Subox - going through coils like a dose of salts.

daveza

New Vaper
LV

Awards
So, close on 3 years vaping, two years on my trusty Subox-mini.

1.2 coils have always lasted me at least 3-4 weeks before they run out of oomph, now all of a sudden a new coil will last 24-48 hours if I'm lucky and they don't run out of oomph but the juice tastes burnt and vile.

I'm using coils from different sources so unlikely to be a dodgy batch.

My settings have been at 12.5W always and have been using Benji's VM4 since the day I started vaping.

I'm out of ideas, anyone have some for me ?

Hi @daveza

I have no experience with those commercial coils

But maybe the coils they are providing now are just not as long lasting

Perhaps you can find some joy on a rebuildable.
My subtank mini has been performing reliably since the day i got it - and that was a few years ago. Am using the rba base and the coil i make for it lasts me ages. I just rewick about every 40ml or so.

Its been consistent and reliable for a long time!

I had a similar problem with my Aegis. I suspect it fires higher than what it says. Do you have another mod to test this? Set both at the same wattage and see if the vape is more or less the same.

The juice holes for kangertech atties
are higher than other devices, also I see a lot of bubble formation around the juice holes which prevents the juice from going into the coils.
"I tried to be a good photographer, as much as possible "IMG_20180204_101019.jpg

I didnt use this tank for a long time as it's glass was broken and only recently started using it again. Burnt a few coils myself as forgot to "shake" the device a few times for the air bubbles to go away because I was too used to using the newer atties which mostly don't have this problem.

Last edited:
And you're sure you're using the same coils? You havent had a SS batch or something different to what you normally use?

And you're sure you're using the same coils? You havent had a SS batch or something different to what you normally use?

I had got SS wire which I used for the RBA, had to stop using it because the mod was not configured to handle ss316l wire(that's what I understand) The coil heads that I got was the Normal OCC coil.

I got the same setup as pictured above.
I think its the coils.you must remember they make a batch of wire and all the different manufacturers buy it so different vendors might have the same batch.also check your cotton if its burned or black then it is the coils.you can do what @Silver suggest and use the rebuild able or you can just rebuild the replaceable coils.@bumblebee did a nice show and tell somewhere on this forum.
the bubbles isn't an issue that's when juice goes through into the coil chamber and swops out with air

Odd, I could have sworn I posted a reply but can't see it so let me repeat .

I noticed the air flow control vents looked a bit dodgy, stuck some tissue into them and pulled out what looked like crude oil.

Gave it a thorough cleaning ( I can actually see the steel shaft inside now ) and we seem to be back on the good stuff again.

Do I presume the debris was blocking air flow and overheating the coil ?

@daveza if all seems good now, I think it's safe to say that was definitely the problem!

Maybe make a point of cleaning that area of the atty every now and then so it won't happen again.

Odd, I could have sworn I posted a reply but can't see it so let me repeat .

I noticed the air flow control vents looked a bit dodgy, stuck some tissue into them and pulled out what looked like crude oil.

Gave it a thorough cleaning ( I can actually see the steel shaft inside now ) and we seem to be back on the good stuff again.

Do I presume the debris was blocking air flow and overheating the coil ?
I've often fix a problematic setup by simply taking it completely apart, and cleaning everything I can. If there was build up there then it what you think is happening does seem plausible, at least things are on the up though!

Back