Why is the Goon so popular?

aktorsyl

Elite Vaper
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
As the subject line says.. why is the Goon considered the father-of-all-RDA's? I'm looking at getting my next RDA (currently have the Sapor V2) and most people recommend I get the Goon. I'd like to know why - is it more flavourful?

Also, what's the difference between these two:

https://www.sirvape.co.za/products/1-re-stock-awesome-price-authentic-goon-lp-by-528-customs

and

https://www.sirvape.co.za/products/copy-of-all-colours-authentic-goon-24mm-rda-1

And which one is considered better?

Dude, in the past, ive had CLT V3, Velocity V2, Royal Hunter, Mad Dog, Medusa etc etc.. and then i got myself a copper Smoant Charon and decided to see what this hype on the Goon is and got a copper goon 24mm... and meh... im hoping someone tells me what the hype was all about... dont get me wrong, its a nice rda.. but does it justify spending all that money? an authentic mad dog is under R400... and the difference in price compared to what the rda does??? maybe the fact that the goon is so customizable maybe? i dunno man.

I find that the og goon 24 is great for your massive flavor builds, and with that I get pretty consistent flavour out of it. Of course this is all just person experience. With the price tag also comes top quality material and machining, it's built like a high end atomizer should be.

I find that the og goon 24 is great for your massive flavor builds, and with that I get pretty consistent flavour out of it. Of course this is all just person experience. With the price tag also comes top quality material and machining, it's built like a high end atomizer should be.

fair enough, the build quality is tops... but i dont know if there is enough vapers that hold onto their gear that long to warrant spending so much money just because the build quality is that of HIGH END gear... yes there are some vapers that only buys H.E and collects... but for the most part, us mortals buy and sell in order to keep up with the new tech.. the only upside i see, for now, is that a Goon will keep most of its value if u look after it.. so u can re sell and still get quite a bit back... (id never pay R1000 for a rda)

always remember, dont go for the hype, get something u want regardless of what everyone says.. yes obviously watch reviews and see what people say but dont JUST GO AFTER THE HYPE... everything vaping, as everyone knows, is subjective...

I really don't want this to turn into a HE vs LE thing again though :p

I just have simple requirements.. it needs to have a solid topcap (not the 3 separate damn parts that the Sapor has, the whole thing disassembles when you try pull the top cap off). It needs to have excellent flavour. It needs to be 24mm or 25mm. And it needs to be easy to build on.

It doesn't have to be a goon. I just don't know what to look for, being new to RDA's (but I did look at the other "help me choose an RDA" threads).

fair enough, the build quality is tops... but i dont know if there is enough vapers that hold onto their gear that long to warrant spending so much money just because the build quality is that of HIGH END gear... yes there are some vapers that only buys H.E and collects... but for the most part, us mortals buy and sell in order to keep up with the new tech.. the only upside i see, for now, is that a Goon will keep most of its value if u look after it.. so u can re sell and still get quite a bit back... (id never pay R1000 for a rda)

always remember, dont go for the hype, get something u want regardless of what everyone says.. yes obviously watch reviews and see what people say but dont JUST GO AFTER THE HYPE... everything vaping, as everyone knows, is subjective...
I was lucky enough to only get into RDAs a while after the goon had been released along withe the fact that a lot of people I knew were running goons as part of their setups, so I had the chance to try it out multiple times.
I'd say that you shouldn't succumb to hype and do a ton of research before buying any piece of gear.

L
I really don't want this to turn into a HE vs LE thing again though :p

I just have simple requirements.. it needs to have a solid topcap (not the 3 separate damn parts that the Sapor has, the whole thing disassembles when you try pull the top cap off). It needs to have excellent flavour. It needs to be 24mm or 25mm. And it needs to be easy to build on.

It doesn't have to be a goon. I just don't know what to look for, being new to RDA's (but I did look at the other "help me choose an RDA" threads).
Check out the druga by augvape.. it's a solid little rda at half the price of most HE drippers

Those are quite simple requirements to meet. To take them one by one:

1) Solid top cap. I think most current drippers would satisfy this requirement and it should be obvious from reviews if there is a finicky system that consists of multiple bits.
2) Flavour. This will subjective unfortunately. @KZOR didn't rate the Goon as having the best flavour, others will prefer the Goon to everything else. I think most drippers today will give you great flavour if you are willing to find the build/coil position sweet-spot for them. The Hadaly is renowned for great flavour but, again, some have found it disappointing.
3) 24 or 25mm. Again, I'd think most drippers today would satisfy this.
4) Easy to build on. What type of coils are you looking to use? Simple contact or spaced coils, or staple framed staggered Mohican caterpillar Juggernaut coils which require enormous post holes to fit the thicker wire?

There are five very important criteria which you've left out:

5) Airflow. Do you want bottom, side, top, some combo of the above?
6) Single or dual coil. This is critical. If you want to use single coils, many drippers today don't qualify.
7) Squonk pin or not? Again, many drippers don't qualify.
8) Juice well size. This might be a minor criterion but some people want a biiiiiig well that reduces the need to drip frequently.
9) Drip tip. Some people insist on a 510, others want a chuff cap.

For me, the Geekvape Peerless would be a good choice. It is 24mm, it will squonk if you want, has side airflow (read: no leaking from bottom airflow), can accommodate a huge range of wires, is easy to build on, has a big juice well, can accommodate single coils, has both an acrylic chuff cap and a 510, is cheap and, further, is on sale at Vape King for R350. Unless you absolutely must have a Goon, CSMNT, Hadaly or some other RDA for a very specific reason, I'd say the Peerless is a very good "all-rounder".

I personally find the machining and material quality of the goon to be really good. Flavour/performance wise, I am willing to admit its a 50/50 between the atty and my mind telling me I dropped R900 on it, but it does give me a much richer experience over my other RDAs.

I think the original hype was the deck design, but obviously that's been copied repeatedly by now and pretty much a moot factor at this point.

Those are quite simple requirements to meet. To take them one by one:

1) Solid top cap. I think most current drippers would satisfy this requirement and it should be obvious from reviews if there is a finicky system that consists of multiple bits.
2) Flavour. This will subjective unfortunately. @KZOR didn't rate the Goon as having the best flavour, others will prefer the Goon to everything else. I think most drippers today will give you great flavour if you are willing to find the build/coil position sweet-spot for them. The Hadaly is renowned for great flavour but, again, some have found it disappointing.
3) 24 or 25mm. Again, I'd think most drippers today would satisfy this.
4) Easy to build on. What type of coils are you looking to use? Simple contact or spaced coils, or staple framed staggered Mohican caterpillar Juggernaut coils which require enormous post holes to fit the thicker wire?

There are five very important criteria which you've left out:

5) Airflow. Do you want bottom, side, top, some combo of the above?
6) Single or dual coil. This is critical. If you want to use single coils, many drippers today don't qualify.
7) Squonk pin or not? Again, many drippers don't qualify.
8) Juice well size. This might be a minor criterion but some people want a biiiiiig well that reduces the need to drip frequently.
9) Drip tip. Some people insist on a 510, others want a chuff cap.

For me, the Geekvape Peerless would be a good choice. It is 24mm, it will squonk if you want, has side airflow (read: no leaking from bottom airflow), can accommodate a huge range of wires, is easy to build on, has a big juice well, can accommodate single coils, has both an acrylic chuff cap and a 510, is cheap and, further, is on sale at Vape King for R350. Unless you absolutely must have a Goon, CSMNT, Hadaly or some other RDA for a very specific reason, I'd say the Peerless is a very good "all-rounder".
Thanks @RichJB - you're right, I omitted some info:

5) I don't really mind. I know there are caveats. Bottom airflow is reputably better for flavour but worse for leaking. Top airflow is sortof the other way round, and middle airflow is in between (obviously these are gross generalisations). I don't know how big an effect on flavour it really has though, so that's why I didn't really state an absolute preference here.

6) Dual coil I suppose - it's what I use currently. Again I'm really not sure how flavour would be affected by single vs dual coil, so I'm happy to convert to single coil or vice versa.

7) No squonking :)

8) Doesn't really matter either, my RDA's are on my desk mods and don't go on the road with me.

9) I've used both and don't really mind either way. I'm not an absolute fan of super-wide-bore tips, but I don't really mind them.

I've heard many many good things about the Peerless, so that might very well be the one.

I've heard about it - isn't the clamp system a problem though?
I got a druga on my Vgod mech and its well put together the clamps are subjective some hate them, some people like me love them. as theirs no fuss with allen keys.. and just my 2 cents there allot of rda's out there that compete with the goon at half the price. EG:ICON, DRUGA, MAD DOG ,MEDUSA, PEERLIS and theres more

I got a druga on my Vgod mech and its well put together the clamps are subjective some hate them, some people like me love them. as theirs no fuss with allen keys.. and just my 2 cents there allot of rda's out there that compete with the goon at half the price. EG:ICON, DRUGA, MAD DOG ,MEDUSA, PEERLIS and theres more
I find that the clamps become problematic when using them with smaller wire builds.. they don't bite down on the wire, so when I'm getting them to fire simultaneously the wire will slip out from the clamp

I find that the clamps become problematic when using them with smaller wire builds.. they don't bite down on the wire, so when I'm getting them to fire simultaneously the wire will slip out from the clamp
im using 20g flatwire. so i cant advise. but once u put build in,fire coils up once or twice the clamp down again to make sure they tight.

Why I love goon??
Well, first, the build deck. You can throw anything at that deck and it'll eat it and have space for seconds.
2nd, the airflow, smooth and unmatched in my opinion.
Couple that huge airflow with the flavour you get, and how it produces it's flavour, and you have a winner in my book.
The only other RDA I've come across that matches the goon in every way is the "Icon"
Wow that thing surprised me! I'll be getting one at VapeCon!
Just my humble opinion

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

One question about the Peerless: can you drip through the driptip? Looking at the build deck, it looks as if the juice will strike the posts and go wherever it pleases after that..

I purchased my first 2 RDA‘s this past weekend. 1 being a Goon 24 and the other a Govad. I kind of prefer the Govad to be honest. Haven't played around with either of them enough to have a solid decision between the 2, although the price of the Goon wants me to believe it's the better of the 2.

One question about the Peerless: can you drip through the driptip? Looking at the build deck, it looks as if the juice will strike the posts and go wherever it pleases after that..

If you drip directly down the middle, it should coat the coils and cotton enough for a vape... but dont over drip...

but i agree with everyone really... u will be very very unlucky to choose a rda that is proper shit.. they all do basically the same thing with slight differences here and there... kinda like the different flavas in linux.. basically the same, just feels different.. in a time where rda's are now the fashion and rta's has taken a back seat, if you buy an rda today, i guarantee you, by month end you will want what ever the latest one is... lol

As the subject line says.. why is the Goon considered the father-of-all-RDA's? I'm looking at getting my next RDA (currently have the Sapor V2) and most people recommend I get the Goon. I'd like to know why - is it more flavourful?

Also, what's the difference between these two:

https://www.sirvape.co.za/products/1-re-stock-awesome-price-authentic-goon-lp-by-528-customs

and

https://www.sirvape.co.za/products/copy-of-all-colours-authentic-goon-24mm-rda-1

And which one is considered better?
I am very happy with the mad dog, it has a deep well, the deck is so simple, but you can also play around with your coiling, comes with 3 different sets of grub screws, you get an awesome heat sink washer type that sits between the rda and mod, fits all goon drip tips, and the taste is awesome as a rda should be, goes for between 450 and 500, also different colours to choose from. U won't regret it

The Goon became popular, in my opinion because:

One of the first RDA's to have a unique clamp system with decent Phillips screws.

Hence the ability to build a wide variety of different coils.

The Goon is built so well. It is really a quality RDA. The airflow options are magnificent and they look really hardcore and cool on a Mech.

The Goon was hyped up a bit, I will admit. And I did fall for the hype in that I had to have what all serious vapers were getting. But I have three 24mm and two 22mm. These are by far the best RDA's in my collection in terms of performance and durability.

I also have 2 Sapor 25mm. Initially I liked them, but now I don't anymore. It's got a complicated airflow system, it's very hard to dismantle completely as the o ring fittings are too tight. Having said that, it has a super big space to fit coils and it performs effectively giving big clouds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Goon 24 is a great RDA, as people have stated before the clamp system at the time was amazing! Certainly a step in the right direction with RDA's.
The build quality is great but so is that of many other RDA's.

I feel as if there are lots of other viable options out there now which cost less, to be fair I have not tried but them however I have opted for some. I have a Desire Rabies on its way to me, @Idiot wants to get himself a Peerless. I was looking at and considering the Icon and Druga as well as both seem superb. I feel as if these drippers could offer a very similar vape experience, if not even a better one.

I get a bit annoyed with the clamps on the goon at times and feel as if the clamp system could be improved a bit and feel as if some other RDA's have done so.

This is how I'm currently using mine (Peerless). I just "gooi" 16 drops in there and I'm good to go. The deck has a channel for juice to go all over the show.
The first couple of times I used it I pulled of the cap and dripped very carefully on either side. As I got more comfortable with the thing (my first RDA!) I took the cap off and dripped directly in the middle of the deck (as you would when dripping through the tip). I observed that this resulted in both wicks being nicely saturated. I played around with less and more drops until I ended up with 16 for the amount of wick that I currently have.
Now I just drop the juice in there without taking off the cap, give it a second to soak and I've been having a wonderful experience with it.

JUST A NOTE!!! There is a new Special Edition inbound (not sure when we will see it here though):
https://www.geekvape.com/project/peerless-rda-special-edition/

My i ly Issue with the peerless is when you stick the coils into the posts, they don't stay in place, the leads keep jumping to the middle holes.
It needs a small Lip like the Icon has to keep that outside leg where it is

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

I only have experience with one Goon, a Goon LP that was bought along with a CSMNT back in February. Of the two the CSMNT easily outclasses the GLP for my uses. But I also have a lot of other RDA's that easily outclasses both of them, and many that couldn't outclass a pile of garbage (hype is worth no more to me anymore than what I paid for it).

Build decks don't matter as much to me as the RDA's fluid dynamics. The GLP's included squonk pin was mainly why I bought it, a pro, and it works well with my VG/VG Heavy liquids. My biggest con with the GLP is the base/top cap and their o-rings. The fit is so loose that the pieces barely stay together, and condensed vapor builds/leaks out past every cap joint and the AFC constantly. So possibly a spec issue as well between the diameters of the cap pieces that rely too heavily on the o-rings to seal them. It's an issue exaggerated by my vaping style maybe... long DLH's, but my top RDA's don't have that issue (or any other cons). Thicker cross section o-rings probably would help the GLP along, but I won't bother on what is just another back up RDA/BF RDA at best.

A first picture of it. I later took the Ultem cap ring off, installed spare o-rings and went to the black ring to see it it worked better. I doesn't. BTW, I also have the one piece all Ultem top cap/chuff for it. It does work better, but I don't like the look
GoonLP1s.jpg

Back