All Things Reo

That is silicone sealant. Like @johan said, you can just put a piece of tubing in there. I did it on one of mine and it works.

I installed the 510 pin, then screwed an atty down to keep it in place. I then pushed a piece of tubing over the pin right to the top before completing the rest of the assembly.

Thanks guys, I think I got it, only issue now is that the firing pin doesn't seem to be making contact with the 510 positive pin

Thanks guys, I think I got it, only issue now is that the firing pin doesn't seem to be making contact with the 510 positive pin

Ernest's tip about screwing in an atty to keep the pin in place is what I did too, then just make sure the insulation attached to the leaf spring firing pin which has a hole punched out for the 510 pin, is not obstructing the two metal parts. You can easily test for continuity with a multimeter.

I'm unsure if you did anything with the negative spring, but it's worthwhile checking conductivity between the spring and the negative threads in the 510, the screw that hold the spring is the point of contact with the body.

Lastly, remove any third party bullet button covers if you have one installed. It can shorten the throw of the delrin fire button.

Thanks @Alex, my problem was the leaf's insulation was in the way so the leaf did not contact the pin properly. Soldered it in place, but the leaks started when tested. with no lp on the top part of the feed tube, juice came trough the sides of the 510. And I was so clever with the soldering job, that I had to break the pin to remove it. At least now I have a spare gasket :D

Thanks @Alex, my problem was the leaf's insulation was in the way so the leaf did not contact the pin properly. Soldered it in place, but the leaks started when tested. with no lp on the top part of the feed tube, juice came trough the sides of the 510. And I was so clever with the soldering job, that I had to break the pin to remove it. At least now I have a spare gasket :D

When I was faced with trying to solve leaking problems with my first reo, the best way I found to check the repairs was this:

Fill the juice bottle with plain water, block the 510 with your thumb and squeeze the juice bottle with two fingers real hard to check for any leaks.

Got a smaller button with a 2nd hand reo mini, but never really liked the look of it. Chucked in in the drill-press earlier and reshaped it a tad. Aluminium is really easy to shape with a file,and buffed up with some Autosol.

IMG_1555.jpg IMG_1557.jpg

@Papa_Lazarou, it's a real easy paint job. Just apply the colors you want underneath, then add some crackle black spray paint over it. The more crackle added. the bigger the cracks. Over here it is marketed under the Spraymate brand.

IMG_1533.JPG IMG_1533.JPG

Well, I sprayed the center green, the sides oranges (once the green has dried) then when both colors were dry, I applied the crackle. Applied the crackle a bit thicker on the sides to show more color, because I added very little green and needed bigger cracks to show it. It is a bit hit and miss, that was take 3. But it strips off really easy with acetone. I just applied a matt clear coat when done.It's my in-car mod, so it does get handled a lot and seems to stand up quite well to being chucked n the cup holder. http://www.spraymate.co.za/Crackle.html

The crackle is also available in white. Also used the etch primer. Sure Wallmart would stock something similar.

@Viper_SA that green Mini is so hawwwwt!

Colonel Braddock is my bedside mod. He rarely leaves the premises. I'd die if hat original green on the body scratched. He was bought from Phillip Dunkley and was my 1st Reo ever. I just changed up the original black door.

Well, I sprayed the center green, the sides oranges (once the green has dried) then when both colors were dry, I applied the crackle. Applied the crackle a bit thicker on the sides to show more color, because I added very little green and needed bigger cracks to show it. It is a bit hit and miss, that was take 3. But it strips off really easy with acetone. I just applied a matt clear coat when done.It's my in-car mod, so it does get handled a lot and seems to stand up quite well to being chucked n the cup holder. http://www.spraymate.co.za/Crackle.html

The crackle is also available in white. Also used the etch primer. Sure Wallmart would stock something similar.

Perfect. Cheers, mate.

Now, does it tend to build up on the edges where you applied more? Also, did you mask the edge rails so that the door would still fit into the slots on the REO body?

No masking done. Really doesn't need much color after the primer. I just slide in in and out a few times if it's stiff (sounds naughty, I know) until it's nice and loose. It's like two swipes of spray paint on the sides and one in the middle.

Thanks guys, just put in the repair kit and a little piece of feed tube in the bottom, firing like a champ again :D

Just in case anyone ever wondered how long a REO bottle lasts, my bottle gave up today after a year and a half of heavy use. You can see the crack in the middle. It has served me well and will continue to squonk in the great beyond.
IMG_1994.JPG

Agree with the standard Reo bottles, they just keep on giving. I have a bunch of both sizes of spare bottles for all my Reos I bought early into Reos... but in 20 months have never had one fail. Some of that by dedicating liquids to Reos so they don't have to be changed because of the juice they ran, and part having enough Reos that while they do get used they don't get used daily, weekly or even monthly sometimes.

I have a whole bunch of Reo standard bottles here. But I only use two of them in my daily use, and they are still performing as new after almost 19 months.

Yep - 2 years and change and no fails yet. One is looking at me funny, but I think it just doesn't like the juice (a DIY peach melba that will NOT be repeated).

Just in case anyone ever wondered how long a REO bottle lasts, my bottle gave up today after a year and a half of heavy use. You can see the crack in the middle. It has served me well and will continue to squonk in the great beyond.
View attachment 50990

I've used a specific one for 2yrs and almost 1 month (every day) in the Reo Grand, and still going strong. I must say it's a bit oval shaped, but I shall wait until it starts to leak (just for the record ;-)) before I replace same - still got 8 unused.

I've used a specific one for 2yrs and almost 1 month (every day) in the Reo Grand, and still going strong. I must say it's a bit oval shaped, but I shall wait until it starts to leak (just for the record ;-)) before I replace same - still got 8 unused.
I go trough 15-30ml of juice a day depending on how nice the juice is, must be my rough finger tips that was eating away at my bottle. I was surprised that it lasted that long to be honest.

I go trough 15-30ml of juice a day depending on how nice the juice is, must be my rough finger tips that was eating away at my bottle. I was surprised that it lasted that long to be honest.

Judging by your avi pic, you've got something special going on with the squonk, for sure.

Back