Flavour and throat hit seeker
Staff member
Administrator
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
Hi all

It has intrigued me for some time what the difference is between coils of slightly different thickness. So for the past few weeks I have been testing different coils on my REO/RM2s and thought I would share my findings.

The two thicknesses I have tried are the 1.5mm and 1.8mm diameter. (micro and mini-coils, strictly speaking) I have tried these two coil IDs quite extensively on two of my REO/RM2s. One is at 0.9 ohms the other at 1.4 ohms. For the 1.5mm ID coils I use 28g Kanthal as I have been for some time. For the 1.8mm ID coils, I used 26g so I could get 1 more wrap and come out at exactly the same resistance. I wick both with cotton - the 1.8mm coils naturally have more cotton because they are thicker.

I was quite surprised by my findings

Bottom line is I prefer the 1.5mm ID 28g coils for their throat hit, quicker response and "sharper" feeling vape.

The thicker 1.8mm coils provide really good rich dense flavour, but despite me raising their height - I just can't get the same throat hit. It's not bad but not quite like the 1.5mm 28g coils. Another negative is they take a bit longer to warm up (especially on the 1.4 ohmer) and they display a kind of "afterburner" effect - whereby after you let go the fire button, there is still some vaporising taking place as the coil cools down.

Perhaps my experience with the 1.8mm ID should have been tested with the same Kanthal (28g) and maybe what I am observing has nothing to do with the "thickness" of the coil but rather the 26g Kanthal - but I thought I could get an extra wrap in and come out at the same resistance.

I think flavour lovers who like deep dense rich flavour will enjoy these "thicker" 1.8mm ID coils with 26g Kanthal.

Hope it benefits you

Just out of curiosity how many wraps did u do?

I forgot to add to the above to just put it in a bit more perspective.

Let's say I am getting the following on the thinner 1.5mm ID coils:
Flavour - 8/10
Throat hit - 9/10
"Sharpness" - 9/10

Then on the thicker 1.8mm ID 26g coils I am getting the following:
Flavour - 10/10 (denser and richer)
Throat hit - 6/10 (less throat hit)
"Sharpness" - 6/10 (less sharp - more rounded - which arguably is better - but I think it makes for less throat hit)

Having also experimented, initially I thought the larger ID coils @2mm were performing better, but found the TH and flavour would diminish after some time. New batteries made no difference. I tried moving the coil up, down, less wick, more wick. I think it also depends on the juice. My current coil at 1.5ID, 26g, 7/8 wraps @0.71 ohms seems to be hitting all the right notes. She fires up really fast, which I think may be the key.

Oh, and the right wick length is, I believe just as vital, if not more so for the reomizer. Don't want the coil having to slow cook a ton of juice.

Just out of curiosity how many wraps did u do?
On the 1.4 ohmer, 9 wraps for the thinner 1.5mm 28g coil and 10 wraps for the thicker 1.8mm 26g coil

On the 0.9 ohmer, 6 wraps for the thinner 1.5mm 28g coil and 7 wraps for the thicker 1.8mm 26g coil

Over and out guys - will chat more tomorrow

Yeah, the afterburner effect and the slower to warm up is probably a lot more to do with the thickness of the wire (and the Ohms/meter) than the diameter of the coil.

Not sure what influence the thickness of the wire would have on the vape quality.

Would be interesting to see what happens if you have a 1.5 and a 1.8 ID coils at the same Ohms and both on 28G. But then you run into the problem of coverage differences as the 1.8 ID will have less wraps.

Having also experimented, initially I thought the larger ID coils @2mm were performing better, but found the TH and flavour would diminish after some time. New batteries made no difference. I tried moving the coil up, down, less wick, more wick. I think it also depends on the juice. My current coil at 1.5ID, 26g, 7/8 wraps @0.71 ohms seems to be hitting all the right notes. She fires up really fast, which I think may be the key.

Oh, and the right wick length is, I believe just as vital, if not more so for the reomizer. Don't want the coil having to slow cook a ton of juice.
Yes, I found below 0.65 ohms it badly affects any juice and the afterburner effect is too much. From around 0.65 to 0.75 ohms on 27 g is about right for me. On the Cyclone with AFC and dual coils find I can go much lower, been on 0.45 ohms for about 40 days (ceramic wick) now.

Last edited:
Yeah, the afterburner effect and the slower to warm up is probably a lot more to do with the thickness of the wire (and the Ohms/meter) than the diameter of the coil.

Not sure what influence the thickness of the wire would have on the vape quality.

Would be interesting to see what happens if you have a 1.5 and a 1.8 ID coils at the same Ohms and both on 28G. But then you run into the problem of coverage differences as the 1.8 ID will have less wraps.

I believe a good coil is key. This technique is awesome. I made a few for a friends Aqua yesterday like this.

Yes, I found below 6.5 ohms it badly affects any juice and the afterburner effect is too much. From around 6.5 to 7.5 ohms on 27 g is about right for me. On the Cyclone with AFC and dual coils find I can go much lower, been on 4.5 ohms for about 40 days (ceramic wick) now.

I think you mean 0.65Ω .... 0.75Ω ..... 0.45Ω Andre?

My sweetspot is ±0.6 to 0.7Ω for tobacco flavours and ±0.9 to 1.0Ω for non tobacco flavours, only using 28G Kathal. Haven't had any luck with 26G Kanthal doesn't matter which way I tried.

I think you mean 0.65Ω .... 0.75Ω ..... 0.45Ω Andre?

My sweetspot is ±0.6 to 0.7Ω for tobacco flavours and ±0.9 to 1.0Ω for non tobacco flavours, only using 28G Kathal. Haven't had any luck with 26G Kanthal doesn't matter which way I tried.
Thanks, edited post. Yes, also tried 26 g, just too slow for me. Were using the 28g for a long time untill I tried 27 g - gives me just that extra coverage. But, as opposed to @Alex's 1.5 mm I use a 1.6 mm mandrel - for the ceramic wick to fit nicely.

I believe a good coil is key. This technique is awesome. I made a few for a friends Aqua yesterday like this.

SuperX really amazes me everytime with his creativity, and that for a self acknowled non technocrat!

Most of the REOnauts are vape veterans and was wondering something about the coils. I have seen nano,micro, macro,jumbo and other sizes of coils but cannot understand what difference they all make?
I know there are differences in OHMS etc but flavour/TH?? I'm totally bamboozled and would appreciate your honest feedback :D
Hmmm hope this is not one of those... How long is a China man's name, questions ? Would you bother with the bigger coils or keep to nano or micro coils?

Last edited:
This subject fascinates the engineer in me hugely. Personally I don't like to think in terms of ohms, as wattage is a better measure for this sort of thing. There are quite a few factors at play, specifically I see it as

Mass (Startup temp, thermal capacity)
Surface area of coil (amount of wick to be heated)
Cross sectional surface area of wick or coil diameter (related to effectivity of wick)
Temperature (I'd assume a 4 wrap 32g coil gets hotter than a 6 wrap 24g for the same wattage)
Wicking speed and wick density inside the coil (Faster wicks would work more effectively with fewer wrap coils)

Now granted, I don't have any experience with making coils etc and this is just my view. I've been trying to find some more info on this, but I plan to investigate it asap :)

I'm watching and absorbing this thread with great interest! Thanks Hi Ho!

This subject fascinates the engineer in me hugely. Personally I don't like to think in terms of ohms, as wattage is a better measure for this sort of thing. There are quite a few factors at play, specifically I see it as

Mass (Startup temp, thermal capacity)
Surface area of coil (amount of wick to be heated)
Cross sectional surface area of wick or coil diameter (related to effectivity of wick)
Temperature (I'd assume a 4 wrap 32g coil gets hotter than a 6 wrap 24g for the same wattage)
Wicking speed and wick density inside the coil (Faster wicks would work more effectively with fewer wrap coils)

Now granted, I don't have any experience with making coils etc and this is just my view. I've been trying to find some more info on this, but I plan to investigate it asap :)
Did give you the link to the blogs of that guy on ECF. You talk the same language - way over the heads of us non-engineer peeps.

I scanned over one of them on my cell at the physio - completely forgot about them after that. Thanks for the reminder!!!

I actually don't see much stuff on the subject of coil variables etc.. Some interesting stuff, but nothing like what I have in mind? This is the one of most interest to me

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...minimalists-tensioned-contact-micro-coil.html

Am I missing any? I see 7 blog posts

Last edited:
Here's an excellent vid on explaining the different guage wires, what to use when, and why.Hell I'm learning much here.

Most of the REOnauts are vape veterans and was wondering something about the coils. I have seen nano,micro, macro,jumbo and other sizes of coils but cannot understand what difference they all make?
I know there are differences in OHMS etc but flavour/TH?? I'm totally bamboozled and would appreciate your honest feedback :D
Hmmm hope this is not one of those... How long is a China man's name, questions ? Would you bother with the bigger coils or keep to nano or micro coils?
The guys in the know are adamant that micro coils are the most efficient, but there will always be those that differ. Difference names are related to the inner diameter of the coils. See table below.
You can vary your throat hit and flavour by the position of your coil. The nearer the posts and the higher the coil the more the throat hit. The nearer to the edge of the deck and the lower to the deck the more flavour.
Hope this helps.
8Rkab3u.jpg

Last edited:
Holy crap that's an interesting point as well.. Andre have you perhaps tried different drip tips and their effect on throat hits? By the logic of "varying distance" to mouth, a longer tip should have less of a hit? Wonder if it's got to do with vapour heat or possibly even oxidation - gonna have to ask around about this one!!!

I scanned over one of them on my cell at the physio - completely forgot about them after that. Thanks for the reminder!!!

I actually don't see much stuff on the subject of coil variables etc.. Some interesting stuff, but nothing like what I have in mind? This is the one of most interest to me

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...minimalists-tensioned-contact-micro-coil.html

Am I missing any? I see 7 blog posts
Yes, that is the one. I tried to make sense, but he refers to other threads and uses language.... In the end he says, if I understand correctly, that micro coils (ID around 1.5 mm) are the best if properly tensioned when wrapped and that ceramic wicking is the best.
The rest of the stuff you mention....sorry, my knowledge is limited to practical experience.

Thanks guys for all the insightful comments and the video posts. Will go through when i have more time.
Another thing i noticed with my thicker 1.8mm 26g coils is they tend to "rumble", "pop' and spit more. On occasion I have gotten a tiny bit of juice spitting up the drip tip into my mouth. Not very pleasant.

I am starting to think my experiences with the thicker coils has more to do with the 26g wire than the coil iD. Perhaps my next round of testing shall be using 28g as well for the thicker coils, but then they will likely have one less wrap to hit the same resistance. Or maybe I should do the same wraps and they will have slightly higher resistance.

Gosh, this could take some time..... Lol.....

Just remember if you aiming for the same resistance, one more wrap will be just that tiny bit more surface area as well. Don't know if it will make a huge difference to any of the scores.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Interesting thread!

Based on this, I'm thinking I need to go for 28g for when the reo arrives.

I have a lot of learning to do considering the fact that I've never wrapped a coil before!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Back