Hosh Tokolosh/rhino V1 For Review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW GUYS!

This is awesome - thank you to all citizens of Afriville and Andro, Tyler, Matthee and JohanCT and everyone else who has made their suggestions

This is awesome

Super progress.

Nothing like having something tangible in the hands.

Thanks @andro !

By the way, I know it's a prototype and is made of plastic (I assume) - but why is it Orange? Is that the colour of the material the 3D printer uses?

Super progress.

Nothing like having something tangible in the hands.

Thanks @andro !

By the way, I know it's a prototype and is made of plastic (I assume) - but why is it Orange? Is that the colour of the material the 3D printer uses?
Netherlands?

Lee

Can be any color . Is just what was in the printer when they done it .

Start Of Afriville And The Tokolosh/rhino Project

Hey @JakesSA welcome to the forum :)

Check out the link above. We have started a community based project called Afriville, which will be the first African designed and made electronic mod.

So far we have had the design drafted by @TylerD with input from the community, and @johanct is the project's electronics guy. @andro has very kindly arranged for a friend of his to do a 3D print of the design, and you can see it in the above pics.

Your experience in the machining and milling arena could make a very valuable contribution to our efforts, especially in terms of what is practical when producing our design.

Last edited:
Ahh , I just saw the plastic proto, looks VERY promising. I am not a machinist by trade but my step father-in-law is a master and the most "can do" person I have ever met. I'll gladly ask his opinion on the matter?

I think that is an amazing offer - the more input we get as a community the better/more easily the end result will be achieved.

As things stand we are a bit in the dark regarding the machining part of the production in terms of what is practical and cost effective

@TylerD @johanct @Matthee What's your feeling?

Ahh , I just saw the plastic proto, looks VERY promising. I am not a machinist by trade but my step father-in-law is a master and the most "can do" person I have ever met. I'll gladly ask his opinion on the matter?

Most interesting and thanks for the offer @JakesSA
Yes, the Afriville project can do with the input of a master and a "can do" person.
As you may appreciate by going through the Afriville related threads, we have given quite a bit of thought into the design and concepts of this device. I think if it can be executed on it will be a real winner and something we will all be proud of!

Thanks @JakesSA , I agree it will look stunning in S/S (bead blasted) or Ally (anodized) - I think S/S will make it a bit heavy though - that's my 2c.

Ja, the design's 'walls' look very thin though .. perhaps even too thin to use aluminium .. but that is just my strictly non professional opinion.

Ja, the design's 'walls' look very thin though .. perhaps even too thin to use aluminium .. but that is just my strictly non professional opinion.
We must check that then. @TylerD should be able to tell us how thick the walls in the design are. It must be a "solid" mod, that is not negotiable.

Last edited:
Take it where it comes from, I will definitely get a true professional opinion this weekend.

Ok awesome! I think the thickness will be dependent on the material it is machined out of.

Again, a trade off will be required - harder materials = harder walls = more difficult material to have processed. Softer walls will need to be thicker, but will increase weight.

*eish*

My 2c; proper anodizing adds a lot of strength to alumina.

My 2c; proper anodizing adds a lot of strength to alumina.
This is far out of my field of knowledge, but would think one should be able to sell as raw aluminum as well, and anodized layer can come off - then it should not compromise structural integrity.

This is far out of my field of knowledge, but would think one should be able to sell as raw aluminum as well, and anodized layer can come off - then it should not compromise structural integrity.

Anodizing can not come off - its an electrolysis procedure that hardens a couple of microns on the outer layer (about 60RW). Comes in a huge variety of colours as well (from clear to camo) - quite scratch resistant as well. Most consumer products made out of Alumina are anodized.

Anodizing can not come off - its an electrolysis procedure that hardens a couple of microns on the outer layer (about 60RW). Comes in a huge variety of colours as well (from clear to camo) - quite scratch resistant as well. Most consumer products made out of Alumina are anodized.
Thanks. I know Reos were anodized at the start, but apparently they had too many problems with quality/appearance and now do another process. Although, lately I see some being anodized again because some customers asked for it.

I will never ever put natural untreated Alumina products out in the field - ugly oxidation spots and scratches will appear in a matter of hours.

And if you tumble it?

Tumble is laymen's term for bead or sand blasting to give it a mat finish, it does not contribute to the hardness or protection of the natural / raw Alumina. The only way to protect is either powder coating, spray painting or anodizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back