Show us your Builds - User Made Tank Coils (Protanks, Nautilus Etc.)

don't need an ohm reader as long as you have an electronic device that reads ohms. i just use my vamo for measure coil resistances even though i have one of those little black ohm reader thingies. think my vamo is more accurate also :)
got yourself one of those little blowtorch thingies yet? they great for heating your microcoils so they stay nicely together. and for torching the kanthal before you start wrapping so it's less springy and stays in its shape better

don't need an ohm reader as long as you have an electronic device that reads ohms. i just use my vamo for measure coil resistances even though i have one of those little black ohm reader thingies. think my vamo is more accurate also :)
got yourself one of those little blowtorch thingies yet? they great for heating your microcoils so they stay nicely together. and for torching the kanthal before you start wrapping so it's less springy and stays in its shape better
@denizenx I've been looking around for 1 but cant seem to get my hands on one, any idea who has it here in durbz.

builders warehouse from R100 to R400 get yourself a multi-meter, for checking those battery's as well!
At some point you will buy a mech and need the meter, and its more accurate then those little boxes any way ;)

yeah also heard you can get a nice little blowtorch from some pick and pays behind the cigarette counter. puts my little blowtorch to shame. my one mate also got a darn nice one from outdoorwarehouse

A quick read of the thread leaves with the impression that cotton is preffered for the pt rebuilds, I know I found a silica main+cotton flavour wick combo sorted out my flooding with vg high liquids but didnt do much for flavour.
Checked dischem today and all I found was organic cotton ear buds. ...not so much of helpful.
Got a roll of dove cotton and I havent died yet

try using cotton as the wick instead of the silica, the flavour wick is not neccesary, i dont believe it adds flavour any way ;D

I think that kanger put in the flavour wick to assist in preventing possible leaks when using silica.

I am enjoying the cotton wick, did have some issues at first, as in too much cotton or too tightly packed but i am getting much better at wicking as is the flavor

I am enjoying the cotton wick, did have some issues at first, as in too much cotton or too tightly packed but i am getting much better at wicking as is the flavor
Yeah you dont wanna twist up the cotton too much, only twist up the end that you are going to feed through the coil then snip it off.

Wanna keep the cotton as fluffy as possible to get the most out of what cotton has to offer as a wicking material

Yeah you dont wanna twist up the cotton too much, only twist up the end that you are going to feed through the coil then snip it off.

Wanna keep the cotton as fluffy as possible to get the most out of what cotton has to offer as a wicking material
yea i have been making this mistake, pulled it through so gently today it just glided in, tastes amazing!

Do you then just fluff it up at the juice hole to prevent flooding?

Do you then just fluff it up at the juice hole to prevent flooding?
you dont always have to do that, if you keep the wick fluffy when wicking the coil then the fluffiness should be enough to cover the holes on the side.

If it is not then what I do is once the top step is placed on the coil I juice the ends then lightly pack against the holes, that stops any possible leaks

will give it a shot,cutting soaked wicks on my 3d dripper today i found dry cores,so it looks like i do overtwist em.
its that small space that scares me,but will set up,maybe do a video if i can figure out a tripod

will give it a shot,cutting soaked wicks on my 3d dripper today i found dry cores,so it looks like i do overtwist em.
its that small space that scares me,but will set up,maybe do a video if i can figure out a tripod
Sounds like you definitely twisted a bit too much.

Also you dont want a too tight of a fit. The way to test if you are using too much cotton is that once the coil is wicked and you have not wet the wick yet, pull on the wick from one side, if the atty moves withyou pulling the wick then you have too much cotton in.

If you pull and there is absolutely no resistance and the wick moves through the coil with ease then there is too little cotton.

If you pull the wick and there is a bit of resistance but the atty does not move then that is the right amount of cotton.

Hey guys...... I'm way too lazy to back track through this thread..... Has anyone built a chimney coil in a mPT2/3 or Nautilus cup?

Hey guys...... I'm way too lazy to back track through this thread..... Has anyone built a chimney coil in a mPT2/3 or Nautilus cup?
I have but don't have the pics with me now, can post a pic when I get home tonight

I have but don't have the pics with me now, can post a pic when I get home tonight
oh cool, would love to see how it turned out.... been thinking about it for ages :) Gonna give it a shot as soon as I have some free time

oh cool, would love to see how it turned out.... been thinking about it for ages :) Gonna give it a shot as soon as I have some free time
It vaped like a champ and true to its design the throat hit was emmense.

here goes, 1x Chimney coil in my Mini Protank 3

Coil made with 28g Kanthal, 2mm ID, 8 or 9, maybe 10 wraps... lost count :rolleyes:
10406556_10204129369456003_4142323311054392794_n.jpg

Seated comfortably in the cup after wrapping it in a nice warm cotton blanky
10487353_10204129370256023_289026846616515827_n.jpg

The gaps on the sides were still open so I stuffed them with teeny tiny little cotton balls
10487232_10204129369776011_8189379424394369809_n.jpg

Came out at 1.7Ω but after stuffing and juicing it up it now reads 1.4Ω
10354802_10204129369135995_3364787958364597961_n.jpg

So, how does it vape? It sucks, this coil suffocates in the mPT3, simply can't get enough air through the base to take advantage of this coil. Perhaps building this setup in the Nautilus will yeild better results. Or perhaps I screwed something up.

Hmmm.... I think the coil is sitting too low in the cup, needs to be higher up, that should eliminate the need for the mini cotton balletjies

Back