Surge Protection and Surge Arrestors

RainstormZA

Grumpy Old Vaper
LV

Awards
So I've come to the point where my parents will need to get some sort of protection from power surges and power spikes, due to load shedding and power line instability.

There are so many options on the market so I want to ask those who know better on which ones would be the best.

We have just lost a Netgear A6300 wireless router today, due to load shedding and several faults on the power line. Luckily, I knew there was a spare and I set it up myself. So far, so good.

So I need to create some sort of protection for the next one that probably will come after my parents come back from Holland in late January.

Last edited:
We had some cable theft in a nearby Joburg City Power transformer - and there was a 380V surge which blew a few lights and my speakers connected to my computer - and my charger of my cordless desk phone. Luckily it didnt do more damage than that. There is a guy in our complex who wasn't so lucky - he lost his fancy microwave, fridge, 3 aircon units, DSTV decoder and one or two other things

I would love to insulate myself from these types of things seeing that there may well be more of them.

Interested to hear what develops here

The only thing I can find is the APC SurgeArrestor Essential and then I ended up looking / comparing wifi routers as we don't actually use phone lines in our area (cables always getting stolen). We are wireless with a sat dish - dish parts have been replaced about 3 times over the years.

Geez, what was my dad thinking of forking out around R3000 for a Netgear R6300 wifi router?

If you want to protect computer related tech a good UPS is probably the way to go. Most of them can handle pretty big surges and give you time to switch things off properly. Problem is they cost a ton.

If you want to protect computer related tech a good UPS is probably the way to go. Most of them can handle pretty big surges and give you time to switch things off properly. Problem is they cost a ton.
That's the issue here. Ive done some research, and I can tell you that UPS are only good for one thing - giving you a standby time to shut down safely. It does not provide any protection of any sort.

Ask @lesvaches how many servers at his work that were lost. Even the UPS was fried too, the ones that were supposed to protect the servers.

That's the issue here. Ive done some research, and I can tell you that UPS are only good for one thing - giving you a standby time to shut down safely. It does not provide any protection of any sort.

Ask @lesvaches how many servers at his work that were lost. Even the UPS was fried too, the ones that were supposed to protect the servers.
you should consider dropping Netgear and switching to mikrotik.

My dad won't listen, he thinks Netgear is the best because a sales person told him so. He will even listen to idiots at Incredible Connections but won't take my advice...

@lesvaches, anything wrong with choosing Asus WiFi routers? Btw my motherboard is Asus with surge protection built in and activated, it's a wonder it has lasted me just over 8 years.

My dad won't listen, he thinks Netgear is the best because a sales person told him so. He will even listen to idiots at Incredible Connections but won't take my advice...

@lesvaches, anything wrong with choosing Asus WiFi routers? Btw my motherboard is Asus with surge protection built in and activated, it's a wonder it has lasted me just over 8 years.
i don’t really see anything “wrong” it’s just lack of upgradablity, control and customization.

@RainstormZA, look into class 1 and class 2 surge arrestors.
If you have thatch you probably already have a class one arrestor. The class 2 arrestor coupled with a class 3 at the plug point is effective.
I have not had any damage since I installed a class2 in my DB board.
Just be aware there are R300 ones and R3000 plus arrestors.

When I get moment I will tell you what brand I used as I have forgotten but, I went for the pricey ones as I didn't feel a R300 arrestor would protect my electronics very well.

When we do have surges which is not uncommon, the power dips as the arrestor bleeds the surge current away but about 3 seconds after the dip everything returns to normal and no trips or blown anything.

Last edited:
install-surge-arrester-switchboard.png
table-choose-surge-arrestors.png

We use the DEHN's in all our industrial applications to protect our PLC's and other control panels. We even send them to deepest, darkest Africa where power quality and power surges are common, and they have probably been of our most reliable components.
We do use them along with UPS's which, apart from providing protection against power failures, also "cleans" the incoming power providing our equipment with filtered power, basically.

@RainstormZA, look into class 1 and class 2 surge arrestors.
If you have thatch you probably already have a class one arrestor. The class 2 arrestor coupled with a class 3 at the plug point is effective.
I have not had any damage since I installed a class2 in my DB board.
Just be aware there are R300 ones and R3000 plus arrestors.

When I get moment I will tell you what brand I used as I have forgotten but, I went for the pricey ones as I didn't feel a R300 arrestor would protect my electronics very well.

When we do have surges which is not uncommon, the power dips as the arrestor bleeds the surge current away but about 3 seconds after the dip everything returns to normal and no trips or blown anything.
What about the DB ones that you can add to a household mainboard?

Class 2. The link provided is for the class 1. Just have a look for the class 2 dehn.
Thanks man, I've forwarded the info to my mom and I think she likes the idea of surge protection for all our plugs.

Last time we lost a few expensive appliances, including the gas water heater which left us with no hot water for a week as the parts come from JHB and blew the motor on the Speed Queen washing machine.

One thing that apparently does not work are the anti-surge plugs which can be bought from a hardware store. I had a reminder on my fridge to buy some and an electrician who came to do some work at my house told me not to waste my money - they don't work.

@RainstormZA

I'm curious as to why you don't just switch off the main board altogether when there are power cuts, until the power has come back on?

Dhen is also available from Electro mechanica http://www.em.co.za and way better prices.
I think @RainstormZA needs to do some research for the best price and availability if she decides dehn is her choice.
One thing that apparently does not work are the anti-surge plugs which can be bought from a hardware store. I had a reminder on my fridge to buy some and an electrician who came to do some work at my house told me not to waste my money - they don't work.
The plug variant surge protectors are type 3 and do work in conjunction with a type 2.
They do however appear to not work if you do not have a type 2 installed.
The problem is more a case of people buying them thinking they are safe when in fact it's the last step of a bigger process.

I think @RainstormZA needs to do some research for the best price and availability if she decides dehn is her choice.

That's actually up to the parents because it's their house and I'm providing a means for them to find better protection for their appliances.

Like I said, my mom likes the idea so she will probably talk Dad into getting some.

They plan to be away for up to 6 months of the year in Holland so this will be a wise move for them, knowing hey won't be here if something goes wrong. The last couple of house sitters we had here know nothing on fixing stuff or replacing stuff.

I'm the only one that can fix stuff but I won't be here if sh1t happens.

That's the pro but the con is when and how do you know the power is back on?
You fit a 220v piezzo buzzer and a 220v led light in your DB board with a switch.
When power is out you flip the switch on so when the power returns the buzzer makes a noise and there is also a visual aid to see when the mains are back.

Back