Nicotine Absorption

Andre

Reonaut
VIP
LV

Awards
See attached article from http://www.nature.com/srep/2014/140226/srep04133/full/srep04133.html.

Basically: Smoking a cigarette (18 mg) for 5 minutes will be 185 % more effective in delivering nicotine to your bloodstream than vaping (18 mg) for 5 minutes on an Evic with Evod. It will take you 35 minutes of vaping to get to the same level, which the cigarette attained in 5 minutes. To get to that level in 5 minutes with vaping will require 50 mg juice - and give you a Silver.

Attachments

• Nicotine absorption.pdf
    571.5 KB · Views: 7
That's why I'm never far from my sticks, constantly puffing away :happy:

That's why I'm never far from my sticks, constantly puffing away :happy:
Which sticks are you referring to @Die Krieg ? LoL.

Thinking about it, its quite strange that we didn't get Silver's from the stinkies then :D Unless it was only me...

Thinking about it, its quite strange that we didn't get Silver's from the stinkies then :D Unless it was only me...
Vape sticks. Family calls them 'vog stokkies' and recently just 'stokkies'. Ego-C Twist with mPT2

i would say the reason you didnt get a silver is cuase theres so much other kak in stinkies, that probably counter acts with the nic, and with vaping its pure or more cleaner nic

thats my theory, im no doctor...hahaha

Maybe the vapour first goes to the head, then to the bloodstream:).

Lol guys, well, its comforting to know that we are absorbing 185% less nicotine when vaping, as opposed to smoking stinkies, and thats besides the tar, carbon monoxide and all the carcinogens and chemicals we're avoiding. Well done to us :)

Thanks for info @Matthee. Was telling myself codswallop I see ;)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Got you off the stinkies - that is all that counts. And as @Zodiac mentioned above, one can get a Silver from Vaping, but not from cigarettes, so the absorption effect might be totally different.

The more I read the info on the link and given that I vape 9mg juice I read it as if I wanted to get the same nicotine that I got from a stinkie (18mg 5 minutes) I would have to vape solidly for 2 hours and 10 minutes with a high power EC?

Another question... How many mg of nic is there in a 30ml bottle of 9mg juice? Is it 9mg per 100ml or what?

Isnt 18mg for a whole pack? I remember from when I started vaping that 1 cigarette has 0.9mg according to the package.

Isnt 18mg for a whole pack? I remember from when I started vaping that 1 cigarette has 0.9mg according to the package.

Not sure... this is what I'm trying to work out to argue with my old bat! ;)

If that is the case then I'm consuming five packs a day now? :eek:

So based on that I was smoking around 40 a day x 0.8mg = 32mg.

I vape around 10ml a day of 9mg = 90mg

So I have trebled my nicotine intake????? Someone help me out here?

Yes, nic mg on a pack of stinkies is per cigarette. Nic mg on eliquid is per ml. BUT remember its not the nic we are running from its the tar and thousands of chemicals. Whatever intake of nicotine is comfortable to you, i.e. no silvers or other bad effects, cannot be worse for you than stinkies, even if the nic was lower. That is my theory anyway.

I smoked Chesterfield and Mills for many years and then the last few years of smoking I was on Dunhill infinite lights... that is 0.1mg of nic per cigarette. That felt normal to me and even gave me a head rush if smoking to fast. When I started vaping after that I used 24mg nic eliquid for a few months and then settled on 18mg for almost 2 years. I am now on 9mg and 12mg juices and comfortably use about 5 - 8ml a day. Without headrush/silvers/any bad effects.... and haven't felt better in years.

So bottom line... nicotine got a bad rep from stinkies. Yes its poisonous when ingested or used improperly but so is caffeine, asperin, codeine, alcohol, ibuprofen, etc, etc, etc... its all about comfort levels and responsible use. You should realise this when you start climbing stairs again, smelling food, tasting food, stop coughing and feeling better overall ;)

So bottom line... nicotine got a bad rep from stinkies. Yes its poisonous when ingested or used improperly but so is caffeine, asperin, codeine, alcohol, ibuprofen, etc, etc, etc... its all about comfort levels and responsible use. You should realise this when you start climbing stairs again, smelling food, tasting food, stop coughing and feeling better overall ;)

Thanks @Oupa that was really interesting and really eye opening! And yes there is no question I can climb stairs again, not snoring, no more coughing, don't stink and the list goes on!

But I think my next order may be 6ml bottles! ;)

Thanks @Oupa that was really interesting and really eye opening! And yes there is no question I can climb stairs again, not snoring, no more coughing, don't stink and the list goes on!

But I think my next order may be 6ml bottles! ;)

Interesting.. I hope the not snoring part happens with me too, my wife would be over the moon :D

Interesting.. I hope the not snoring part happens with me too, my wife would be over the moon :D

I still suffer with my sinuses but my snoring is about a 1,000 times better (or 1,000 times less) than it was.

I still suffer with my sinuses but my snoring is about a 1,000 times better (or 1,000 times less) than it was.

That's good news then :)

Ooooooh. That's interesting! Although I do spend more time out of my day with my vape great than I did with stinkies.

Sent from my Xperia ZL using Tapatalk

Also keep in mind that nicotine absorption from vaping is much less efficient than from a stinkie. With vaping, the nic is absorbed by the walls of your throat, mouth and sinuses. The particles are too big to penetrate all the way into your lungs. So the content may be much higher, but the amount absorbed will be similar to the stinkies.

In an early experiment with now out-dated equipment and inexperienced users, the nic absorption was so low from vaping that the conclusion of the study was that vaping was purely a placebo. A later experiment by the same group allowing experienced volunteers to use their own personal vaping setups showed slightly better results, but still concluded that a large part of the effectiveness of vaping is due to the physical, habitual component being satisfied.

Also keep in mind that nicotine absorption from vaping is much less efficient than from a stinkie. With vaping, the nic is absorbed by the walls of your throat, mouth and sinuses. The particles are too big to penetrate all the way into your lungs. So the content may be much higher, but the amount absorbed will be similar to the stinkies.

In an early experiment with now out-dated equipment and inexperienced users, the nic absorption was so low from vaping that the conclusion of the study was that vaping was purely a placebo. A later experiment by the same group allowing experienced volunteers to use their own personal vaping setups showed slightly better results, but still concluded that a large part of the effectiveness of vaping is due to the physical, habitual component being satisfied.

I hear you @Rex_Bael , but I do think we are getting nicotine in from vaping otherwise it would not be so easy to stop smoking. I dont think its just a placebo effect.

But I agree that less nicotine is absorbed when vaping.

A study I read some time ago (will try to find again) showed the level of nicotine in the blood while having a cigarette versus vaping. They were measuring something in the blood that is a response to the nicotine.

With a real cigarette the level spikes up much higher and much sooner, like after a minute. Thats helps explain why we perceive it to be such a "high". With vaping it doesnt rise as high (like a third of the level) and takes much longer, like 15 minutes. The high spike from the real cigarettes is also believed to be contributed to by the other chemicals in the real smoke.

Interestingly, that spike one gets from real cigarettes is believed to be what one gets very addicted to. The brain chemicals in response to this spike is what we feel the pleasure from. With vaping, there is not as much of a spike so less "feel good chemicals" in response, so less addiction.

I can believe this fully and have experienced this first hand.

When i smoked i could not go for more than about 30 to 40 mins without having a cigarette. When in a shopping centre for a few hours i would frequently go to the car park to light up. When in a non smoking restaurant, I would go outside after the main meal for a quick smoke then come back for coffees etc.

Now, with vaping, I can easily go for a few hours without feeling much (if not any) craving for my vape. I have often been out and about and been busy at a shopping centre for example and "forgotten" to vape. That would never ever in a million years have happened when smoking.

So, long story short, i am getting in nicotine but I think i am far less addicted to it now.

Back