Short of breath

Reaper

New Vaper
LV

Awards
Hey this is abit off topic,,
But just curious and wondering if you could help,

So been using cue during the day and still ciggs now and then,

Yesterday I started to use a friends mod aswell,..
So it was cue (MTl) and at times dl with his mod

After a few hours started to feel short of breath or rather the feeling of not able to take deep enough breaths..

I remember few years back when I started vaping,the same thing happened to me,that time was using vap mob intense strawberry,

This time around was using nvc trinity.

Could it be the direct lung hits that’s causing it?

Could it be the juice?since it happens with 2 different juices ?

making this thread to house a post that @Reaper posted in another thread.
Will move it here and when done it will appear above this one

Hi @Reaper
It may well be that you're not accustomed to the direct lung hits.

Not sure if its the juice but to test that you could try a few more and see.

Perhaps try stick to MTL for a while and see if the shortness of breath goes away.

Hey this is abit off topic,,
But just curious and wondering if you could help,

So been using cue during the day and still ciggs now and then,

Yesterday I started to use a friends mod aswell,..
So it was cue (MTl) and at times dl with his mod

After a few hours started to feel short of breath or rather the feeling of not able to take deep enough breaths..

I remember few years back when I started vaping,the same thing happened to me,that time was using vap mob intense strawberry,

This time around was using nvc trinity.

Could it be the direct lung hits that’s causing it?

Could it be the juice?since it happens with 2 different juices ?
Hi there @Reaper , I am what you could call a chain vaper, alternating between not so restricted MTL and then restricted DL. I sometimes get that feeling as well if I have vaped a lot. Imho it may be because you are used to the Cue, and the DL might have been just too much. I’m sure the feeling will recede once you are just on the Cue. Please keep us updated on how you feel please, I would like to know if my suspicion regarding it having been too much is correct.

Hi there @Reaper , I am what you could call a chain vaper, alternating between not so restricted MTL and then restricted DL. I sometimes get that feeling as well if I have vaped a lot. Imho it may be because you are used to the Cue, and the DL might have been just too much. I’m sure the feeling will recede once you are just on the Cue. Please keep us updated on how you feel please, I would like to know if my suspicion regarding it having been too much is correct.

I get it on a few big inhales of nic salts, could be nic related?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get this feeling sometimes as well, to me I think it mostly occurs if I've been chain vaping too much (DL sub ohm) or take too many successive pulls from a nic salt device. This causes a bit of a nic rush and shortness in breath. Largely think its attributed to the nic rush.

I get this feeling sometimes as well, to me I think it mostly occurs if I've been chain vaping too much (DL sub ohm) or take too many successive pulls from a nic salt device. This causes a bit of a nic rush and shortness in breath. Largely think its attributed to the nic rush.
Nic salts makes me short of breath and irritates my lungs. I just can't handle the stuff.

@Reaper if you are still smoking cigarettes you might have the seesaw effect going on in your lungs as when you smoke it causes the avioli (spelling?) those little feathery bits to subside not producing enough oxygen. So when you vape the PG (is used in ashma inhalers) wakes up those little feathers again which in turn creates the illusion of shortness of breath as your lungs are trying to keep up. This is by no means a scientific deduction merely my thoughts and similar experience when I started vaping also ...... you will also have a lot of phlegm in the beginning that's just your lungs getting rid of all the kak in your lungs ;)

Whatever you do , don't stop vaping , but like suggested carry on with the Cue till the cigarette urges subside I would say about a month or two (and again my own experiences). I would strongly advise against nic salts as it's still early days , and can cause even worse nic dependence than normal ejuice liquids.

Please do update on the progression as we are here to provide support and help in any way we can.

Nic salts makes me short of breath and irritates my lungs. I just can't handle the stuff.

I found the same , do you normally vape 70/30 ? Most nic salts are 50/50 and I find the added PG a bit harsh for me too ......

I found the same , do you normally vape 70/30 ? Most nic salts are 50/50 and I find the added PG a bit harsh for me too ......
I mix @ 50/50 12mg freebase nic, PG does not bother me. In the early days Liqua juice was 70% PG and I vaped it for years but I do vape @ a low 15W MTL throughout the day. The Nic salts was mixed @ 50/50 but it was not the PG that irritated me, it was the Nic salts, the sensation was weird.

All of my Dripper juice is 3mg freebase @ 70% VG.

I mix @ 50/50 12mg freebase nic, PG does not bother me. In the early days Liqua juice was 70% PG and I vaped it for years but I do vape @ a low 15W MTL throughout the day. The Nic salts was mixed @ 50/50 but it was not the PG that irritated me, it was the Nic salts, the sensation was weird.

All of my Dripper juice is 3mg freebase @ 70% VG.

Yeah also tried nic salts , very chemical taste and irritated my throat as well ......

Yeah also tried nic salts , very chemical taste and irritated my throat as well ......
It felt like I had popping candy in my lungs @ 24mg. I'll stay with freebase thanks

it causes the avioli (spelling?) those little feathery bits to subside not producing enough oxygen.
Omg ....... thank goodness you are not a Biology teacher. :)

Just a quick lowdown on the effects of nic on breathing and circulation. :)

Nicotine is a stimulant that affects the adrenal glands, which results in the release of adrenaline.
This surge of adrenaline stimulates the body. There is an immediate release of glucose, as well as an increase in heart rate, breathing activity, and blood pressure.
Adrenaline leads to hyperglycemia which resists the function of insulin causing the higher blood pressure. Hence the reason why high nic levels can also lead to diabetes.
Heart must work harder now to circulate blood containing the vital oxygen for your cells. This in turn means that the respiratory muscles must work harder so that breathing rate increases to get in more air which will now be swapped for carbon dioxide at your ALVEOLI, which are tiny air sacs at the base of your terminal bronchioli. Adrenaline can also cause the smooth muscles of the bronchioli to contract causing constriction which means less air can pass through to the alveoli for sufficient gaseous exchange to occur.

Bottom line ................. .the higher the nic the more adrenaline is released which overstimulates the sympathetic nervous system, making your breathing become rapid and shallow, your heart rate increase, and your blood pressure rise.

Also bear in mind that certain flavors can also agitate the respiratory system. In my case cinnamon is one of those examples.

Last edited:

Nicotine is a stimulant that affects the adrenal glands, which results in the release of adrenaline.
This surge of adrenaline stimulates the body. There is an immediate release of glucose, as well as an increase in heart rate, breathing activity, and blood pressure.
Adrenaline leads to hyperglycemia which resists the function of insulin causing the higher blood pressure. Hence the reason why high nic levels can also lead to diabetes.
Heart must work harder now to circulate blood containing the vital oxygen for your cells. This in turn means that the respiratory muscles must work harder so that breathing rate increases to get in more air which will now be swapped for carbon dioxide at your ALVEOLI, which are tiny air sacs at the base of your terminal bronchioli. Adrenaline can also cause the smooth muscles of the bronchioli to contract causing constriction which means less air can pass through to the alveoli for sufficient gaseous exchange to occur.

Bottom line ................. .the higher the nic the more adrenaline is released which overstimulates the sympathetic nervous system, making your breathing become rapid and shallow, your heart rate increase, and your blood pressure rise.

Thank you oh wise one, its alittle scary understanding it that way.... i live on nic salts so it is concerning.

Vegetable Glycerin (VG) is also known to cause shortness of breath for some people at higher percentages. Most e-liquids for pod systems use a 50/50 VG/PG ratio whilst most regular e-liquids for DL setups use a 70/30 ratio. Obviously there are exceptions to the norm...

Based on this you may have an intolerance to VG at higher percentages. As mentioned by @KZOR, some flavours can also cause a tightness in your chest. Cinnamon, custards & buttery flavours for example can all contribute towards that feeling.

I personally didn't experience it much but I found that it took some getting used to DL vaping. After about a month or so the tight chest & morning congestion had subsided. Vaping too much cinnamon etc. can still have that effect though...

The nice thing about DIY mixing is that you can mix e-liquid at your desired percentages... Otherwise, you may struggle a bit to find juices mixed at your desired ratios.

Hope this helps a bit... :)

Sorry for the noob question..but what does freebase mean?I'm getting a pod system soon and not sure what liquid to get as I have read a few times about being carefull of nic salts?what would you guys surgest?I'm a pretty heavy smoker and really sick of those things called stinkies! ! TIA

Sorry for the noob question..but what does freebase mean?I'm getting a pod system soon and not sure what liquid to get as I have read a few times about being carefull of nic salts?what would you guys surgest?I'm a pretty heavy smoker and really sick of those things called stinkies! ! TIA

Welcome and great move quitting the stinkies ....

Freebase is just another term for normal ejuice (the non nic salt versions you get in shops).
You get different strengths so depending how heavy a smoker you were I would probably start with 6mg strength or higher.
Mouth To Lung devices are also better suited as they simulate the draw of a cigarette , the Cue was mentioned its a simple no fuss device and I think the pods are 18mg freebase , but not refillable. Otherwise I'm sure the more knowledgeable ppl will comment soon enough :)
Nic Salts are NOT meant for sub ohm vaping IMHO (anything under 0.Xohms on your coil) as the liquid can get carcinogenic at higher temperatures (this is what other more educated ppl have been saying not me ...).

Welcome and great move quitting the stinkies ....

Freebase is just another term for normal ejuice (the non nic salt versions you get in shops).
You get different strengths so depending how heavy a smoker you were I would probably start with 6mg strength or higher.
Mouth To Lung devices are also better suited as they simulate the draw of a cigarette , the Cue was mentioned its a simple no fuss device and I think the pods are 18mg freebase , but not refillable. Otherwise I'm sure the more knowledgeable ppl will comment soon enough :)
Nic Salts are NOT meant for sub ohm vaping IMHO (anything under 0.Xohms on your coil) as the liquid can get carcinogenic at higher temperatures (this is what other more educated ppl have been saying not me ...).
Ah okay now I understand. .thanks man.yeah been vaping a couple of months now.tried 6mg in my sub and almost died!!!hahahaha.think I will be getting the breeze 2 as it's refillable and also the coils.thanks for the info

Another thing...in the beginning when I started vaping I only smoked like 2 sigs a day for 2 weeks.after that I just needed that nic fix.so I think higher nic is on the cards for me.

Ah okay now I understand. .thanks man.yeah been vaping a couple of months now.tried 6mg in my sub and almost died!!!hahahaha.think I will be getting the breeze 2 as it's refillable and also the coils.thanks for the info

Freebase is just another term for normal ejuice
Almost there @Daniel . :)

Freebase refers to the purest form of nicotine. It is the type of nicotine used in the tobacco industry and as a ingredient in the majority of ejuices.
Freebase nicotine has a higher pH and this dramatic increase in alkaline causes a harsher throat-hit, thus causing people to vape at smaller amounts than they may need.

Nic salts is a mixture of nicotine and other organic compounds like benzoic acid. It lowers the pH levels of nicotine, reducing alkalinity in the process. The end result is a much smoother vaping experience. This also allows the juice, with higher nic levels, to be vaped at lower temperatures making it suitable for pens and pods.

Almost there @Daniel . :)

Freebase refers to the purest form of nicotine. It is the type of nicotine used in the tobacco industry and as a ingredient in the majority of ejuices.
Freebase nicotine has a higher pH and this dramatic increase in alkaline causes a harsher throat-hit, thus causing people to vape at smaller amounts than they may need.

Nic salts is a mixture of nicotine and other organic compounds like benzoic acid. It lowers the pH levels of nicotine, reducing alkalinity in the process. The end result is a much smoother vaping experience. This also allows the juice, with higher nic levels, to be vaped at lower temperatures making it suitable for pens and pods.

This is a well informed answer

This is a well informed answer

Thanks for the info,I actually read this a couple of months ago but as you can see I forgot.

it causes the avioli (spelling?) those little feathery bits to subside not producing enough oxygen.

Also bear in mind that certain flavors can also agitate the respiratory system. In my case cinnamon is one of those examples.

Ok but it does not make sense that I feel worse when doing DL hit with the 3mg nic vs using a cue which has a lot more nic in it,,could I be getting more nicotine because I am taking in more vapour?

And since I wanna move to the nautilus mini ,you all suggest stay on freebase rather than salt nic?

Another thing I also have noticed when heavy vaping is that it seems to me that i get dehydrated.is this possible?

Back