Nickel Builds

How many power would a dual coil nickle coil need?

28G

Nickle 200

2mm, 9 wraps
Nickel can only be used on TC (temperature control) mods, which means you have to set both the temperature and the power to your own liking.

Nickel can only be used on TC (temperature control) mods, which means you have to set both the temperature and the power to your own liking.
I'm using a Goliath V2 with dual coil RBA with Evic Vt mini (single 18650) I feel that there isn't enough power to drive it to the optimal temperature

I'm using a Goliath V2 with dual coil RBA with Evic Vt mini (single 18650) I feel that there isn't enough power to drive it to the optimal temperature
To what power did you try, think the Evic Mini can go up to 75W.

Up to tried up to 60w. Ramps up too slowly

Also a noob here, was wondering if your battery is capable of providing enough Amps? I think the lower the resistance the more amps are needed? Guess the experts can answer that one...o_O

Also a noob here, was wondering if your battery is capable of providing enough Amps? I think the lower the resistance the more amps are needed? Guess the experts can answer that one...o_O
With regulated mods that is mostly irrelevant, especially in TC mode. With mech mods, the lower the resistance the higher the current.

@ bubble bee..
Don't want to interfere but using TC mode you have to run spaced coils
Looking at your pic those coils are not spaced..
Secondly in TC mode you don't use watts as in power mode u use joules.. This in lay man's terms means the amount off power in a given period of time.
So cranking up the "joules" will exponentially increase the power in a given time say 1 second
What this does in reality is it blasts the coil and then the TC regulation kicks in quicker because you have reached the desired temperature setting..
TC mode is primarily controlled by the temperature selected and not by how much power you throw at it. That's why sometimes a device sounds like a tractor engine its because joules to high coil heats to quick and temp restriction kicks in switching it off so to speak
Critical to your build the device measures the fluctuation in the wire to calculate temperature so that is why the coils have to be spaced and cannot touch at all
So in TC mode you select comfortable temp for you then play around with joules to find the ideal vape for you.

@ bubble bee..
Don't want to interfere but using TC mode you have to run spaced coils
Looking at your pic those coils are not spaced..
Secondly in TC mode you don't use watts as in power mode u use joules.. This in lay man's terms means the amount off power in a given period of time.
So cranking up the "joules" will exponentially increase the power in a given time say 1 second
What this does in reality is it blasts the coil and then the TC regulation kicks in quicker because you have reached the desired temperature setting..
TC mode is primarily controlled by the temperature selected and not by how much power you throw at it. That's why sometimes a device sounds like a tractor engine its because joules to high coil heats to quick and temp restriction kicks in switching it off so to speak
Critical to your build the device measures the fluctuation in the wire to calculate temperature so that is why the coils have to be spaced and cannot touch at all
So in TC mode you select comfortable temp for you then play around with joules to find the ideal vape for you.
Not sure I agree with your reason for suggesting spaced coils. With Nickel they say spaced coils are better because it is Nickel - more about the inherent qualities of Nickel than calculating the temp. I have done contact coils with both Ti and SS in TC mode with good effect, and so have many other vapers.

I could be wrong and stand under correction
It could be pertaining to nickel then
My apologies now where's the tipex

These coils are running beautifully so far, I'll still get to doing some spaced ones later to see what the difference is. The DNA200 doesn't do Joules, but from what I have gathered so far Watts and Joules do pretty much the same thing if you take all the technical jargon out.

These coils are running beautifully so far, I'll still get to doing some spaced ones later to see what the difference is. The DNA200 doesn't do Joules, but from what I have gathered so far Watts and Joules do pretty much the same thing if you take all the technical jargon out.

I have only had unpleasant experiences with TC. It really sucks.

I'm going to build dual 26g Ni200 contact coils this evening and see how it goes.

I thought it MUST be spaced.

I have only had unpleasant experiences with TC. It really sucks.

I'm going to build dual 26g Ni200 contact coils this evening and see how it goes.

I thought it MUST be spaced.
I'm with you there, the eVic VT with the Ego Mega was a disaster but the DNA200 is a completely different animal, I think I'm going to enjoy it once I understand it all better :)

So it's safe to build unspaced nickel coils ?
No experience with nickle, but a quick google yielded this.

Spacing the coils gives you maximum surface area, with less length of wire, allowing the chip in the mod to easily attain the estimated temperature, based on the change of resistance.

Additionally, nickel is exceptionally malleable, and tends to move ever so slightly as it's under fire, making a compressed coil consistently gain hot spots over use.

hi,
a bit of a noob as i will be trying TC with new mod soon, but just to see what the difference is between NI200 and NI80?
i googled and it was said it was just the percentage of purity?
what i want to know is that i wanted to get a rough estimate of coil size on Steam-engine or coiltoy sites, will NI80 be the same or close enough to use and an estimate?

hi,
a bit of a noob as i will be trying TC with new mod soon, but just to see what the difference is between NI200 and NI80?
i googled and it was said it was just the percentage of purity?
what i want to know is that i wanted to get a rough estimate of coil size on Steam-engine or coiltoy sites, will NI80 be the same or close enough to use and an estimate?
Is that not just Nichrome N80, which Steam Engine does cater for?

I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to TC but I'm learning now that I have a proper TC device. The eVix VT was ok, it worked but this Wismec Reuleaux is something else. Anywhay.... I chucked this dual setup together on the Bellus quickly this morning and it's performing brilliantly with Complex Chaos Freaky Loops on Cotton Bacon v2

3mm ID
28g Nickel 200
10 Wrap dual
0.10 ohms

View attachment 39894

I cant fit anything bigger than duel 2.5mm into my bellus.

I want to just give you a hug, for getting a 3mm ID into that little bugger!!!!!!

thats what i didnt understand untill you said it.
nichrome and nickel
so NI80 and NI200 are different metal compounds,
what would the recommended be for TC between the 2?
and resistance wise, will it be the same?

Last edited:
thats what i didnt understand untill you said it.
nichrome and nickel
so NI80 and NI200 are different metal compounds,
what would the recommended be for TC between the 2?
and resistance wise, will it be the same?

Hi Daniel

Nichrome (Nichrome80) and Nickel (Ni200) are two entirely different materials, with the only common element is that they both contain metallic nickel. But in every other respect they are different.

How different? A lot. In terms of TC, the one is TC-usable (Ni200) and the other not. Specifically, Nichrome doesn't have a measurable (in terms of what a mod can detect) change in resistance when the temperature changes. Here is a graph (from www.steam-engine.org) which shows the change in temperature with the change in resistance:

upload_2015-12-14_14-7-6.png

Quite flat, right? In comparison, here is the same chart for Ni200:

upload_2015-12-14_14-7-24.png

So in other words, if you try to run TC for Nichrome, your mod (if you have a decent, updated one) will probably bomb you back to power/Kanthal/wattage mode, or give an error. If you don't have the newest of mods, it will probably think you are running actual Nickel, and it will assume the temperature doesn't change at all from room temperature, so it will just continue firing until you see some glorious fire from your driptip.

In terms of resistativity, they are worlds apart as well. Ni200 have a very low base resistance:

upload_2015-12-14_14-7-36.png

(This is 8 wraps, 2mm ID, single coil). You can see the resistance is 0.056 Ohm - suuuper low. The resistivity is 0.75 Ohm per meter.

On the other hand, Nichrome looks like this:

upload_2015-12-14_14-8-45.png

Same build (8 wraps @ 2.0 mm ID) gives 0.641 Ohm, with a resistivity of 8.46 Ohm/meter. Muuuch higher than Ni200. In fact, Nichrome is very much in the range as Kanthal:

upload_2015-12-14_14-9-57.png

TL;DR. Nichrome (or NiChrome80) cannot be used for TC, but is a nice, light-weight and easy-to-work and tastier alternative to Kanthal. Nickel (or Ni200) can be used only for TC - it generally builds too low for power builds, gets hot super quick if not temp controlled and oxidizes when it does so.

Hope it helps! If you really want to use Nichrome for TC, you can twist a strand of Nichrome with a strand of Ni200, like some crazy fools are doing. :) I personally use Titatium (and recently Stainless Steel with DNA200) for TC builds - prefer it over Nickel for both health reasons (my own) and the fact that Ni is so damn squishy I mess more coils up than what I actually can vape.

Wow, thanks for the info, very informative, been trying to get my head around this and that actually made sense to me.
appreciate the effort here.
im getting a RX200 so hopefully soon and try some stuff out, reason for looking into this was for flavor.

Back