Discussion - Juice Competition - Best Of Ecigssa

@devdev
This is a great initiative and something I would like to see done well
I support it in principle - it just has to be done in the right way
Let me think about this and will post some thoughts next week.
Bravo
I would appreciate having you on board Silver, even if it is only to help consult on approach, I know you will identify potential issues up front

If vendors will be promoting to get votes on juices I think we'll miss the point of this thing. Vendors should have nothing to do with it. It's simple really. Vote on a juice you like and have experience with. Once this turns into a horse race between vendors it's tits up and the same thing will happen here that did on ECF.

You'll start seeing VOTE FOR US TO GET 10% promo's on websites. That ECF list is total hogwash.
Many brands that should have been up there isn't it because they had no direct involvement with the process, nor websites to offer coupon codes on. They simply produce the stuff and sell it to online vendors and B&M's. Most of the online vendors on that list promoted their own brand and had someething to gain by ending up on top of that list, hench the promo's that went out to bump votes.

I don't for a second believe that results weren't driven without any reward. I'd like to see this NOT be the case here. Especially with the local guys. I couldn't give where an international brand ended up on the list as, well, it really has nothing to do with me. I don't make it. I sell it.

Locally we're a little behind in the liquid scene compared to the EU and the USA. With competition being stiff over there these guys have been forced to go through lengths to produce unique things. I say this with utmost respect so don't be getting knickers in a twist. But we've come so far in a short period of time that I think something like this could be inspirational for local juice makers if it was indeed a true reflection of their product and it would give them a good idea where they stand and a better idea of which way to go in the future.

Awesome Idea guys, will be looking forward to this, I have a few ideas or suggestions

Free Juice samples may not be the greatest of ideas cause I mean for the retailers to supply us all with samples will not be cost effective and the judging of some of the juice may not be totally fair, as consumers are getting it free from 1 vendor and have to pay from the other one, therefore more people will test the free juice and the others will not be judged with the same enthusiasm. What i would suggest is the the vendors enter their 1/2/3 or however they are allowed to and sell them at a reduced rate so we can sqeeze it into our budgets without breaking the bank.

Also we could choose a judging panel and the top 10 can be set in front of them in each division and they could then choose the top of the top, and we can do this at a meet or something like that.

just suggestions, also I will be willing to assist in whichever way i can, I think this is an awesome step up in our south african vaping journey

no panel, no vendor nominated juices, just public votes. if you've only got one juice from one vendor, vote for that and that's it, finish and klaar. i do not want to vote from my favourite juice and then leave the final decision to a few select individuals. that's not democratic or fair to the vendor

Do you think that a Panel of Judges will work since taste is so subjective, if the panel is made up of guys that do not like sweet flavours, or Tobacco Flavours then those flavours are at a disadvantage?

Secondly Skyblue will only enter our Recipe flavours, and not all our Flavours because some of them are stock TFA flavours, and any body with our DIY kit can do exactly the same, the Recipe flavours on the other hand are my creations, and which I'm most proud of.

Then there is the question that has been raised already, what stops me from popping my 2 or 3 Recipe flavours that is up for voting into someone's order free of charge? How will this be regulated? I'm not saying I will do this, but I think it's a fair question?

Then there is the other side of the coin, how do I get people that vote to get to taste my juices when I'm not allowed to punt my products to them?

So many concerns pop into my head when I read this, the benefits of obvisouly being the best but what about the worst tasting juice, there are definitly consequences to that as well, negative publicity like that can kill a small bussines.

I think everyone needs to go and reread my original post again.

Having slept on it, I actually think there should be no active participation or endorsement from vendors.

The following are what I think needs to happen:

1. There will be no panel of judges - Taste is subjective. By having judges we require physical meetings, juices to be purchased, devices compared, setups copied, agreement to be made on the decisions. How do we select judges? I judged the coil building competition with TylerD and Rowan. It took 45 mins. We do not have time to sit and do this.

Simply put, this complicates things too much. People must vote based on their own experiences, from their computers.

2. There will be no public announcement of the ranking of all juices - We are not seeking to name and shame those juices which do not fare well. At the end of the day a juice that ranks low may not have much market presence, but arguably is better than better known juices. If a business owner has a product they would have been expected to have taken reasonable steps to establish its market presence.

The competition is not intended to provide a direct marketing platform for all competitors to market their products. However, in the interests of fairness the admins may wish to consider providing a once off opportunity, in a seperate part of the forum, whereby juice makers can openly punt their products for the purposes of the competition.

3. The vendors are NOT required to give their permission for a member to enter their product into the competition. - Any member is free to nominate any local or imported juice into the respective categories. This is a free market system. If I have bought a juice and I am thrilled with it, then I will vote for it. Simple as that.

4. The issuing of free samples - I do not feel it is right that free samples should be required or expected of vendors. Equally I do not think that entries into the competition should be limited to three entries. The concept is to stack all juices up against each other and see which emerges as the most popular.

For any vendor who wishes to know the ranking of their products they are free to approach the organisers to establish how they fared, but this will not be publicly announced. The idea behind sharing this information is to provide an opportunity for market feedback to the vendors.

------------

The more I think about this, the more I am convinced that this actually needs to be done completely independently of the vendors, and based purely on customer experience, without free samples.

If someone has not tried a juice from a vendor then they obviously won't vote for it.

The more I think about this, the more I am convinced that this actually needs to be done completely independently of the vendors, and based purely on customer experience, without free samples.

If someone has not tried a juice from a vendor then they obviously won't vote for it

Quoted for double agree!

I think this is a brilliant innitiative, my question is though... with me being a reseller for Just B and annemarievdh for Vape King etc, we are still part of the buyers market aswell and also make use of various different suppliers to get our own juice supplies, are we still allowed to vote or nominate our favourite juices? even if some of those are from our companies that we do sales for? o_O

To be honest I don't think we can expect vendors to produce samples for the taste box. Also could be a disadvantage if one vendor will do it, and another one can't afford to. I think in my mind it would be awesome if they all agreed to produce samples, but consider that some have up to 15 products in the range, which would mean at least 150 sample bottles x 5ml x 15 ranges. That is going to be a huge cost, let alone the bottles and time needed. Sadly I think it will not be feasible.

Work for me? Don't be ridiculous. This project has your name ALL over it. As part of your quest to find an ADV :D

I am happy to steer the project, with the assistance of one or two people, and the voting function on the forum it should be quite easy actually. At least in my mind. Would need a dedicated sub forum and we would be set
@devdev im not quite sure how i can help but if you looking for helpers let me know

brilliant idea to have this competition by the way, may just inspire our local boys to up their game

as a side note..
why dont we get all the suppliers to submit one juice of their own. the one they think will win them the trophy.
we then set up a panel who will each need to vape the juice and then grade it. based on the outcome we can announce a winner at the next vape meet or special event or even over the forum...

@devdev

Why not keep the taste box and the comp juice taste box apart. The vendors can donate a 10ml sample of the juice thay want to enter for this and the person that want to taste these juices must give a R10 donation, these money are used at the end of the year for some fancy do

Say for the first 6 months it is open to the public to vote for juice they would like to get in the box
The next 5 moths the comp taste box floats around with the nominated juices so that ppl can taste the top voted juices and money are collected for the gala juices event.
At the gala evening a panel of judges taste the juices on the same setup and score the juices
The public votes count for 80% of the marks given to the juice and 20% is given to the judges

It would be cool if we could have a juice competition at the jhb vape meet like they do overseas for our local stuff but i dont think we will see that.

this competition is a great idea and if its held on the forum then it doesnt limit it to a certain area only . every one can play

yeah i think it would be cool from what i seen overseas they have the following:

1) vendors enter 1 juice for the competition for people to sample.
2) people vote there favorite all day vape juice
3) the winner of the juice "best all day vape juice" is announced.

Maby in the future this could happen :p

yeah i think it would be cool from what i seen overseas they have the following:

1) vendors enter 1 juice for the competition for people to sample.
2) people vote there favorite all day vape juice
3) the winner of the juice "best all day vape juice" is announced.

Maby in the future this could happen :p
@paulph201 i agree that setup works. that way if a vendor doesnt want to have their juices tested or rated they just simply dont submit a juice for testing

What about listing all the vendor entries and their liquids for the competition. The vendors offer huge discounts for the members to purchase the liquids over the time period of the competition. Then at the end of the competition two things happen. Number one, a winner is announced and number two, each vendor entry donates a few samples to go into a raffle where a member wins a juice box hamper.
??????

thats a great idea. will encourage participation and support from the members.

I don't think there should be specific judges. Allow the members to purchase discounted liquids for the competition and let the members be the judges. This forum is a great tool. With raffling off a prize of a juice box hamper it will encourage members to get involved.
Maybe charge the vendors an entry fee for this competition to cover the set up and admin costs to ECIG SA.

if you guys had read all the previous posts you would see the submitting of juice thing has already been discussed and decided against. no retailer should have to submit a juice and in no way should a select few be given the final choice on what is the winning juice. this will be a public vote of people voting for their favourite local juice. if you've vaped 20 different ones, good on ya, you can choose and pick what to vote for. if you've tried 1 local juice and liked it, you can vote for that or not at all. only way it will be fair to all juice makers.

if you guys had read all the previous posts you would see the submitting of juice thing has already been discussed and decided against. no retailer should have to submit a juice and in no way should a select few be given the final choice on what is the winning juice. this will be a public vote of people voting for their favourite local juice. if you've vaped 20 different ones, good on ya, you can choose and pick what to vote for. if you've tried 1 local juice and liked it, you can vote for that or not at all. only way it will be fair to all juice makers.

I did read them lol and thats not what i was going for :mm:

Back