If Vaping Gear\Juices got 95% taxes what would you do?

If Vaping Gear\Juices got 95% taxes what would you do?

• Quit Vaping

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Go back to stinkies

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • become a DIY pro

Votes: 42 70.0%
  • Buy up all possible products to last you a long time :p

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Never stop and have a sign by the street saying Ejuice\gear required for flavour chaser

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Go on strike (a common SA thing)

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • This will never happen

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters
That was perfectly expressed, so clever :clap::rock:

I wonder about that too - but I'd like it in 24mg...for that all week buzz ;):)

:D I think pure not a hybrid extract, you won't even need any nic.

Last edited:
95% tax on ready made juices would make it really bad for us. I assume juice manufacturers would be forced to make a bit less profit and take some of the pain and the price would go up by say about 50%.

I think it would mean a lot of smaller juice manufacturers would just be forced to close down over the longer term and volume manufacture would be the way to go.

Bad for us consumers as choice would reduce.

I suppose it would also make DIY a lot more popular.

I suppose it would only apply to ready made juices and nicotine. But PG and VG as well as flavour concentrates should escape this I hope.

On your point of smaller vendors going out of business...
I would think that a smart(er) small vendor would sell his recipes, in a manner of speaking.
Instead of selling ready-made juice, they could for example, sell flavour bottles. The exact amounts of flavour(s) for that exact juice they used to sell.
Instructions on the bottle would include ratios/amounts of PG, VG, and Nic to mix with the flavouring mixture.

So, we would all buy our PG and VG at dischem, Nicotine from wherever, and flavour bottles from aforementioned vendors, to mix by instruction of the vendor.
Say, VM Monroe... you wouldnt buy caramel, banana, etc separately... you would buy a bottle Monroe flavouring. Same thing as it is now, just minus the base liquids.

Heck... an even smarter vendor would probably figure that selling all their liquids at 0 Nic would bypass such taxes, and we can just buy Nic from somewhere else to add to it.

I honestly do not see any feasible way for the government to tax any of the individual ingredients without SEVERELY ******* up about a million other businesses straight into bankrupcy...

On your point of smaller vendors going out of business...
I would think that a smart(er) small vendor would sell his recipes, in a manner of speaking.
Instead of selling ready-made juice, they could for example, sell flavour bottles. The exact amounts of flavour(s) for that exact juice they used to sell.
Instructions on the bottle would include ratios/amounts of PG, VG, and Nic to mix with the flavouring mixture.

So, we would all buy our PG and VG at dischem, Nicotine from wherever, and flavour bottles from aforementioned vendors, to mix by instruction of the vendor.
Say, VM Monroe... you wouldnt buy caramel, banana, etc separately... you would buy a bottle Monroe flavouring. Same thing as it is now, just minus the base liquids.

Heck... an even smarter vendor would probably figure that selling all their liquids at 0 Nic would bypass such taxes, and we can just buy Nic from somewhere else to add to it.

I honestly do not see any feasible way for the government to tax any of the individual ingredients without SEVERELY ******* up about a million other businesses straight into bankrupcy...
Already happening in Australia. Retailers there only sell flavour bases and you import (for personal use for 3 months) your own nicotine to add.

To Be honest I think I might be at the point to give up nicotine completely. so it wouldn't be a major hassle. just a little grumpiness for a week or two but that about it.

As long as I can get my Happy Holidays ill be good.

Already happening in Australia. Retailers there only sell flavour bases and you import (for personal use for 3 months) your own nicotine to add.

Interesting.

Poor Aussies though, they get screwed with everything. Videogames as well - ever so slightly too much (the kind that grown up gamers actually like) and they get banned or toned down.

Interesting.

Poor Aussies though, they get screwed with everything. Videogames as well - ever so slightly too much (the kind that grown up gamers actually like) and they get banned or toned down.

And that is why I love Sunny South Africa. Our government can't give a dam about anything unless there is a quick buck to be made and involves there family members.

Great to see all the responses so far!

I definitely think this will be interesting to see how we all adapt to the future and what we might be witnessing is a complete 360 on the whole Vaping journey we all on! For now i will appreciate Vaping on some international juice as it may never taste so good after realising it may just go away.

It wouldn't bother me because all of my gear comes from China.

I'm not so sure because China definitely does not follow American policies.

I'm not so sure because China definitely does not follow American policies.
I don't think you getting my point here it has nothing todo with where u get the gear from but if USA apply heavy taxes sa will do the same probably and import taxes will be first .

That was perfectly expressed, so clever :clap::rock:

I wonder about that too - but I'd like it in 24mg...for that all week buzz ;):)

Yeah, but what would call it if you OD on that one. Cant be silver... Actually seeing as shrooms are fungus you could call it miffed

I don't think you getting my point here it has nothing todo with where u get the gear from but if USA apply heavy taxes sa will do the same probably and import taxes will be first .

Unfortunately that is true. we do follow the US market sentiment as well us tax policies fairly closely. If we would get nailed that hard I don't know, but if it does go through in the US we will start paying sin taxes here. We might also see much tighter regulation on the vendors. however, yes we are a growing community, but I don't think we are big enough for the government to really take us seriously.

EDIT:

The other thing to take into account us South Africans ***** to easy, at worst they can do is tax the same as tobacco and alcohol. Our economy is to weak to get nailed that hard. If anything we could even see that they try and ease up the importing of Chines products. The governments ongoing talks and discussions with becoming a trade partner with the Chinese is still to new. if they going to start hitting us hard on tax its going to damage this trade relations. Not as major as say cars or food but it will have an impact on electronics, That is something the SA government would not want to see happen.

The SA government is very clever in terms of who they partner with. Give the Chinese a couple of more years and I believe that the Chinese will be inline to be the next world super power. The American government is not very keen on massive partnerships with the Chinese where we are basically turning into a Chinese colony. I don't believe with regards to tax we have anything to worry about for now.

Last edited:
Unfortunately that is true. we do follow the US market sentiment as well us tax policies fairly closely. If we would get nailed that hard I don't know, but if it does go through in the US we will start paying sin taxes here. We might also see much tighter regulation on the vendors. however, yes we are a growing community, but I don't think we are big enough for the government to really take us seriously.

EDIT:

The other thing to take into account us South Africans ***** to easy, at worst they can do is tax the same as tobacco and alcohol. Our economy is to weak to get nailed that hard. If anything we could even see that they try and ease up the importing of Chines products. The governments ongoing talks and discussions with becoming a trade partner with the Chinese is still to new. if they going to start hitting us hard on tax its going to damage this trade relations. Not as major as say cars or food but it will have an impact on electronics, That is something the SA government would not want to see happen.

The SA government is very clever in terms of who they partner with. Give the Chinese a couple of more years and I believe that the Chinese will be inline to be the next world super power. The American government is not very keen on massive partnerships with the Chinese where we are basically turning into a Chinese colony. I don't believe with regards to tax we have anything to worry about for now.

Some very insightful stuff here bud. I think we will feel it but as you say, maybe not as much as the US. It will still definitely change things though - just by how much is still a bit uncertain right now :wondering:

PS: I think that's the first time I've ever seen the words "clever" and "SA government" in the same sentence without it including a lot of "not"s :rofl:

Some very insightful stuff here bud. I think we will feel it but as you say, maybe not as much as the US. It will still definitely change things though - just by how much is still a bit uncertain right now :wondering:

PS: I think that's the first time I've ever seen the words "clever" and "SA government" in the same sentence without it including a lot of "not"s :rofl:

From working in the Financial industry myself, I have actually seen a couple of times that the SA government had there moments. An example was the recession. Between Trevor and Tito, they actually saved us from getting hit really hard by it. They implemented the Credit act and managed to save up some money in the national coffer and really softened the blow for us in a big way.

Back