Eleaf Lemo RTA

Here is my wicked Lemo

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424030808.064515.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424030855.602868.jpg

Calling all Lemo users

I am having a problem with the occasional dry hit when I take a longer puff
Sometimes its more than other times, even on the same tank and setup

With my last wick, it was quite a lot better but it was still there occasionally.

With my current setup, after about 2 seconds of a lung hit, i can taste it going dry.

What do you suggest I check or fiddle with?

My current build is a simple 8 wrap 26g 2mm Id coil, wicked with Rayon.
I wick it, then pack the wick carefully against the side wall not obstructing the juice channels
Then i screw on the chimneys.
Maybe i should try the rabbit ear method, just packing it in after the base chimney goes on.

I will post a pic in a follow up post.

This dry hit thing is driving me nuts
From my experience with dry hits on the lemo it's not the way you wick it but how tight you pack the wicking material into the coil. The wick must not move freely through your coil, it should rather be under a bit of tension. Be careful not to pack it too tight either as that will choke the juice from wicking efficiently.

Have you got a thick amount of wick on either end of your coil?

Too much wick could be blocking the juice from getting to the coil

What you could try is to trim the wicks down super thin and have that thin portion inside the juice wells.

As the photos show, the rayon comes out of the coil and goes down to the deck on one side then runs along the base of the deck.

I push it against the wall before and after putting on the base chimney

@andro, i know you are more of a kayfun expert, but does this look right to you?
@free3dom , what are you thoughts?
@BumbleBee , how does yours look, compared to mine? (Lol, cant believe i typed that)

From my experience with dry hits on the lemo it's not the way you wick it but how tight you pack the wicking material into the coil. The wick must not move freely through your coil, it should rather be under a bit of tension. Be careful not to pack it too tight either as that will choke the juice from wicking efficiently.

Thanks @Dubz, i think my tightness is ok. Am using Rayon so I made it a bit tighter than cotton. But its not very tight. It does move the mod slightly if I pull it from side to side.

Have you got a thick amount of wick on either end of your coil?

Too much wick could be blocking the juice from getting to the coil

What you could try is to trim the wicks down super thin and have that thin portion inside the juice wells.

Thanks @PrenessaM , i dont have a thick wick on either side. Its the same thickness as what goes into the coil, just slightly more fluffed out before lubing it up. I will try your suggestion if i dont come right. Thanks

Thanks @Dubz, i think my tightness is ok. Am using Rayon so I made it a bit tighter than cotton. But its not very tight. It does move the mod slightly if I pull it from side to side.
That could be a bit too tight. I found that when I wicked it a fraction too tight I would also get a dry hit now and then. It drove me up the wall but after much trial and error I had no issue. Best to play around with tightness. Also I found a spaced coil worked much better for me.

Forgot to mention

My coil resistance is about 0.85 ohms
And i am vaping my 50/50 VM Strawberry Menthol mix
Not high power. Only about 13-15 Watts on the Smok M50

I like to take lomgish ling hits to get the menthol burn.
I then often get a burn of a different kind!
Actually its not a full dry hit, just a partial one. Then I stop drawing when I can taste its going dry

Off to bed, will tune in tomorrow again.

Had similar problems with the goblin . Wicking it like a kayfun or just placing the wick on the deck was not allowing for the juice to flow up the channels fast enough.

You are running a low build so you need to "assist " getting the juice up to the coil.

On high builds you don't need to be too exact with wick placement

@Silver, I don't drape my wick along the bottom of the deck like you have done, I let it hang vertically from the coil straight down and trim it so that it just touches the deck. This way the wick is as short as it can be so that the juice doesn't have to travel along an excessively long path to get to the coil. I will post a few pics of the wicking process when I open the Lemo up again.

@Silver I'm wondering if it has something to do with the Rayon..

I've never wicked the Lemo with Rayon (only got some very recently, and will give it a go) and have never (and I honestly mean never, not once) had a dry (or even semi-dry) hit using any juice (including max VG). I agree with @BumbleBee - use the same amount you do now (because the Rayon contracts somewhat), but then thin out the legs that come out of the coil and then trim them so that the tips just make contact with the deck.

In fact, when using Rayon it might even be a good idea to try a smaller coil ID so as to require less wick (so you don't need to thin out the legs).

I will rewick with Rayon once my current tank is empty - I've been neglecting the Lemo a bit lately, but it should be soon. I will take some pictures and post them if the wicking holds up :D

Thanks for all the feedback guys
Most helpful and you have given me some ideas to try

@PrenessaM - maybe i should just try a 1.2 ohm build. After all, its on a regulated and i am using this for a smooth mindless vape. I am a bit of a goose building a 0.85 ohm for that. Thanks. Funny how we vapers always try go lower if possible. Ha ha

@andro - i assume you mean more "wick" not "coil" - lol. But do you just stuff it in after screwing on the base chimney? Or pack it neatly before screwing on the base chimney?

@Rob Fisher - lol, trust you to give it away. At least it didnt go in the gorge! I am really liking the Lemo Rob, it has such a beautiful flavour for this juice and for a slow mindless soothing vape. Its really nice for me. Just need to get it a bit more finely tuned.

@BumbleBee - thanks so much. I appreciate it. You explained it so well and I understand you perfectly. I actually did my first wicking of the Lemo like that when i got it and for some reason it didnt work too well, so i changed to this which is admittedly a lot better. But maybe i will try just touching the deck one more time. Could have been something else that was a problem when i tried this before.

@free3dom - thanks for the reply. Maybe i should try once with my normal cotton and see. You may have a point that its the rayon.

Thanks for all the feedback guys
Most helpful and you have given me some ideas to try

@PrenessaM - maybe i should just try a 1.2 ohm build. After all, its on a regulated and i am using this for a smooth mindless vape. I am a bit of a goose building a 0.85 ohm for that. Thanks. Funny how we vapers always try go lower if possible. Ha ha

@andro - i assume you mean more "wick" not "coil" - lol. But do you just stuff it in after screwing on the base chimney? Or pack it neatly before screwing on the base chimney?

@Rob Fisher - lol, trust you to give it away. At least it didnt go in the gorge! I am really liking the Lemo Rob, it has such a beautiful flavour for this juice and for a slow mindless soothing vape. Its really nice for me. Just need to get it a bit more finely tuned.

@BumbleBee - thanks so much. I appreciate it. You explained it so well and I understand you perfectly. I actually did my first wicking of the Lemo like that when i got it and for some reason it didnt work too well, so i changed to this which is admittedly a lot better. But maybe i will try just touching the deck one more time. Could have been something else that was a problem when i tried this before.

@free3dom - thanks for the reply. Maybe i should try once with my normal cotton and see. You may have a point that its the rayon.
coil correct . ( sorry been a long day at work yesterday) pack it in before closing the chimney and before the priming with juice as well .

Wicking the Lemo with Rayon

The coil I have in here has an ID of 2.5mm at 0.8 ohms, it's an old build that I just dry burned to do this mini tutorial
DSC00361.JPG

Start off with a chunk of Rayon about 3cm long, you'll get a feel for the thickness of the piece you're going to use, it's difficult to describe but if you bunch it up loosely then it should be about 1mm more than your coil's ID

Twist one end and feed it through your coil, there should be some resistance, almost to the point where the coil will move when you're pulling it through.
DSC00362.JPG

Using a sharp pointed pair of scissors snip the ends using the bottom surface of the deck as a guide while keeping the rayon pulled down against the side of the atty with a free finger.
DSC00363.JPG

It should look something like this:
DSC00364.JPG img_0018.jpg

Slap some juice on that sucker and tuck it in towards the center posts. Let the ends of the rayon brush over the whole bottom surface of the deck on each side, it should be touching lightly but not so much that the ends bend.
DSC00365.JPG DSC00366.JPG

Pop the chimney section back on. When you're looking at it from the top you should be able to see light coming through the juice channels, if not just tuck it in a little with something pointy. Careful not to compress the rayon against the center post.
DSC00369.JPG DSC00370.JPG

Now you're all set, reassemble the tank, fill with juice and enjoy no more dry hits :D

Wow @BumbleBee , that is an EXCELLENT tutorial
Those photos are superb!

Thank you so much, i am going to try this pretty soon

I think my problem is that my coil ID is a bit small and that I pushed the wick up against the wall too much. So it was compressed.

When I get round to rewicking and potentially recoiling, i will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

Need to recoil my Lemo. Resistance is all over the show from 1.2 to over 5 :)
I get that too, for the life of me I can't figure out why. I found that the screw at the bottom that holds the positive post down was a tad loose, tightening helped bring the variance range down, now it hops around by 0.1 ohms. Also, the Lemos definitely don't like builds that use more than one strand of wire.

@BumbleBee

Just letting you know I am redoing my Lemo now - according to your tutorial

So far, I decided to recoil. I wanted a bigger ID so I went for a 2.4mm screwdriver.
I didn't like the afterburner effect I was getting on the 26g, so I went with 28g and 7 (or maybe 8) wraps.
Came out at 1.35 ohms.
A bit higher than I wanted - but it will have to do.
And this is for laid back strawberry menthol vaping anyway, so I think it will work

Off to do wicking as per your tutorial above.

Will report back a bit later....

@BumbleBee

Just letting you know I am redoing my Lemo now - according to your tutorial

So far, I decided to recoil. I wanted a bigger ID so I went for a 2.4mm screwdriver.
I didn't like the afterburner effect I was getting on the 26g, so I went with 28g and 7 (or maybe 8) wraps.
Came out at 1.35 ohms.
A bit higher than I wanted - but it will have to do.
And this is for laid back strawberry menthol vaping anyway, so I think it will work

Off to do wicking as per your tutorial above.

Will report back a bit later....
Don't forget the golden rule : pics or it didn't happen :D

Back