My first build

What's the advantage of a fused build

Take me to the clouds

Good question. some say spaced builds give great flavour. Im yet to try one. Normally I do fused builds to save space while getting the right amount of wraps in.

Hi guys, whats the ideal wire to try my first build on? I've got a subtank mini looking for 0.5 ohms...
Thanks in advance

Attempted my first build now, it's still on the screwdriver which comes with the subtank mini, I did 5 wraps with 26g Kanthal , does it matter how big the ID is? As right now it seems it will be a bit hard to wick... My tool box is a mess so looking for a specific drill bit (2.5mm) is close to impossible haha...

Attempted my first build now, it's still on the screwdriver which comes with the subtank mini, I did 5 wraps with 26g Kanthal , does it matter how big the ID is? As right now it seems it will be a bit hard to wick... My tool box is a mess so looking for a specific drill bit (2.5mm) is close to impossible haha...
Yes, it does matter - with a bigger ID you will get a higher resistance with the same amount of wraps as you will be using more wire. Also affects wicking quite substantially. Think those screwdrivers are about 1.5 mm ID. It will work, but might not keep up with wicking at higher power.

Yes, it does matter - with a bigger ID you will get a higher resistance with the same amount of wraps as you will be using more wire. Also affects wicking quite substantially. Think those screwdrivers are about 1.5 mm ID. It will work, but might not keep up with wicking at higher power.
Pardon my ignorance, but would it therefore be better to find a drillbit a bit bigger than the 1.5mm?

Pardon my ignorance, but would it therefore be better to find a drillbit a bit bigger than the 1.5mm?
Yes, I think so. Even a 2.0 mm should be better. These newer tanks with big air slots and juice channels methinks do require more wicking, which the bigger IDs provide. My stock ID is 2.5 mm for tanks. But, do not be afraid to experiment. Once you have done the first coil, the next ones are very easy.

So here's my very first coil. I just put it in the deck to get an ohm reading, I'm gonna make a bigger ID now that I can wick and vape. It was at 0.6ohms then I pulsed it and went down to 0.4ohms. Thanks for the help guys, this is fun haha.

EDIT: Now its back to 0.6ohms, is there a reason for this? I'm probably doing something wrong...

fc734ce65efc33d51b87efd26394ceb0.jpg
0c4d28c4b6966ffb18a6016e0091689d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on your first coil @Hungry4Vape
Great coil! Much better than my first - ha ha
Enjoy

Ya, I recommend what @nemo said above - those jewelry screwdrivers are the best - they come in a set with different diameters. You can get them at a hardware store and at places like Builders Warehouse.

So here's my very first coil. I just put it in the deck to get an ohm reading, I'm gonna make a bigger ID now that I can wick and vape. It was at 0.6ohms then I pulsed it and went down to 0.4ohms. Thanks for the help guys, this is fun haha.

EDIT: Now its back to 0.6ohms, is there a reason for this? I'm probably doing something wrong...

Thats a good looking coil. From the pic I cant see the bottom lead, make sure it is not touching any of the wraps on its way to the posts as the coil is at a bit of an angle also that its not touching the deck either before the mounting posts, also check that the posts are tied down firmly and that the deck is screwed down snugly. (do not over tighten either) Also take your leads and try to get them more snug under the screws, the one does seem to be sticking out a bit. I dont have any experience with a subtank mini so I cant really say on what to check on the positive post of the 510 connector.

I like my coils to be parallel to the posts and centered over the air hole but that is just me it should not be casing the fluctuations you are getting.

You guys are really a huge help, thank you. So I found a 2mm screwdriver that I used. This is the final outcome, I'm quite happy with it, it's not perfect but it's a start. @nemo @Silver
Thanks for your help, I doubt this will be the last time I ask for help :p
04c187ddd18e72e02d1f1431acd7001c.jpg
23845d7844798abc94c8f50076b2abf6.jpg

You guys are really a huge help, thank you. So I found a 2mm screwdriver that I used. This is the final outcome, I'm quite happy with it, it's not perfect but it's a start. @nemo @Silver
Thanks for your help, I doubt this will be the last time I ask for help :p

:clap::dance: nice build may the clouds always be fluffy and the hits never dry. Great build and questions welcome anytime.

By the way @Hungry4Vape , that little blue screwdriver one gets with a lot of the tanks is usually 1.96mm
I think someone referred to it being 1.5mm - but I measured mine and it is very close to 2mm
Just FYI - you more than likely have the same one.

Here is the link to another post on this little blue screwdriver
http://www.ecigssa.co.za/kayfun-help-needed.t13859/#post-256631

Also make sure that the coil glows from the inside out. Any specific reason you are building spaced coils?

I found that spaced coils are better for flavor. I only use spaced coils. Can't remember when was the last time I used a tightly wrapped coil. They keep burning off my cotton in the middle. Don't like them.

Thanks @Silver
@zadiac So basically just press them when they on the screwdriver but don't pinch them after pulsing? Gonna try that on my next build. Thanks man

Back