Wicking with rayon

chamberlane

New Vaper
LV

Awards
Are there any tricks to wicking with rayon, for people who are used to cotton, besides making it slightly thicker/fuller (zero air pockets)?

I've seen lots of different techniques like trimming the tails to be half the width of the body that touches the inner coil etc etc. Is this necessary?

I roll the rayon tight when I pull it through the coil and once it's in I trim it slightly longer than the base of the deck.

I then juice it up and using a bit of wire I comb the tails . Once I have it neat I trim off the fluffy bits at the end

Will post a pic tonight

I roll the rayon tight when I pull it through the coil and once it's in I trim it slightly longer than the base of the deck.

I then juice it up and using a bit of wire I comb the tails . Once I have it neat I trim off the fluffy bits at the end

Will post a pic tonight
Aha, thank you. So by the sound of it you yourself don't trim the width of the wick tail but just the length of it, like normal.

So I gave it a try and I'm impressed. Quite crisp in terms of taste/feel.

I thought rayon was more resistant to scorching than cotton but not in my experience:

1.png 2.png 3.png

@shaunnadan any ideas?

Looking at those pics I'm thinking perhaps it's not the wicking but the coil. Heating up too fast and burning the wick.

What resistance is that coil what gauge wire are you using ?

28g 2mm 1.1Ω - so with a heat capacity of 16.25mJ/K (thanks Steam Engine) it's pretty fast ramp up.

But still, that much scorching? Nah. Wick was always wet, no chain vaping. Oh well let's see if readyxwick will save the day.

I normally use 27g or 26g but not on my RM2/Reo Mini.

EDIT actually this one is 1.0Ω so probably too hot

Last edited:
28g 2mm 1.1Ω - so with a heat capacity of 16.25mJ/K (thanks Steam Engine) it's pretty fast ramp up.

But still, that much scorching? Nah. Wick was always wet, no chain vaping. Oh well let's see if readyxwick will save the day.

I normally use 27g or 26g but not on my RM2/Reo Mini.
The wick is wet but with the coil getting so hot it's just frying the cotton before juice flows from the tails to the Centre.

Perhaps try a slightly bigger id 2.5

I'm busy recreating your scenario with diff wick types

Stand by :)

I'm busy recreating your scenario with diff wick types

Stand by :)

TEST COMPLETE !
1ohm coil - 28g wire with a 2mm id

Fired on a mech with a full 18500 battery on a mtl dripper (hornet) image.jpeg

Each wick was fired a total of 30 times with a Redrip every 5 puffs

The 1st wick is rayon
The 2nd wick is jap cotton (top layers removed before wicking)
The 3rd wick is cotton bacon v2

TEST COMPLETE !

Fired on a mech with a full 18500 battery on a mtl dripper (hornet) View attachment 45620

The 1st wick is rayon
Ahh..you really didn't need to do that! Thanks though :) for science right.

So much for rayon's scorch resistance. I'm going to try some different builds.

Honestly rayon just needs to die already. It scorches because it does not absorb like cotton rather it works in a capilary fashion which is pretty useless on the new hardware.
You are burning off the juice before it wicks back opposed to cotton which absorbtion and capilary action.

After a year break I bought some rayon this week and after vaping it remember how much I actually hate it.

I don't need help with build ideas I need confirmation that rayon isn't the bees knees which I think I've already got :p

im curious... could you perhaps try a build and wicking method?

dont have my rm2 here to test it out but i think it could help you.

basically do a vertical build in the rm2. then the bottom of your wick, fan it out and comb it thin on the deck. juice should flow quickly up to the coil

Attachments

• sketch_56bcd728567f8.png
    sketch_56bcd728567f8.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 13
I don't need help with build ideas I need confirmation that rayon isn't the bees knees which I think I've already got :p

I recommend a 2.5mm ID for the coil in the RM2, with a 2mm airhole - you'll get a good restrictive lung hit. Rayon or Cotton pads(Scottish Roll) work equally well but I find it quicker to rewick with rayon. I wick it really tight, and keep the ends short. Great for menthol fruity type stuff.
Firefox_Screenshot_2016-02-11T18-57-26.337Z.png

TEST COMPLETE !

Fired on a mech with a full 18500 battery on a mtl dripper (hornet) View attachment 45620

The 1st wick is rayon

Your research inspire me to break my habit of using rayon and try out vapers choice cotton I had lying around.

I've been using rayon only for the past year, in tanks and drippers.
Lately though in my 22mm BF's I've been getting lots of spit back and burnt rayon after 5ml's of juice since using 316SSL.

After switching to vapers choice cotton tonight, low and behold, an awesome and flavorful Vape again.
Needless to say, all mods were immediately changed from rayon to vapers choice cotton.

Thanks @shaunnadan for your research that inspired me...

Rayon is certainly not scorch resistant... never claimed to be... but what it is for menthols and fruit vapes is nothing short of perfect. If you are going high wattage Cotton Bacon or Koh Gen Doh is a better bet.

I wick with Rayon 98% of the time and nothing has come even close (other than Fibre Freaks which is a Rayon) for perfect flavour with Tropical Ice and XXX.

I hate the taste I get from pretty much all the other wicking materials and I have tried them all... with Rayon I get PERFECT flavour from the very first Squonk.

After switching to vapers choice cotton tonight, low and behold, an awesome and flavorful Vape again.
Needless to say, all mods were immediately changed from rayon to vapers choice cotton.

Haven't tried Vapers Cotton... will get some to try. :D

Haven't tried Vapers Cotton... will get some to try. :D

I picked it up from VapeCartel a while back and never got to using it.
The first 3-4 puffs are not going to be as crisp as Rayon, so don't let that put you off. Just run it for a few ml's of juice to actually enjoy it.

The more I vape on this thing, the better the juices are tasting.

Was converted to Rayon by the masters on this forum and have not touched other cotton since , this stuff is incredible !

Back