Reo Positive Contact Repair

Renesh

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi Reo Gurus,
My Reo has developed the dreaded arcing and firing issue. In my haste to try to remedy the fault, i sanded the fire point with fine sandpaper. It works for a day or two..and then back to issues.
Any advice on how to remedy this (replacing the positive contact with a new one is at the bottom of the fix list right now)..

Also, where do i buy that dielectric grease from? I've checked builders warehouse and a car spares shop..but didn't know about it....

Thanks in advance/

Hi Reo Gurus,
My Reo has developed the dreaded arcing and firing issue. In my haste to try to remedy the fault, i sanded the fire point with fine sandpaper. It works for a day or two..and then back to issues.
Any advice on how to remedy this (replacing the positive contact with a new one is at the bottom of the fix list right now)..

Also, where do i buy that dielectric grease from? I've checked builders warehouse and a car spares shop..but didn't know about it....

Thanks in advance/

Give @kimbo a shout... he has little bakkies of it for sale at R20.

Hi Reo Gurus,

Thanks in advance/

Sorry to hear, but in the long run the only fix is a new one. PM @kimbo he sells dielectric grease at a steal - R20 for a tub that will last you many years. What you can try for now is Brasso & elbow grease on the part that you've sanded then, not ideal, but can help, is use ordinary vaseline - just a very thin layer on the contact point (including battery terminals).

If that is the gold plated positive contact, you really have no option but to replace in the long run. The gold plated contact must not be sanded - just cleaned with a white eraser and/or alcohol. Available for R95 at VM: http://www.vapourmountain.co.za/shop/new/reo-grand-positive-contact/

Am not sure what is beneath the gold plating, probably brass. Dielectric grease or the like should work in the mean time. @kimbo sells some - http://www.ecigssa.co.za/electrical-contact-lubricant-dielectric-grease.t12076/.

@Renesh Come over tonight before i leave for cricket, i have some for you

Sorry to hear, but in the long run the only fix is a new one. PM @kimbo he sells dielectric grease at a steal - R20 for a tub that will last you many years. What you can try for now is Brasso & elbow grease on the part that you've sanded then, not ideal, but can help, is use ordinary vaseline - just a very thin layer on the contact point (including battery terminals).
Thanks @johan , will try that this evening.

@Andre FYI, the positive contact is made of Berillium Copper and then plated with gold. Berillium Copper is used very widely in electrical- and electronic industry as "contact" material due to its durability and excellent conducting properties.

If that is the gold plated positive contact, you really have no option but to replace in the long run. The gold plated contact must not be sanded - just cleaned with a white eraser and/or alcohol. Available for R95 at VM: http://www.vapourmountain.co.za/shop/new/reo-grand-positive-contact/

Am not sure what is beneath the gold plating, probably brass. Dielectric grease or the like should work in the mean time. @kimbo sells some - http://www.ecigssa.co.za/electrical-contact-lubricant-dielectric-grease.t12076/.
Thanks @Andre , will try some of the other fixes... but will likely just buy another repair kit eventually... least i won't have to fight to the gasket seated properly this time..... :(

Back