DIY Mod build Q&A.

Ok dev after having a proper look at ur wiring now and not having a sleeping tablet to confuse me u have mixed up wires. Ur source u have connected to the gate, ur drain u have wired correct;), and ur gate u have connected to ur source. So the way u are holding the mofset is correct but dont use the markings on there. I cant make out if u have wired switch in on the pic but remember the gate goes to switch and from switch to positive together with positive on 510. If u rewire correct it should still fire:)

@devdev as @SEAN P and @Blu_Marlin already mentioned, you had your connections arse-ways (Gate & Source wrong way round). The pic @eviltoy posted is correct.

I doubt that the mosfet is damaged, resolder it correct and it should function. You can also cut off the D (Drain) pin and connect wires to the Tab with M3 bolt, nut and lug, as Drain and Tab are internally connected.

Tried a gazillion times to upload a picture, but this forum software seems f@#$
will try again later

I'm shit scared to solder this thing. Lol.
So before I start. This is how I have it and how mine will be wired.
Anyone see anything wrong with my way?
111.png

I'm shit scared to solder this thing. Lol.
So before I start. This is how I have it and how mine will be wired.
Anyone see anything wrong with my way?
View attachment 28963

That is 100% correct! The 2 wires from the firing switch can be thin as they don't carry any significant current. I'l try again to post pic for @devdev while I'm on it:

devdev.jpg

@TylerD, no need to be scared :rolleyes: - the only thing that can happen is some smoke coming out of the mosfet, getting the smoke back into the mosfet, that is the scary part ;).

That is 100% correct! The 2 wires from the firing switch can be thin as they don't carry any significant current. I'l try again to post pic for @devdev while I'm on it:

Great! Thanks @johan ! Then I will continue tonight. The info on the ab and drain being the same, makes it a bit easier fitting it. Thanks for that as well.

Thanks to everyone for the advice... it seems prior to last night I did not know the backend of a MOSFET from the front end!

You guys all rock! @eviltoy, @BigAnt, @SEAN P, @Blu_Marlin, @johan

@TylerD - Don't be scared, you cannot make more of a ballsup than I did.I am only getting home late tonight, but I am hoping I will have the energy to get my box mod up and running.

I am thinking of naming mine Boba Fet.

Boomshakalaka! It's alive!!!!
Thanks for all the input guys! Next one will be so much easier!
Not bad for a first try. I'm very chuffed!
DSC_0091.JPG

Baller. for those guys wondering its actually easier to have the mosfet on the left of the sled

Congrats @devdev and @TylerD
I admire your persistence

Devdev, your running commentary was hilarious. And I like "Boba Fet". Lol

Oh, and @SEAN P - please upload a cool avatar pic!
Maybe a pic of a mosfet would be a great starting point. Ha ha

Guys, are there some kind of liquid insulation I can use on the parts I circled here?
Just scared of a short on the open wires when I put the cap on.
DSC_0091.JPG

Guys, are there some kind of liquid insulation I can use on the parts I circled here?
Just scared of a short on the open wires when I put the cap on.
View attachment 29019

You can use "hot snot" (aka hot glue), epoxy clear, those very thin double sided tape or even clear silicone. Alternatively, you can paint or stick Desifix on the inside of lid to isolate if you think it can potentially short the bare wires.

You can use "hot snot" (aka hot glue), epoxy clear, those very thin double sided tape or even clear silicone. Alternatively, you can paint or stick Desifix on the inside of lid to isolate if you think it can potentially short the bare wires.
Thanks @johan ! By the way, I really enjoyed the soldering after all. Thanks for all the tips.

Great work bud!! How she vape?
Brilliant! My Lemo just can keep up with the wicking. On my pipe it's not a problem. I think the voltage drop is very small. Will test it this afternoon. Cant wait to finish the paint now!

Back