Strange Place Names

Hooked

Vapin' up a Storm
LV

Awards
Which places (towns/cities etc.) have strange names?

They can be anywhere in the world - or out of it!

Here's a few in SA. I'm sure you could think of more.

Yzerfontein
Modderfontein
Tittiesbaai
Graskop

Riviersonderend
Pofadder
Conception Bay (Namibia)
Sandwich Harbour (Namibia)

Some longer ones :
Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg, United States.
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu NZ
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
Tweebuffelsmeteenskootmorsdoodgeskietfontein, SA
upload_2021-4-27_20-20-4.jpeg

Last edited:
Bovenendvankeelafsnysleegte is a farm in South Africa in the Upper Karoo of Northern Cape Town. It is South Africa’s second-longest one-word place name, and at 27 letters, it is the world’s ninth-longest place name. It comes from the Afrikaans language, and it means the upper end of a throat-cut valley

"Centurion" is not a strange name, but its the only city in the world named after a sport stadium.

Nooitgedacht Wine Estate
I would never have thought it.

Loskop Dam

Hotazel

250px-Hotazel_gate.jpg

- Blubberhouses, North Yorkshire, England, United Kindgom
- Dead Chinaman, Papua New Guinea
- Ass, Respublika Krym, Ukraine
- Fockendorf, Bavaria, Germany
- Windpassing, Upper Austria, Austria

Winner! The uk has some really strange ones but after 2 years here I’m used to it.

there’s a pub called The Abbey Vaults

I live close to an area known to the locals as The Barff - on the map it shows as Brayton but it’s localised to Barff Lane, popular dog walking area.

another area - Nun Appleton. Monk Fryston which I went through for my dentist appointment yesterday.

-Wankers Corner A village in Oregon, United States.

-Big Beaver A town in Saskatchewan, Canada and another in Beaver County, Pennsylvania, both sharing some big beavers.

-Port Circumcision A cove in Petermann Island in the Wilhelm Archipelago, in Graham Land, Antarctica. Named after the Feast of the Circumcision of Christ.

-Dildo This town in Newfoundland has a mascot named "Captain Dildo" (contrast with Flin Flon); the etymology for this name is unclear. One theory is that it originally referred to a phallus-shaped peg used to lock an oar in position on a dory (small boat). Jimmy Kimmel is Honorary Mayor.

-Goose Pimple Junction An unincorporated community in Virginia.

-Intercourse An Amish town in Pennsylvania, United States. There is also a small community called Intercourse in Alabama.

Winner! The uk has some really strange ones but after 2 years here I’m used to it.

there’s a pub called The Abbey Vaults

I live close to an area known to the locals as The Barff - on the map it shows as Brayton but it’s localised to Barff Lane, popular dog walking area.

another area - Nun Appleton. Monk Fryston which I went through for my dentist appointment yesterday.
Agree i could just flood this thread with hilarious place and road name signs but people would think most are fake because they are that funny and rude but they are all genuine!

Lol, BTW I'm in North Yorkshire.
Have you visited York Claire? Beautiful City, what i also love about it is how many bespoke shops there are instead of just being a clone of every other Town Centre, Norwich is like that too!

Have you visited York Claire? Beautiful City, what i also love about it is how many bespoke shops there are instead of just being a clone of every other Town Centre, Norwich is like that too!
I have been there once or twice. I have been to the York Designer Outlet with my godparents - shoes at Clark's were on offer so went there. Then my godmother proceeded to tell me the story of my sister and brothers being dropped off there many years ago.

I've only been through to parts of West Yorkshire (Knottingley where my dentist is), honestly I haven't travelled much outside of Selby since the lockdown started. Before that, I used to travel to Hereford, Clyro, Bridgend (Pen-y-Bont), Ogmore Castle, and a few other places I can't remember.

BTW Wales has the most strangest place names - there was this little town close to Clyro - a sleepy bookworm town - Hay-on-Wye. Lovely little town with lots of bookshops and tea rooms. Had a good laugh at one place called Brilley and there was a sign on the side of the road that said Ooo Betty's. So every time we passed that sign, I'd go Brilley! Ooo Betty's!

I have been there once or twice. I have been to the York Designer Outlet with my godparents - shoes at Clark's were on offer so went there. Then my godmother proceeded to tell me the story of my sister and brothers being dropped off there many years ago.

I've only been through to parts of West Yorkshire (Knottingley where my dentist is), honestly I haven't travelled much outside of Selby since the lockdown started. Before that, I used to travel to Hereford, Clyro, Bridgend (Pen-y-Bont), Ogmore Castle, and a few other places I can't remember.

BTW Wales has the most strangest place names - there was this little town close to Clyro - a sleepy bookworm town - Hay-on-Wye. Lovely little town with lots of bookshops and tea rooms. Had a good laugh at one place called Brilley and there was a sign on the side of the road that said Ooo Betty's. So every time we passed that sign, I'd go Brilley! Ooo Betty's!
Yeah Hay-on Wye is quaint! Hereford i haven't been too for years but remember visiting there as a kid when we were staying in a holiday cottage in the Breckon Beacons!

Back