"Scottish Cotton Vienna V1" coil wicks

Waine

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
IMG_1847.JPG

My "Scottish Cotton Vienna V1" wicks.

The topic of using organic cotton balls or pads has been discussed at length. For the past 5 weeks I have only been using organic cotton pads for my wicks. I find absolutely no difference in taste or wick consistency from the commercial organic cotton sold by vendors. I have had fun trying out many different ways of cutting, rolling and wrapping the cotton pads to get maximum use. Finally I have settled on this method:

I wash my hands thoroughly and sterilise my scissors with alcohol.

I split a round organic cotton pad in two halves with a sharp needle. Stretch it out wide into a thin, fluffy square shape -- the "Scottish" style. Cut the top piece off in a straight line. Trim the edges, left and right, roll it up carefully with my fingers, with the grain, stroke it a bit and finish rolling in a piece of paper. (Like you would roll tobacco in a Rizla.) There is a bit more to it, but after experimenting, I have developed my own unique / intricate method of cutting and rolling. I find this relaxing to do in front of a TV program or sitting rolling while listening to music.

Yes, it is a bit time consuming, but it is so nice having the cotton already prepared this way after building a coil. I call it: "Scottish Cotton Vienna". The technique is also similar to the "Sushi" style as seen on You Tube using Japanese Cotton pads.

The cotton is rolled to fit coils of up to between 3.5 to 4.5 ID. But I roll them so it's easy to peel off cotton to accommodate smaller coils. I rather roll big so I can work down smaller. I generally build coils between 3 to 3.5 and 4mm ID.

I am by no means a miser when it comes to spending on vape gear. But for me, it is mindless spending hundreds of Rands on Commercial organic cotton when one can make your own from cheap "Organic" cotton pads. I don't use the organic cotton balls, only the pads.

I just wanted to share. It is really fun experimenting and most rewarding, if you have the time, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing @Waine
Nicely done!

Back