Silvers Kayfun Experience

Ok time for an update after a day or two of side by side comparison

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1492022378.294334.jpg

Its been a very interesting day or two.

Bottom line, I am not convinced the Kayfun V5 is going to beat the mighty Lemo1 for my Strawberry Ice blend and this type of restricted lung low power vape

The Kayfun V5 holds a lot of promise and has a lot going for it:
- Its quite easy to build and wick - although i have done it only once
- Its easier to fill - shut off juice flow then open the top cap and fill
- The airflow control works well - 4 settings - i like the second largest and largest

The Kayfun V5 flavour is good, very good. Its slightly richer and a bit wetter than the Lemo1.

But

I still think the Lemo1 produces a more "crystal clear" and sharper flavour for this juice, at least with the current identical builds. I find the sharpness and menthol burn on the Lemo1 outshines the Kayfun V5.

I have also found that the KF5 has on the odd occasion produced a slightly dryish hit after a few successive long vapes. I dont know if I am opening the juice flow control enough but a criticism is you dont know how far to turn because if you turn too far, you will dismantle the tank. I seem to recall PBusardo mentioning this in his KF5 video.

Bear in mind, this is for my taste. I like sharp crispness for fruity menthols. Other palates may find the experience to be different I suspect.

I need to experiment more and perhaps try rewicking and then a different coil perhaps. But so far I would say my mighty Lemo1 is still in the lead.

It is a bit unfair as well because I have built so many coils on the Lemo1 over the past 18 months or so and have worked out how to wick it for this juice and power. Versus the first build and wick on the KF5.

Last edited:
Ok time for an update after a day or two of side by side comparison

View attachment 91365

Its been a very interesting day or two.

Bottom line, I am not convinced the Kayfun V5 is going to beat the mighty Lemo1 for my Strawberry Ice blend and this type of restricted lung low power vape

The Kayfun V5 holds a lot of promise and has a lot going for it:
- Its quite easy to build and wick - although i have done it only once
- Its easier to fill - shut off juice flow then open the top cap and fill
- The airflow control works well - 4 settings - i like the second largest and largest

The Kayfun V5 flavour is good, very good. Its slightly richer and a bit wetter than the Lemo1.

But

I still think the Lemo1 produces a more "crystal clear" and sharper flavour for this juice, at least with the current identical builds. I find the sharpness and menthol burn on the Lemo1 outshines the Kayfun V5.

I have also found that the KF5 has on the odd occasion produced a slightly dryish hit after a few successive long vapes. I dont know if I am opening the juice flow control enough but a criticism is you dont know how far to turn because if you turn too far, you will dismantle the tank. I seem to recall PBusardo mentioning this in his KF5 video.

Bear in mind, this is for my taste. I like sharp crispness for fruity menthols. Other palates may find the experience to be different I suspect.

I need to experiment more and perhaps try rewicking and then a different coil perhaps. But so far I would say my mighty Lemo1 is still in the lead.

It is a bit unfair as well because I have built so many coils on the Lemo1 over the past 18 months or so and have worked out how to wick it for this juice and power. Versus the first build and wick on the KF5.
Look at the logo inside and turn 3 times.
This works for 50/50 juice and 70/30 juice.
2.5 turns is also fine.

Look at the logo inside and turn 3 times.
This works for 50/50 juice and 70/30 juice.
2.5 turns is also fine.

Thanks @Christos
I have done that now
I closed it off then opened it such that the logo spun around 3 times
I may have had it open a bit less than that but am not sure
Will monitor - i may just rewick tomorrow morning and then try again

Thanks @Christos
I have done that now
I closed it off then opened it such that the logo spun around 3 times
I may have had it open a bit less than that but am not sure
Will monitor - i may just rewick tomorrow morning and then try again
The bell cap for the v5 is a nice addition if you ever want to buy accessories. The drip tip fits on the chimney and I do think I get better flavour with a shorter distance from the chamber to my mouth.
Currently running a .66 ohm coil at 15W with my custom strawberry menthol :D

The twists and turns of vaping....

Thanks @Christos - i put the base back - and did the three turns of the logo
Its working superbly now ! Much like the first few vapes when I got it going
Maybe what i did wrong was when I refilled the tank at some point I may have not opened the juice flow enough. Might have been dumb user error on my part. Hehe

Lets see, its definitely doing better now

Will go for another day or two and report back...

Oh, one more positive for the KF5
Not a single leak in three days and a few tankfills
Even removing the base and rewicking didnt shed a drop after it was all put back together
I have been careful to close the juice flow whenever refilling or taking off the base

Big plus for this tank

Also forgot to mention a small negative compared to the Lemo1. The KF5 definitely has less capacity of juice. Lemo1 takes a comfortable 4ml, might even be closer to 4.5ml.
KF5 seems to take 3 to 3.5ml.
Not a major negative at these sorts of powers but it does require slightly more frequent refilling.

Why cant they make something with this kind of flavour and 10ml?
Eh?

Last edited:
A way to blow your mind will be a micro alien in there.

Running an Ammit at the moment while I patiently wait for spares.

Glad you are enjoying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking of throwing a baby clapton in the v5. Had a dual core clapton and it was good but I went with a small build for my menthol.
Made some chain coils and an alien coil today to play with on other atties.
20170412_085023.jpg 20170412_075921.jpg

Anything complex in the K5 shines to be honest. 2.5mm ID and 30w with Powerfull+ on the SX450 board and I'm happy as can be.

A way to blow your mind will be a micro alien in there.

Running an Ammit at the moment while I patiently wait for spares.

Glad you are enjoying it.

Aliens with 38 AWG outer and 2x 28 AWG core are not easy but I managed.

The last pic is the micro aliens with a 32 AWG outer alien.
My only concern is menthol will taste like menthol so I need to decide what juice to run in the kayfun with the micro alien.
20170413_222433.jpg 20170413_223000.jpg 20170413_223400.jpg

Am pleased to say that the Kayfun V5 has now become part of my daily rotation. Looks like it's going to be a long term fixture.

It's been nearly a week and it continues to impress.

Doesn't leak
Super flavour
Well behaved

Today it got a vape band. Which means it has passed the testing stage ;-)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1492164111.671132.jpg

Decided to go for the VapeCon band because the white matches the tip ....and because VapeCon preparations have been accelerating ;-)

I am glad to see you are enjoying the kayfun v5. The fact that there are no leaks is a big How often do u clean coil and rewick if u don't mind me asking.

Am pleased to say that the Kayfun V5 has now become part of my daily rotation. Looks like it's going to be a long term fixture.

It's been nearly a week and it continues to impress.

Doesn't leak
Super flavour
Well behaved

Today it got a vape band. Which means it has passed the testing stage ;-)

View attachment 91587

Decided to go for the VapeCon band because the white matches the tip ....and because VapeCon preparations have been accelerating ;-)
I recall saying your lemo's would be retired :D waiting patiently for the 2nd kayfun...

I recall saying your lemo's would be retired :D waiting patiently for the 2nd kayfun...

Oh no @Christos

I said the Kayfun has gone into rotation
I did not say that the Lemo1 was retired. No chance of that happening anytime soon
I still find the flavour on the Lemo1 slightly crisper which I like
Need to experiment more on the KF with different coils and juices though...

I am glad to see you are enjoying the kayfun v5. The fact that there are no leaks is a big How often do u clean coil and rewick if u don't mind me asking.

Its still early days @Ash
I have only built one coil on it and only rewicked once
Did about 5 tankfuls on the first wick and am on my 2nd tankful on this wick

With this kind of setup and low power (sub 15W) and this juice (Strawberry menthol) I suspect it will be very similar to my Lemo1 maintenance-wise. On that tank I rewick about every 30-35mls, which is about 8 or 9 tankfuls. And a new coil about once a month which I estimate is after about 20 tankfuls or so. This juice is not rough on the coil and wick. Its a win win allround.

Its still early days @Ash
I have only built one coil on it and only rewicked once
Did about 5 tankfuls on the first wick and am on my 2nd tankful on this wick

With this kind of setup and low power (sub 15W) and this juice (Strawberry menthol) I suspect it will be very similar to my Lemo1 maintenance-wise. On that tank I rewick about every 30-35mls, which is about 8 or 9 tankfuls. And a new coil about once a month which I estimate is after about 20 tankfuls or so. This juice is not rough on the coil and wick. Its a win win allround.
That annoying fill screw on the lemo 1 is enough to drive me insane.
Also the build deck on the kayfun is phenomenal compared to the lemo.
I especially like that I can wrap the coil around the post before screwing down as there are milled out sections to accommodate.

That annoying fill screw on the lemo 1 is enough to drive me insane.
Also the build deck on the kayfun is phenomenal compared to the lemo.
I especially like that I can wrap the coil around the post before screwing down as there are milled out sections to accommodate.

I hear you, but I have filled the Lemo1 many times ;-)
I have this magnetic star screwdriver and it holds the screw when i take it out. Its fast and easy.
Agreed on the build deck for the Lemo1. But i make a new coil only every month or two so its not too much of a hassle.

And

The flavour of the Lemo1 for my Strawberry Menthol is exceptional.

I cant understand exactly why. Probably has to do with the shape of the internals and the airflow mix etc. And I am lucky that the draw fully open on the airflow (because it kinda has to stay open with the flaw in how they designed it) happens to be perfect for me for this juice. All lucky I guess.

I hear you, but I have filled the Lemo1 many times ;-)
I have this magnetic star screwdriver and it holds the screw when i take it out. Its fast and easy.
Agreed on the build deck for the Lemo1. But i make a new coil only every month or two so its not too much of a hassle.

And

The flavour of the Lemo1 for my Strawberry Menthol is exceptional.

I cant understand exactly why. Probably has to do with the shape of the internals and the airflow mix etc. And I am lucky that the draw fully open on the airflow (because it kinda has to stay open with the flaw in how they designed it) happens to be perfect for me for this juice. All lucky I guess.
I hear you. I'm just teasing. I loved my lemo's but that might be because I payed R1000 each back in the day.
Like I've said before one of the post screws/posts went funny because the screw thread in the post stripped.

I hear you. I'm just teasing. I loved my lemo's but that might be because I payed R1000 each back in the day.
Like I've said before one of the post screws/posts went funny because the screw thread in the post stripped.

I hear you
And i do think the quality of the Kayfun is much better.
Looks like it will hold out much longer!

2.5mm ID
0.36 ohms
Alien claptons (my first attempt with 38 AWG aliens)
Cotton bacon v2

Running a DIY cereal juice.
20170414_161430.jpg
20170414_161928.jpg

20170414_162124.jpg

20170414_162427.jpg

Am getting "slightly dry hits" the last few tankfuls on the Kayfun V5

Same coil but i have rewicked a few times.

So strange

Juice flow is "3 full turns" open as per @Christos 's guidance
Its a really simple tame coil - 7 wrapper 2mm id 28g Kanthal
Less than 15 Watts of power

But the hits are feeling a bit dry and when i take out the wick it does look a bit more burnt than i think it should.

Seems like its not feeding properly. But its strange. I think i am wicking it right. Tails resting on the side decks. And its a 50/50 juice so it should be wicking easy.

Am using Rayon, so it might be that. Hope not though because i love Rayon for my fruity menthols.

Maybe i need to make a new coil and try again.
Or increase the ID to 2.5mm

I dont know what to try.

Any ideas?

:(

Am getting "slightly dry hits" the last few tankfuls on the Kayfun V5

Same coil but i have rewicked a few times.

So strange

Juice flow is "3 full turns" open as per @Christos 's guidance
Its a really simple tame coil - 7 wrapper 2mm id 28g Kanthal
Less than 15 Watts of power

But the hits are feeling a bit dry and when i take out the wick it does look a bit more burnt than i think it should.

Seems like its not feeding properly. But its strange. I think i am wicking it right. Tails resting on the side decks. And its a 50/50 juice so it should be wicking easy.

Am using Rayon, so it might be that. Hope not though because i love Rayon for my fruity menthols.

Maybe i need to make a new coil and try again.
Or increase the ID to 2.5mm

I dont know what to try.

Any ideas?

:(
Try 10W.
If you like the coil size then why change?
I get dry hits at 26w with my kayfun and at 24w it's perfect...

Try 10W.
If you like the coil size then why change?
I get dry hits at 26w with my kayfun and at 24w it's perfect...

Thanks @Christos
I will try that - i did go as low as 11.5W
Will rewick again

Are there any tricks regarding the placement of the wick in the "juice compartments" ?
I fluff it and try rest it so that it comfortably touches and covers the base of the compartment

Back