VIP
LV

Awards
Time for a shootout between these three capable tanks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457889693.706827.jpg

From left to right:
  • Lemo1 - with a 1.2 ohm single Kanthal coil and Rayon wick - 12-15 Watts
  • Target with the new Ceramic coil (0.9 ohm Kanthal Ceramic) - 25-30 Watts
  • Subtank Mini - with a 1.2 ohm single Kanthal coil and Rayon wick - 12-15 Watts
I am putting this in the Clearomiser section for the benefit of the Target tank with its commercial ceramic coils - the other two are actually RTAs since I am vaping them on rebuildable coils.

Some background
I love my Fruity Menthol juices in a restrictive lung hit style. Was searching for a long time for a great vape on "Strawberry Ice", which is a blend of VM Strawberry with added menthol concentrate. My blend comes out at about 12mg. For some reason I don't like it in the Reos and they aren't the best for me for mindless puffing at the computer. The Lemo1 has been my mindless fruity menthol vape of choice ever since I got her in early 2015. A few months back I got the popular SubTank Mini just to see what it's all about. Been using them both. But now, the Target tank comes along and is highly regarded. Been vaping these three side by side for about 2 weeks with the exact same juice (that I know very well) and thought I would share my findings.

Disclaimer - this feedback will probably appeal more to those who like strong menthol fruity vapes ;-)

Bottom Line
For me, the Lemo1 still wins. The flavour on it is just razor sharp. Crisp, clear and strong. It's sharp and "edgy" and I like it like that. The Target for me is in a very close second place. Its flavour is very good but I don't get that sharpness I love. The Subtank Mini is no slouch but is clearly in third place. A bit more subdued flavour-wise and also softer.

Lemo1
This tank is just amazing for this juice. It's focused. It's sharp and its accurate. The strawberry comes through and the slight sourness is there after a few toots. It's crystal clear and the menthol is super icy. I get that pleasing menthol throat burn on longer drags. It's a sharp pinprick. Just lovely. One has to hold back sometimes ;-) Have been vaping this for many months with the exact same juice and I don't tire of it. Refreshing as anything and perfect for me for mindless vaping. I am vaping it on a simple 1.2 ohm single at only 12-15 Watts.

Target
These ceramic coils are very good. The flavour is also excellent. It's crisp and clean and pure. The vape is very smooth and the texture seems finer. As if the vapour particles are smaller. It's softer and not as "sharp" as the Lemo1. I get the strawberry and some of the sour but its a different taste, not quite the same definition as the Lemo1 but very good in its own way. It is very pleasing but I find there is a bit less throat hit. Definitely less "menthol burn". Longer 4 second drags, especially the second one starts numbing the mouth but I miss that sharp pinprick from the Lemo1. The vape seems less intense and smoother. You could say more refined. Very good clouds.

It's quite strange that the Target is so smooth and refined despite being vaped at about double the power (25-30W). The ceramic coils definitely smoothe things out.

Despite my preferences for the Lemo1, I suspect most folk would probably appreciate the overall vape more on the Target owing to its smoothness and refinement.

SubTank Mini
This is a great vape too. If I hadn't vaped on the others I would say this is superb. But the flavour is slightly subdued compared to the other two. The sharpness is not there. It's definitely softer. The menthol burn is noticeably less even on longer drags. For me, for this juice it's definitely in third place. But its a good third place - and a great vape - don't get me wrong. I would gladly vape this if it was the only device I had.

Other considerations - practicality and reliability
The Lemo1 and SubTank Mini have proved themselves in the field for me. Both are reliable. I have had little to almost no problems on each.

The Lemo1 has a fillport screw but I have grown very used to it and it is easy to fill with the little plastic needle spout bottles in which I blend the juice for it. The screw is a good one and has been very reliable. Sometimes the Lemo1 leaks a bit out of the airholes when travelling but it has only happened a few times. The wicking is not very difficult once you get it right (I use the drape method). A drawback is that the adjustable airflow ring inside the base changes position unless you have it fully open or closed. Doesn't bother me because I leave it wide open. Nice restrictive lung hit even wide open. I like the capacity of the Lemo1 (about 4ml - the largest of the three) and it is quite economical at 12-15 Watts.

The SubTank Mini has also been very reliable for me. I didn't like the commercial coils at all. But have been using the RBA base. It's so easy to build and wick on this and I have never had a problem. No leaks in a few months and this tank has gone out with me many times. It's also quite economical. I use it on the widest airflow setting. Also gives a nice restrictive lung hit. No wonder this tank is so popular. I like the metal struts which I presume gives it a bit more strength.

With the Target tank I had some troubles on my first ceramic coil. After a few tankfuls I got an intermittent slight burnt taste. The answer I think lies in the initial priming of the coil. You need to suck on it initially without firing - many times. Then suck some more. Then leave it to sit for a long time. I found leaving it overnight (after all the sucking) and using it the next morning has worked very well. No leaks at all so far on this tank. Simple to fill. Only drawback is that it doesn't take all that much juice - about 3ml - and you need to fill it more frequently. It does go through juice much faster than the other two.

Thanks very interesting shootout helps me a lot personally. My tfv4 tank is too heavy on juice and I am not really a cloud chaser so i have been tempted to get a ceramic coil tank. That strawberry ice you make with vm juices sounds right up my ally :)

Just worried that the juices i want to try in the tank is 70/30 vgpg ratio and i read the ceramic coils dont handle them well which is a big negative as most of my fave juices are on that ratio

Thanks @Schnappie
I am happy if it helps you

I cannot advise you on the Target/ceramic coil with higher VG juices
Perhaps @Rob Fisher or someone else can advise
I have only tried it with my "Strawberry Ice" blend which I estimate is about 45%VG and 55%PG. Its wicking fine with that once the initial priming is done ;-)

By the way, the Strawberry Ice blend is so easy
I use a 10ml bottle to make it
I put in about 6ml of VM Strawberry 18mg
Then 23 drops of VM Menthol concentrate (I estimate thats prob around 10%)
Then the rest i put in a 50/50 PG/VG blend with zero nic

Final blend is about 11-12mg in nic strength

You can play with the number of drops of menthol. 23 is my number. 15 makes it a weaker menthol and more strawberry and its also very nice

Thanks @Schnappie
I am happy if it helps you

I have only tried it with my "Strawberry Ice" blend which I estimate is about 45%VG and 55%PG. Its wicking fine with that once the initial priming is done ;-)

By the way, the Strawberry Ice blend is so easy
I use a 10ml bottle to make it
I put in about 6ml of VM Strawberry 18mg
Then 23 drops of VM Menthol concentrate (I estimate thats prob around 10%)
Then the rest i put in a 50/50 PG/VG blend with zero nic

Final blend is about 11-12mg in nic strength

You can play with the number of drops of menthol. 23 is my number. 15 makes it a weaker menthol and more strawberry and its also very nice
I will def be ordering vm strawberry and some menthol concentrate. Have a lot of vg and pg and nic around. Thanks a lot for sharing

In my second Target Tank I have Foggs Milky Way which is a 70/30 blend and a darker juice than the XXX in Tanks number 1. I can say that the ceramic coils have no problem keeping up with either juices and I purposely gave them a full go yesterday at the Paulie Juice Launch... so much so that I had to buy another bottle of Milky Way during the launch because the tank emptied pretty fast with everyone tasting and testing the tanks. My gut tells me the coil won't last as many refills as the one with the XXX which is almost clear juice but that's just a guess... it may well be just fine.

I'm on refill number 54 on the XXX Tank and the coil is showing no sign of being needed to be changed... that is quite unbelievable! Tanks 2 with the Milky Way is on refill number 10 and still the flavour is awesome... every time I gave the tanks to someone at the meet to try it was always the same result... Wow... and I have never tasted Milky Way like that... and that includes @BigGuy who's juice it is! I also chatted to @Oupa from Vapour Mountain yesterday evening (well he beeped me) and he wanted to thank me for the recommendation to get a Target Tank to really taste his juices and that he should start with XXX... he was also amazed.

Now before I start to look like a ceramic fanatic there are some cons... priming is a pain and the coils really need some attention the first time you use them as well as plenty of non firing sucks... or you could use the syringe under pressure method which I find even more of a pain and messy!

And I guess the biggest con of all is that the coils go through juice at a rate of knots and you can't fill the tank and go out... you need to take a juice bottle with you.

But if you are after pure flavour then there isn't a tank to touch the Target Tank right now...

PS This coming week should see the arrival of the Atom Ceramic Coils for the Sub Tank... no more on this until I have loaded one up and tried it. Also there are a couple of other tanks that will hit our shores real soon that have ceramic based coils...

Bottom line is 2016 is the year of ceramic coils no question!

In my second Target Tank I have Foggs Milky Way which is a 70/30 blend and a darker juice than the XXX in Tanks number 1. I can say that the ceramic coils have no problem keeping up with either juices and I purposely gave them a full go yesterday at the Paulie Juice Launch... so much so that I had to buy another bottle of Milky Way during the launch because the tank emptied pretty fast with everyone tasting and testing the tanks. My gut tells me the coil won't last as many refills as the one with the XXX which is almost clear juice but that's just a guess... it may well be just fine.

I'm on refill number 54 on the XXX Tank and the coil is showing no sign of being needed to be changed... that is quite unbelievable! Tanks 2 with the Milky Way is on refill number 10 and still the flavour is awesome... every time I gave the tanks to someone at the meet to try it was always the same result... Wow... and I have never tasted Milky Way like that... and that includes @BigGuy who's juice it is! I also chatted to @Oupa from Vapour Mountain yesterday evening (well he beeped me) and he wanted to thank me for the recommendation to get a Target Tank to really taste his juices and that he should start with XXX... he was also amazed.

Now before I start to look like a ceramic fanatic there are some cons... priming is a pain and the coils really need some attention the first time you use them as well as plenty of non firing sucks... or you could use the syringe under pressure method which I find even more of a pain and messy!

And I guess the biggest con of all is that the coils go through juice at a rate of knots and you can't fill the tank and go out... you need to take a juice bottle with you.

But if you are after pure flavour then there isn't a tank to touch the Target Tank right now...

PS This coming week should see the arrival of the Atom Ceramic Coils for the Sub Tank... no more on this until I have loaded one up and tried it. Also there are a couple of other tanks that will hit our shores real soon that have ceramic based coils...

Bottom line is 2016 is the year of ceramic coils no question!
Thanks this sets my mind at ease. Will def be ordering a tank :)

Okay...so the smok sold and a vendor just down the road has target tanks in stock. Already have a headache from all the drawing to prime coil.xxx in tank waiting for a few hours then gonna fire it up. 20160314_113837.jpg

Think it should be mentioned that the coils for the Target is perfect of those who prefer low wattage. I never vape above 35watts so vaping these target coils at 30watts is perfect for me. Those who prefer vaping at high watts might not like this setup.

DSC_0310 (403x640).jpg

Okay need some advice plz, left it to prime for 3 hours and intermittend drawing and getting a burnt taste as low as 22W. My mod reads it at 0.97 ohms. Should i leave it overnight and try again?

Okay need some advice plz, left it to prime for 3 hours and intermittend drawing and getting a burnt taste as low as 22W. My mod reads it at 0.97 ohms. Should i leave it overnight and try again?

Shucks @Schnappie
That's not good news
My intermittent slightly burnt taste never went away. I persevered for about 2/3 days and some drags it was fine and some it wasn't. I had to change the coil in the end and start again...
Maybe try sucking without firing with the airholes closed and then just slightly open...

Shucks @Schnappie
That's not good news
My intermittent slightly burnt taste never went away. I persevered for about 2/3 days and some drags it was fine and some it wasn't. I had to change the coil in the end and start again...
Maybe try sucking without firing with the airholes closed and then just slightly open...
Thanks, was your problem solved on the 2nd coil? I did close the airholes and open up gradually while drawing on it. Will give it a good while to prime still

Think it should be mentioned that the coils for the Target is perfect of those who prefer low wattage. I never vape above 35watts so vaping these target coils at 30watts is perfect for me. Those who prefer vaping at high watts might not like this setup.

View attachment 48126
I couldn't agree with you more @Kaizer. I was ready to give up on this tank. All I was getting at 305C (200 W; 0,2 ohm Ni) on the Cuboid were high notes - thin, soprano flavour with all the base notes missing. It is much better if I bring the watts down to 40. So, no, it's not going to be for everyone. The big hitters might like to wait until different coils come through.

Thanks, was your problem solved on the 2nd coil? I did close the airholes and open up gradually while drawing on it. Will give it a good while to prime still

Yes, the 2nd coil is vaping like a dream. No burnt taste.
But I did give it one heck of a priming.
Here is what I did
- I installed the coil and filled the tank
- I then sucked about 20 times (full lung) without firing - with the airhole wide open
- I then sucked about 10 or 15 times without firing - with the airhole half open
- I then sucked about 10 times with the airhole only fractionally open - you can hear the pitch changing - it whistles
- then I closed the airholes and sucked more. That's like sucking a golf ball through a straw. No air really goes anywhere but you just suck to create the suction
- then after I was tired I let it stand overnight upright on the mod
- next morning it worked like a champ. New coil was primed.

I highly doubt all the above is necessary but just letting you know what I did and what worked.

Yes, the 2nd coil is vaping like a dream. No burnt taste.
But I did give it one heck of a priming.
Here is what I did
- I installed the coil and filled the tank
- I then sucked about 20 times (full lung) without firing - with the airhole wide open
- I then sucked about 10 or 15 times without firing - with the airhole half open
- I then sucked about 10 times with the airhole only fractionally open - you can hear the pitch changing - it whistles
- then I closed the airholes and sucked more. That's like sucking a golf ball through a straw. No air really goes anywhere but you just suck to create the suction
- then after I was tired I let it stand overnight upright on the mod
- next morning it worked like a champ. New coil was primed.

I highly doubt all the above is necessary but just letting you know what I did and what worked.
Thanks i will follow suite would rather overdo it than give up again i have enough to keep me busy while i wait.although im anxious lol. I have noticed that with some tank kits the coil it came was is faulty like with my ijust kit. What i also noticed is my cuboid reads it at 0.97 ohms, not sure if ur mod does as well, so it will apply more voltage than what it would have on 0.9 or less to get the same wattage which it will read. So if my cuboid is innacurate i might be vaping at 2 or more watts that what it displays. But I doubt it. Lets prime the dinges out of this coil

Thanks i will follow suite would rather overdo it than give up again i have enough to keep me busy while i wait.although im anxious lol. I have noticed that with some tank kits the coil it came was is faulty like with my ijust kit. What i also noticed is my cuboid reads it at 0.97 ohms, not sure if ur mod does as well, so it will apply more voltage than what it would have on 0.9 or less to get the same wattage which it will read. So if my cuboid is innacurate i might be vaping at 2 or more watts that what it displays. But I doubt it. Lets prime the dinges out of this coil

My mod reads the kanthal coil at 1.01ohms but the vape is still enjoyable so I don't think the slight difference in resistance is anything to worry about.

When fake pulling to prime the coil, keep going until there are no more small bubbles released from the coil. Once you reach that stage, let it soak for about 20/30 minutes then you should be good to go.... Thats what I did.

My mod reads the kanthal coil at 1.01ohms but the vape is still enjoyable so I don't think the slight difference in resistance is anything to worry about.

When fake pulling to prime the coil, keep going until there are no more small bubbles released from the coil. Once you reach that stage, let it soak for about 20/30 minutes then you should be good to go.... Thats what I did.
Thanks for clearing that up @Kaizer

I have two more Target Tanks arriving tomorrow... one for juice testing of new juices and the other to test the temp sensing version! :rock:

Back