Show us your Builds - Kayfun, Russians & Similar

What differences does the hight of your coil make?
1.taste
2.th
3.vapor

Hope i did it right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 23
Would u say this one is to far away for better taste?
Or might the diameter be to big, think it is 3.5mm?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 23
Or this one??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 21
Hope i did it right?

Would u say this one is to far away for better taste?
Or might the diameter be to big, think it is 3.5mm?

Or this one??

The first one you posted is the best, imo.
For future though, you see that left leg? try wrapping the leg about an 1/8th of a turn more.
Reason: That leg basically touching your airflow intake, could cause it to leak juice out into your airflow.
The second batch of pics you can see the leg is perfect, not touching the airflow nubbin. So - combine #1 and #2 together, and you got it perfect!

But a very nice coil.

What differences does the hight of your coil make?
1.taste
2.th
3.vapor

All 3 are affected.
Higher means more airflow.
But it also means closer to the top of the chamber.
A higher coil gives a hotter, denser vape. Throat hit will increase quite noticeably.
Flavour will become slightly more airy - think like a dripper, only not quite.
Vapour will be more, with it getting a more complete airflow around it. Not very noticeable, but it is there.

I have been wanting to do a dual coil Kayfun build for a while now and finally got around to it today :party:

Technical details:
28G Kanthal
2.5mm ID
(2x) 12 wraps
1.1Ohm
Organic cotton wick

Notes:
It was a bit of a challenge to position the coils correctly, but not too bad. I'm sure subsequent builds will be easier now that I've got it down.I suspect this build will be better using 30G or higher, but the 28G did just fine - even though the coils take a tad longer than I'd like to heat up. The wicking seems to be good, not a single dry hit and no flooding - I've put a full tank through it already. Flavour is fantastic (quite intense) and vapor production is quite decent - it is a slightly warmer vape than I'm used to since I'm firing at 20W. I did run into a little problem (of my own design), but I'll note that at the end after the pictures (so there is a point of reference). All-in-all, the kayfun performs pretty well using a dual coil build and it's not too much hassle to build it.

And now for some pictures :tmi:

The 2x 12 wrap coils (kinda rough, but they work)
IMG_4620.JPG

First I tried to attach the coils one at a time, but I could not get them to cooperate - so I twisted their legs together, which made them much easier to work with
IMG_4622.JPG

Resistance came out to 1.1Ohm
IMG_4624.JPG

This is the initial placement...
IMG_4625.JPG

...and after I re-positioned them - here is where I made a mistake - which I will elaborate on at the bottom :)
IMG_4630.JPG

Wick with some organic cotton...
IMG_4633.JPG

...trimmed...
IMG_4635.JPG

...and tucked, and ready to go :)
IMG_4636.JPG

Glowing quite nicely :rock:
_VID_20141122_181144_C.gif

Troubleshooting:
After I re-positioned the coils, like an idiot I did not retest the resistance to make sure all was well. In the image you can clearly see that the one lead is just about touching the airflow hole. So once I wicked it and put it on my device I got very weird resitance readings (jumping around between 1.1 to 3.0). I realized it was a short, but it did not immediately dawn on me what I had done wrong. Then I looked at the pictures I took (glad I did that), saw the lead was close and deducted that my wicking must have pushed it down and caused it to touch ;(

At this point I had already filled it up so I had to drain the juice, remove the chimney, lift up the wicks and bend the lead with a small screwdriver until it was no longer close to the airflow hole, then rebuild it. It was quite a juicy experience :--P

Thankfully I was able to salvage the build and it has been working like a champ all day :)

So that's my take on dual coiling the Kayfun...now I'm pretty keen on doing a dual coil build on the Lemo - which will be much easier using the post holes instead of trying to work two wires beneath the screws :nod:

I have been wanting to do a dual coil Kayfun build for a while now and finally got around to it today :party:

Technical details:
28G Kanthal
2.5mm ID
(2x) 12 wraps
1.1Ohm
Organic cotton wick

Notes:
It was a bit of a challenge to position the coils correctly, but not too bad. I'm sure subsequent builds will be easier now that I've got it down.I suspect this build will be better using 30G or higher, but the 28G did just fine - even though the coils take a tad longer than I'd like to heat up. The wicking seems to be good, not a single dry hit and no flooding - I've put a full tank through it already. Flavour is fantastic (quite intense) and vapor production is quite decent - it is a slightly warmer vape than I'm used to since I'm firing at 20W. I did run into a little problem (of my own design), but I'll note that at the end after the pictures (so there is a point of reference). All-in-all, the kayfun performs pretty well using a dual coil build and it's not too much hassle to build it.

And now for some pictures :tmi:

The 2x 12 wrap coils (kinda rough, but they work)
View attachment 15886

First I tried to attach the coils one at a time, but I could not get them to cooperate - so I twisted their legs together, which made them much easier to work with
View attachment 15887

Resistance came out to 1.1Ohm
View attachment 15888

This is the initial placement...
View attachment 15889

...and after I re-positioned them - here is where I made a mistake - which I will elaborate on at the bottom :)
View attachment 15890

Wick with some organic cotton...
View attachment 15891

...trimmed...
View attachment 15892

...and tucked, and ready to go :)
View attachment 15893

Glowing quite nicely :rock:
View attachment 15894

Troubleshooting:
After I re-positioned the coils, like an idiot I did not retest the resistance to make sure all was well. In the image you can clearly see that the one lead is just about touching the airflow hole. So once I wicked it and put it on my device I got very weird resitance readings (jumping around between 1.1 to 3.0). I realized it was a short, but it did not immediately dawn on me what I had done wrong. Then I looked at the pictures I took (glad I did that), saw the lead was close and deducted that my wicking must have pushed it down and caused it to touch ;(

At this point I had already filled it up so I had to drain the juice, remove the chimney, lift up the wicks and bend the lead with a small screwdriver until it was no longer close to the airflow hole, then rebuild it. It was quite a juicy experience :--P

Thankfully I was able to salvage the build and it has been working like a champ all day :)

So that's my take on dual coiling the Kayfun...now I'm pretty keen on doing a dual coil build on the Lemo - which will be much easier using the post holes instead of trying to work two wires beneath the screws :nod:

I absolutely love my double-barrel Russian builds.
You are right though, works a lot better with 30g/32g wire.
I tend to do 1mm nanocoils, using a syringe to wrap.

Flavour, as you said, gets quite intense with the double-barrel.
Trust me when I say though - 32g nano (1mm) double barrel is insanely nice!

I absolutely love my double-barrel Russian builds.
You are right though, works a lot better with 30g/32g wire.
I tend to do 1mm nanocoils, using a syringe to wrap.

Flavour, as you said, gets quite intense with the double-barrel.
Trust me when I say though - 32g nano (1mm) double barrel is insanely nice!

Thanks for the confirmation... now I really want to rebuild it again - haven't done any nano coils, definitely on my todo list :D

I'll stick with the 28G for a few days, but I see a new build in my immediate future :)

I've been meaning to post a Lemo build on here (besides the initial one I did) and thought I'd sneak one in before the new year :D

So far most of my coils have been around 1 Ohm with 2-2.5 ID because I had gotten used to that in the Kayfun - got a lot of dry hits with 1.5 ID coils due to the lower volume of wick that fits through those coils. But after a discussion with @Silver, who mentioned using a 1.5 ID coil, I thought I'd give it a go again in the Lemo (for Science :nerd:).

For this build I wanted to do more wraps and I'm all out of 26G kanthal so I used 28G and ended up with the following:

28G, 10 Wraps, 1.5 ID, 1.5 Ohm (actually it settled at 1.4 after a bit of use, but it measured 1.5 initially).

I was aiming a bit lower, but I forgot to compensate for the longer legs when using the post holes, luckily the 1.4 Ohm coil ended up working quite nicely :D

I was surprised by just how well the Lemo (as opposed to the Kayfun) holds up with the lower volume of cotton. I've vaped around 5ml (SB Happy Holidays :cool:) on this coil already and not a single dry hit and no gurgling @ 12-15W. This RTA just handles everything you throw at it :)

And now, without further ado, some pictures :nod:

First the coil, inserted through the holes, and positioned to my taste :D
(I forgot to take a picture of it with the legs clipped off - I just use a nail clipper to clip the excess at the opposite side of the hole once i've tightened the screws)
Also take care to bend the leg on the "short side" (by the small gap) so that it does not make contact with the other side.

IMG_4750.JPG IMG_4753.JPG IMG_4755.JPG IMG_4762.JPG

Next some glowing coils...nice and even :cool: (Ohm reading 1.5Ohm after tweaking)
IMG_4763.JPG IMG_4772.JPG IMG_4777.JPG IMG_4780.JPG

And finally the wicking and priming (I cut the cotton a bit longer than usual because it's thin)

IMG_4783.JPG IMG_4789.JPG IMG_4790.JPG IMG_4792.JPG IMG_4791.JPG

And that's it - I just put it all back together again (without the King's Men :rofl:), filled her up and have been vaping quite nicely all afternoon :dance:

Last edited:
Thanks @free3dom
Great coil and lovely writeup
Thanks for showing all the pictures.

Did you notice much difference between the larger diameter coil and this 1.5mm?

Can you believe it - with all the festivities and family events - I have still not had a chance to play with my Lemo.
Hopefully that will change soon.
Last night was the first time I had some uninterrupted time - but I had to pitstop the workhorses - that comes first - before playing with new gear.

Thanks @free3dom
Great coil and lovely writeup
Thanks for showing all the pictures.

Did you notice much difference between the larger diameter coil and this 1.5mm?

Can you believe it - with all the festivities and family events - I have still not had a chance to play with my Lemo.
Hopefully that will change soon.
Last night was the first time I had some uninterrupted time - but I had to pitstop the workhorses - that comes first - before playing with new gear.

The 1.5 ID coil does give a slight increase in flavour and vapor production compared to 2.0 which I'm guessing is due to the fact that more of the wick is in direct contact with the coil (more wraps) - the same can probably be achieved using 2.0 and 26G (but this may require a bit more power to get the same effect). The improved flavour may however be just in my head because I've only been vaping SkyBlue Happy Holidays on this coil so far and it is a new flavour to me :). Vapor production however has definitely seen an slight increase.

Overall though, even if it is subjective, this is my favourite build on the Lemo so far. I'll definitely stick to 1.5 ID for my next coil - will get some more 26G kanthal so I can lower the resistance a bit. Or maybe just do a few less wraps on the 28G :nerd:

I can totally relate to how "busy" the holiday season has been. This is the first time I've re-coiled any of my devices in weeks - have just been re-wicking like a madman because it only takes me 5 minutes. I've also been meaning to do some more DIY experiments; I hope I find some time to get to it soon :D

It's better to take your time with the new device, especially since you've not used any kayfun-ish devices in a while :) I still have much coil experimentation to do with the Lemo, even though I've had it for quite a while. Because it's my workhorse, I tend to not want to rebuild a coil when it works really well :p

Thanks for the feedback @free3dom

I have tried 2mm in my Reos (RM2 mouth to lung) and I prefer 1.5mm
That - and 28g tends to give me a crisper vape around the 0.8 to 1 ohm resistance.

I haven't tried 2mm iD for my paracoil - but I am more than happy with the 1.5mm.

I do think it makes sense though that as you go higher in power, you need more wicking material and you probably need to go bigger in ID and can also use a thicker wire. But that is just my speculation. Perhaps some of the more experienced coilers can comment.

thanks @free3dom really nice write up. I am going to try the 1.5 build on the Kayfun and see if it helps give that a bit more kick ;)

I didn't now the lemo and the Kayfun is so similar

Thanks for the feedback @free3dom

I have tried 2mm in my Reos (RM2 mouth to lung) and I prefer 1.5mm
That - and 28g tends to give me a crisper vape around the 0.8 to 1 ohm resistance.

I haven't tried 2mm iD for my paracoil - but I am more than happy with the 1.5mm.

I do think it makes sense though that as you go higher in power, you need more wicking material and you probably need to go bigger in ID and can also use a thicker wire. But that is just my speculation. Perhaps some of the more experienced coilers can comment.

I also think that with different type of wicking material (such as Rayon) it might work just as good with less wick, but don't have any to compare.

I have been looking at the Lemo on some of the vendor sites, and its really starting to make its way to my wishlist rapidly... allong with one or two other things :clap:

@free3dom My build looks similar to yours on the Lemo and also runs at 1.4, I just wicked it differently, will try your wicking next time. Only difference is mine is slightly lower on the deck, almost halfway lower than yours. I find the flavor muted and lots of popping at any wattage. Any tips?

@free3dom My build looks similar to yours on the Lemo and also runs at 1.4, I just wicked it differently, will try your wicking next time. Only difference is mine is slightly lower on the deck, almost halfway lower than yours. I find the flavor muted and lots of popping at any wattage. Any tips?

It could be due to the fact that the coil is closer to the airhole...I've always preferred my coils higher so it increases the air that flows around the coil. Wicking is of course also very important to flavour, but so far just about every way of wicking I've tried has worked without any issues at all. I've also never had any popping, but I only really run these type of builds at ~12-16W.

So what power are you using it at? and also how open is your airflow?

Airflow is just below half way open, although unscrewing a few times for refilling I need to re-adjust again. Power - I generally settle at about 10W on the iStick, right now its at 8.5. Forgot to mention I really can't do PG so my juice is about 85/90VG.

Airflow is just below half way open, although unscrewing a few times for refilling I need to re-adjust again. Power - I generally settle at about 10W on the iStick, right now its at 8.5. Forgot to mention I really can't do PG so my juice is about 85/90VG.

With high VG (especially at 80+) flavour does become muted (I've done some DIY experiments and have definitely found this to be true), so it would probably be better to run it at slightly higher power. I tend to use it at at least 12W for light flavours and a bit higher for complex ones - and that is with 50/50 liquids.

I'm not exactly sure how VG and flavour relate to wick usage, but because VG is thicker, it might be worth a try to look into different wicking materials (but this is me just spitballing, I've no idea whether or not it would actually affect flavour :D).

Thanks I'll play around a bit more. The same liquid in the nautilus is awesome, and even with 100VG I have yet to have a dry hit on it, flavour always spot on. Awesome device. The best I had on the Lemo so far was... well... Meh. I'm determined to make it work.

Thanks I'll play around a bit more. The same liquid in the nautilus is awesome, and even with 100VG I have yet to have a dry hit on it, flavour always spot on. Awesome device. The best I had on the Lemo so far was... well... Meh. I'm determined to make it work.

That is what led me to wonder about the wicking and it's effect on flavour. Not exactly sure exactly what kind of wicking the BVC coils use, but it might be that they absorb the higher VG better. I do hope you get it working as the Lemo with high VG is cloud machine, and the flavour I got off it was more than decent (even compared to the exact same juice but in high PG).

Back