TheBadMadMan's DIY Adventures

TheBadMadMan

Dik GeVape
LV

Awards
Hello folks

So I've finally reached the point where I cannot justify buying "premium" juice for R3000 per litre.
I feel sick reading the above bit in bold out loud. :sick:

I've done some research and have decided on the following to get me going:
I've decided I'll try the "Hello World" of the DIY ejuice world too, so I got myself the following:
Lastly, I picked up some one shots that I feel I will enjoy. I am buying these on faith and am hoping for the best.
All of the above has been purchased from Blck Vapour (waiting very impatiently for my delivery :D).

I have access to gloves and will be reusing old e-juice bottles.

I'll try to use this thread to document my experience as I dive into the rabbit hole that is DIY.
:--)

As always, any advice and recommendations will always be greatly appreciated.

Goodluck mate! It's not that hard. Just a bit time consuming sometimes.

If you have a certain flavour profile, i'd suggest looking in the recipes section and order concentrates accordingly.
Looks to me like you wanna mix a strawberry fog mix? I wasn't too keen on it, but hey everyones pallet differs.
Also nothing worse than running out of juice and then having to mix something that requires a long steep. so try plan ahead...

Goodluck mate! It's not that hard. Just a bit time consuming sometimes.

If you have a certain flavour profile, i'd suggest looking in the recipes section and order concentrates accordingly.
Looks to me like you wanna mix a strawberry fog mix? I wasn't too keen on it, but hey everyones pallet differs.
Also nothing worse than running out of juice and then having to mix something that requires a long steep. so try plan ahead...

The beginner mix I'm trying is one mentioned in this video, just curious to try I suppose:

Yeah the steeping part of DIY is going to be a test of my patience for sure. The One Shots I bought have a lenthy steeping time but I'm sure the flavour will be worth it.

I'm handling this as a transition phase, I might still buy a bottle or two of commercial juice as I find my feet, but once my steeped juices matures I am positive I'll be vaping my DIYs 99% of the time.

Even if you don't like the New Amsterdam Vape recipe, Strawb Ripe, Bav and Graham Cracker Clear are popular flavours so you'll always be able to use them. The one-shots will be dead simple so you should enjoy those and they provide a much easier route into DIY. When I started [/old fart mode] there weren't any one-shots so you had to buy 146748 flavours before you could mix anything. Being able to whip up one-shots as you build your flavour stash is a major bonus for those starting now. In fact, you could probably skip buying concentrates altogether and just do one-shots. Although it would be a bit limiting after a while.

Hello folks

So I've finally reached the point where I cannot justify buying "premium" juice for R3000 per litre.

I've decided I'll try the "Hello World" of the DIY ejuice world too, so I got myself the following:
Lastly, I picked up some one shots that I feel I will enjoy. I am buying these on faith and am hoping for the best.
All of the above has been purchased from Blck Vapour (waiting very impatiently for my delivery :D).

I'll try to use this thread to document my experience as I dive into the rabbit hole that is DIY.

good luck, you can do it

you going to love that Rodeo

and hate steeping ...lol

Hello folks

Dam, welcome to the deepest hole in vaping, it’s as deep as you could possibly want it to be. The biggest reward of diy is to be able to vape a juice that “you”made, there is nothing nicer. Have a look in the DIY thread, there is a lot of advice and a introductory guide to diy from @RichJB which will help you to start it right.

For the rest here are some tips from that may come in handy:
  • Mix like you are a maniac and no ones watching, not really but it sounds cool to say it:cool:.
  • Enjoy it as your journey opens up another world of vaping.
  • You will usually be missing at least one concentrate to that recipy you really need or want to mix, this is called rule 1.:confused: It applies to starters and sometimes even the grand masters of diy that have 800+ concentrates.
  • Rodeo only shines after a month of steeping, but it’s worth the wait! When you get to Obsidian it’s 90 days, but again worth it.:inlove:
  • Look at the recipies in the diy thread, you will find some stunners there.
  • Ask for help before buying lots of concentrates that you will only use in one recipy, leave that for later when you can really justify it. There are some guides to this as well in there somewhere.
  • Find a couple of short steep recipies to tide you over, in the beginning you are going to sit and howl in front of your steeping cupboard.:(
  • Eventually you will make enough to ensure this never happens again. But you will also realize that there is nothing like time to make a recipy shine.
  • Enjoy the journey, this is the most important part.:D
Looking forward to reading of your exploits and the journey through taste heaven. Wishing you many happy clouds in your endeavor.

Dam, welcome to the deepest hole in vaping, it’s as deep as you could possibly want it to be. The biggest reward of diy is to be able to vape a juice that “you”made, there is nothing nicer. Have a look in the DIY thread, there is a lot of advice and a introductory guide to diy from @RichJB which will help you to start it right.

For the rest here are some tips from that may come in handy:
  • Mix like you are a maniac and no ones watching, not really but it sounds cool to say it:cool:.
  • Enjoy it as your journey opens up another world of vaping.
  • You will usually be missing at least one concentrate to that recipy you really need or want to mix, this is called rule 1.:confused: It applies to starters and sometimes even the grand masters of diy that have 800+ concentrates.
  • Rodeo only shines after a month of steeping, but it’s worth the wait! When you get to Obsidian it’s 90 days, but again worth it.:inlove:
  • Look at the recipies in the diy thread, you will find some stunners there.
  • Ask for help before buying lots of concentrates that you will only use in one recipy, leave that for later when you can really justify it. There are some guides to this as well in there somewhere.
  • Find a couple of short steep recipies to tide you over, in the beginning you are going to sit and howl in front of your steeping cupboard.:(
  • Eventually you will make enough to ensure this never happens again. But you will also realize that there is nothing like time to make a recipy shine.
  • Enjoy the journey, this is the most important part.:D
Looking forward to reading of your exploits and the journey through taste heaven. Wishing you many happy clouds in your endeavor.
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/a-diy-primer.t44442/#post-606771 - The Primer Room Fogger mentioned. Excellent read for noob and old hand alike.

Regards

Thanks for all the input and advice so far gents!

The anticipation is real! :D

View attachment 136750
Now you will also experience the expectation and adrenaline rush every time you see The Courier Guy bakkie, sometimes only to realize you haven’t ordered anything. :eek: You should have your order tomorrow, they are very good at it, as is BLCK @Richio in getting your goodies to you as fast as is courierman possible.:D

I would like to keep track of my inventory and track mixes etc.
Please recommend me a Website or an application that I could use for this purpose.

For eg: I want to input that I have 10ml of XYZ liquid. Now I decide to use 2.1ml of this in a recipe. The app must now track that I have 7.9ml of XYZ liquid remaining, etc.

I see DIY Juice Calculator being mentioned a lot, it is also in the DIY PRIMER guide @Raindance linked me to. Is this the best and does it have the ability to be synced accross devices?

BLCK is super quick with their delivery! Love it!

Good luck with the DIY bud!

Welcome @TheBadMadMan. You should've told me you were getting Rodeo. I have some left which you could've tried 1st. Not that you wont like it of course. It would have given me the chance to try the Kind Custard you have cause its on my "to get" list. Anyway send some with Muzza please ;)

Welcome @TheBadMadMan. You should've told me you were getting Rodeo. I have some left which you could've tried 1st. Not that you wont like it of course. It would have given me the chance to try the Kind Custard you have cause its on my "to get" list. Anyway send some with Muzza please ;)

Vino, seems like it's time for some memory excersises to prevent data loss :p.

We can make a plan ;)

I wonder what is in this box :cool:

Shout out to @Richio for the quick delivery. It has not even been 24H since I placed the order.

View attachment 136795

Pandora's box has been opened.

The (starter) flavour stash.
IMG_8876.jpg

Some VeeGee PeeGee action.
IMG_8879.jpg

That Nic though!
IMG_8881.jpg

uhm...the scale
IMG_8885.jpg

And lastly, I discovered these extra items in the box. Now I'm not sure if this was intentional or unintentional by BLCK Vapour. If the former, I thank you @Richio. If the latter, you welcome to try and pry it from my claws. :DEVILMAN: These freebie concentrates are of various quantity (none are full 10ml) and will be interesting to play with. The empty 60ml is going to be very usefull and the oneshot measure card is a nifty little companion to have when the scale's batteries are kaput.
IMG_8887.jpg

Now to start playing Heisenberg. :tejeqteje:

IMG_8876.jpg

IMG_8879.jpg

That Nic though!
IMG_8881.jpg

uhm...the scale
IMG_8885.jpg

And lastly, I discovered these extra items in the box. Now I'm not sure if this was intentional or unintentional by BLCK Vapour. If the former, I thank you @Richio. If the latter, you welcome to try and pry it from my claws. :DEVILMAN: These freebie concentrates are of various quantity (none are full 10ml) and will be interesting to play with. The empty 60ml is going to be very usefull and the oneshot measure card is a nifty little companion to have when the scale's batteries are kaput.
IMG_8887.jpg

@Richio loves to add something extra to surprise you, and it’s always welcome. Enjoy your mixing, and can’t wait to see if you can withstand temptation while they are steeping.:D

IMG_8876.jpg

IMG_8879.jpg

That Nic though!
IMG_8881.jpg

uhm...the scale
IMG_8885.jpg

IMG_8887.jpg

nice photos !

IMG_8876.jpg

IMG_8879.jpg

That Nic though!
IMG_8881.jpg

uhm...the scale
IMG_8885.jpg

IMG_8887.jpg

You will have to let me know how the Kings Custard turns out. Love a custard and haven’t been able to find a great diy one, so keeping my fingers crossed that it is going to be a positive yes from you.

Congrats @TheBadMadMan !
All the best for your diy journey

May the efforts be fruitful and the potions magical!

Let us know how it goes

I presume you are now mixing like a mad scientist...

Did my first 3 batches of DIY last night. Some Breaking Bad stuff! :p

I made 3 bottles of juice last night.
1) 30ML Stawberry Cream 70/30 1.5mg
2) 60ML Hardshots Rodeo 60/40 1.5mg
3) 50ML Kings Custard 70/30 1.5mg

Tested each after mixing and will taste in a couple of days again.

I was realy suprised at the dark colour of Rodeo after it had been mixed at the recommended percentage.

Rodeo and Kings Custard def needs to steep to balance flavours. I can tell time will be very good to these two flavours.
Strawberry cream is a nice entry-level mix overall, the cream didnt really come through, again steeping is needed for the cream to come through.

Nice thick vapour all round too.

All-in-all it was a great learning experience!

Did my first 3 batches of DIY last night. Some Breaking Bad stuff! :p

I made 3 bottles of juice last night.
1) 30ML Stawberry Cream 70/30 1.5mg
2) 60ML Hardshots Rodeo 60/40 1.5mg
3) 50ML Kings Custard 70/30 1.5mg

Tested each after mixing and will taste in a couple of days again.

I was realy suprised at the dark colour of Rodeo after it had been mixed at the recommended percentage.

Rodeo and Kings Custard def needs to steep to balance flavours. I can tell time will be very good to these two flavours.
Strawberry cream is a nice entry-level mix overall, the cream didnt really come through, again steeping is needed for the cream to come through.

Nice thick vapour all round too.

All-in-all it was a great learning experience!
Excellent meneer, Rodeo really comes to its full potential at 30 days plus, based on the composition of the other two with custard and cream, at least 14 to 21 days, but the longer the better! Now to see if you can withstand the temptation to only test after 7days again. :D

I would immediately mix up more of the same mixes so that they're steeping while you're vaping this batch. You might not have enough bottles and that's a tricky one. You can either buy more now and then you end up with too many, or you can allow your bottle collection to grow over time as you convert old nic and concentrate and commercial juice bottles into mixing/testing bottles.

I have lots of bottles now, so many that if I had to mix in every one, I'd have about two years supply of juice. I once bought 30x10ml dropper bottles for testing, which was a waste because I have soooooo many old 10ml concentrate bottles now from using up flavours. Give them a looooong soak in salty hot water to remove residual aroma and they're fine for single-flavour testing. Also, even though I don't buy commercial juice, I somehow get a lot of it. Competitions, giveaways, vape meets, people sending me juice to test, etc. So, if you're patient, you can DIY without ever needing to buy bottles. Inevitably as a DIYer, you end up with tons of them.

Back