very inexpensive, going from as little as R 300 at a wide variety of vendors. It does come with two 0.6 ohm coils though, so you would have to buy the Cubis 1 ohm coils separately). It provides quite a decent vape, especially at the price point

Doesn't have to be exactly 1ohm, I just want better flavour than what I'm currently having on this one. It's a yoghurt-berry clone and tastes great in subohm tanks, but tastes more like muted perfume in a MTL :(

Doesn't have to be exactly 1ohm, I just want better flavour than what I'm currently having on this one. It's a yoghurt-berry clone and tastes great in subohm tanks, but tastes more like muted perfume in a MTL :(
It is sometimes difficult to reproduce the flavor from a juice 'intended' for a higher powered sub-ohm setup in a much lower powered (where a far smaller quantity of juice is being vaporised) mtl setup. If you look at some highly rated recipes from 2014 / early 2015 you will see that they are generally higher PG (which is a better flavor carrier than VG) and have much higher flavoring percentages usually because of this reason. Personally, I would still rate the flavor on the Nautilus Mini, even with higher VG / lower flavoring percentage juices, as superior to the Ego AIO (although I think that the Ego AIO is just great from a value for money perspective).

I would second checking out the options in the threads that @Silver highlighted (many of them will not be ideally suited to pen-styled setups, but a number might be)

I have a nautilus mini on an aspire cf vv battery. The good thing about this is that you will find the recommended voltage range inscribed on the 1.8ohm coils, which happen to be quite easily available at most online vendors. This will help you to figure out the variable voltage dilemma

Thanks guys, that combo looks like a winner. Good battery life on the 1000mAh battery? I suppose at 1.8ohm it doesn't drain too quickly.

Thanks guys, that combo looks like a winner. Good battery life on the 1000mAh battery? I suppose at 1.8ohm it doesn't drain too quickly.

I would say its better than good but that could be based on the fact that mine doesn't get used much due to the fact that I only use it when I'm in stealth mode. I would guesstimate a full days use if you use conservatively though

I would say its better than good but that could be based on the fact that mine doesn't get used much due to the fact that I only use it when I'm in stealth mode. I would guesstimate a full days use if you use conservatively though
Awesome. And last question - what's the max percentage of VG that can wick in those 1.8ohm coils, in your experience? Although I probably wont use my 70/30 juices in it much, I'd mostly use my 55/45 ones.

I've been using my wife's twisp juices without her knowledge and those are 50/50. I do have an 18mg 60/40 apple flavored juice that works as well.

I have a nautilus mini on an aspire cf vv battery. The good thing about this is that you will find the recommended voltage range inscribed on the 1.8ohm coils, which happen to be quite easily available at most online vendors. This will help you to figure out the variable voltage dilemma
Please post a picture. Overhang?

Ok will organize one during the course of the day. Stay tuned lol

I had the nautilus mini, and get my replacement coils from Vape Mob, that was more than a year ago though; Tanks like that... Rather go rebuildable than paying fifty a pop per coils; or more by now.

Vapor Council Mini Volt is probably what you need ;) get the 80W one, their first was 40Watts

I had the nautilus mini, and get my replacement coils from Vape Mob, that was more than a year ago though; Tanks like that... Rather go rebuildable than paying fifty a pop per coils; or more by now.

Vapor Council Mini Volt is probably what you need ;) get the 80W one, their first was 40Watts
I certainly hear your point on the coil price - but the box form factor is a dealbreaker for my "stealth daytime" setup unfortunately.

Are you wanting a pen like, ijust structure? :?
Not really.. just something similar to what I have now: (if I had to guess, it's about 18mm diameter or so, much thinner than an iJust)
vap3002.jpg

Thanks for the trouble @Amir. Looks like a slight overhang. Think the Nautilus1 is about 19mm diameter, but the new one is 22mm.

Overhang by a mm... But If i were you I'd go for the Nautilus 2 and like a pico mod... That way you've got a stealthy sneaky MTL set up and you can use the pico for a DL tank as well

Overhang by a mm... But If i were you I'd go for the Nautilus 2 and like a pico mod... That way you've got a stealthy sneaky MTL set up and you can use the pico for a DL tank as well
Hm, that is also a good idea.. the Pico (not the Mega version) is small as hell. I assume the Nautilus 2 hasn't reached our shores yet, right?

Back