Deez DIY Magnetic Stirrer

Sourced a harddrive, opened it up, is there a easy way to detach the magnet from the metal plate ???

Not at all
Lol, took it out, actually it was not the glue but the power of the magnet that was holding it so tight.
Only need a fan and a stirrer now.
I think I will make a stirrer with a piece of metal and covering it up with hot glue or some other piece of plastic.

Lol, took it out, actually it was not the glue but the power of the magnet that was holding it so tight.
I think I will make a stirrer with a piece of metal and covering it up with hot glue or some other piece of plastic.
I would be careful using glue , you can actually use 1 of the magnets to do the stirring. I've done that before

Maybe some heatshrink could work?

What about the stirrer ?? Any way we can DIY those ??? @Dietz @Humbolt can u please post a pic of urs?

A conventional stirrer bar is a teflon coated metal rod driven by the magnets in the stirrer. You can buy them in a lot of different lengths and sizes depending on your mixing flask. In the past we just used a row of like 4 or 5 magnets from a Buckyballs cube haha.

Might I suggest also getting yourself an Erlenmeyer flask while you're at it. It's shape is uniquely adapted to mixing fluids without risk of spilling.

A conventional stirrer bar is a teflon coated metal rod driven by the magnets in the stirrer. You can buy them in a lot of different lengths and sizes depending on your mixing flask. In the past we just used a row of like 4 or 5 magnets from a Buckyballs cube haha.

Might I suggest also getting yourself an Erlenmeyer flask while you're at it. It's shape is uniquely adapted to mixing fluids without risk of spilling.
Does it have to be a magnet or a metal rod works too ?

V2 Was GreAt sUcCesSS!!

Only changes I still want to make is to get a Bigger stirrer bar and Proper Mixing Beker with a Flat bottom. And I am still playing around with the Magnet Configurations

This is definitely waaaaay better than shaking it, I love this thing!! I think i might get a Nitecore mixer later, Will go test @Moerse Rooikat 's first and then decide.

1.jpg

2.jpg 3.jpg

Last edited:
Thats just lovely @Dietz .
You have the magnet pointing downwards, though? Or am I not understanding incorrectly?
And how is the fan mounted to the lid?

The magnets are only fixed to fan temporarily until I can find the best configuration for them.

The fan is mounted to the lid with Epoxy, the "Spacer" was made by cutting the top off a water bottle, sanding it flat and stuck it with SuperGlue to the fan. This is also now "adjustable" when using different caps.

Will remove the tape from the magnets later when I find the sweet spot.

The fan basically sits as it is here, but the Tub goes over it.
20180504_104258.jpg

The magnetic stirrer bar at black vapour is cheap but ordering just that will be expensive. Was anyone able to source it locally in cape town ??

@Dietz That is really inventive, super impressive!
If you get a chance, please post a vid of it in action.

The magnetic stirrer bar at black vapour is cheap but ordering just that will be expensive. Was anyone able to source it locally in cape town ??

Try some laboratory supply outlets. They have that stuff for like R4 a bar.

The magnets are only fixed to fan temporarily until I can find the best configuration for them.

The fan is mounted to the lid with Epoxy, the "Spacer" was made by cutting the top off a water bottle, sanding it flat and stuck it with SuperGlue to the fan. This is also now "adjustable" when using different caps.

Will remove the tape from the magnets later when I find the sweet spot.

The fan basically sits as it is here, but the Tub goes over it.
View attachment 130969
Those magnets need to be flipped 90 degrees, the faces are where the action happens not the edges.
One face is north and the reverse is south, stacking 2 does make the field stronger.
Cutting all the blades off the fan leaving just the hub will also improve performance due to less air drag.
IMO the best fan for the job will be an XBOX fan because they are rated for much higher amps than the general pc fans, 400ma compared to 150ma on a 150mm dia fan.
Bonus is that there are 2 in the same housing.
IMG_4147.JPG

Those magnets need to be flipped 90 degrees, the faces are where the action happens not the edges.
One face is north and the reverse is south, stacking 2 does make the field stronger.
Cutting all the blades off the fan leaving just the hub will also improve performance due to less air drag.
IMO the best fan for the job will be an XBOX fan because they are rated for much higher amps than the general pc fans, 400ma compared to 150ma on a 150mm dia fan.
View attachment 130983
I thought about cutting the blades but was not sure it would improve performance. Thanks

View attachment 130983
Yes these fans are much better, the one Im using is a 0.18A where those are 0.40A.

@Steyn777 I agree cutting the blades should improve, but your have to completely sand it smooth for balance.

Back