Rob Fisher

ECIGSSA Admin
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
FINES MASTER
LV

Awards
I'm finding myself changing Rayon wicks a few times a day with the continual quest for the perfect vape... there is nothing quite like a fresh rayon wick and fresh battery... I have tried all the other wicks including ReadyXwick and for menthol juices nothing quite beats Rayon... am I the only loon changing wicks a few times a day?

I find myself wanting to not only take spare juice and batteries with me but also some rayon, my tweezers and a pair of scissors when I go out. Going fishing for the day and not getting a chance to change wicks (and I really should put the rod down and do it but I can't not have a rod in my hand when on the water) drives me crazy...

Now I rig a couple of REO's with fresh wicks and batteries and just change REO's.

i just change the wick every 2-3 tanks...mainly because then I would also like to change the juice. But I am using normal cotton. Hating the first few pulls after wicking

oh...and @Rob Fisher .... I still have a tiny bit left from the Rayon you gave me last September :D

Eh , Mr Fisher why not just take some pre-wicked attys with ? Oh wait fresh battery ....

I consider myself a lazy wicker , maybe change once a week , still on the fence about the Rayon though the Jap cotton still 'pops' for me .... even after a week :p

Eh , Mr Fisher why not just take some pre-wicked attys with ? Oh wait fresh battery ....

That is not such a doff idea... I have spare Cyclones standing by for new REO's... I could wick them up and take them with... good idea! ;-)

That is not such a doff idea... I have spare Cyclones standing by for new REO's... I could wick them up and take them with... good idea! ;-)
Yip, a very good idea. As you know I love ceramic wicking, which lasts me around 3 months. On trips I always take a spare coiled and wicked atomizer as a backup.

no wait scrap that , kak idea don't want you fumbling a Cyclone while with rod in hand and in the water it goes ... *edit* ok that sounded very "Fifty Shades..."

WAIT WHAT??!! you have spare Cyclones .... biksem ....

I found that problem with rayon, it starts tasting strange after a short while. Cotton on the other hand I can use for alot longer.
Using plain organic cotton but will be trying some jap cotton soon.

I generally rewick after about 6ml of juice. Doesn't matter which wicking material because gunk starts building up on the coil and a dry burn is in order. I found though that my goblin can go 5 or 6 tanks on a rayon wick. I try not to get to that point though, nothing worse than starting to get a burnt taste 3 toots in on a just filled tank.

I'm enjoying the Native Wicks, on a RY4 type (lighter in color) juice the wick seems to last about a week and a half before it starts tasting a bit miff. On Boba's or HHV Temtation on the other hand, it gunks up the wick after 3 days, then its rewick time for me. All in all loving the Native Wicks, a great step up from the regular (Dove) cotton I was a slave to.

I generally rewick after about 6ml of juice. Doesn't matter which wicking material because gunk starts building up on the coil and a dry burn is in order. I found though that my goblin can go 5 or 6 tanks on a rayon wick. I try not to get to that point though, nothing worse than starting to get a burnt taste 3 toots in on a just filled tank.

Do you get gunk build up on the flavorless? I would think it's the flavoring causing the gunk

I think I need to revisit Koh Gen Doh and Native Wicks again... just need to get over missing that awesome taste of the Rayon that I am so used to in the beginning!

Do you get gunk build up on the flavorless? I would think it's the flavoring causing the gunk

Yeah you do not nearly as much as flavoured juice though. NET's are the worst when it comes to gunk.
If I remember I will take a pic of fresh and then 6ml use coil and wick tomorrow.

I am still on ekowool for my menthol juices. Burn the ekowool till white hot. Wrap a spaced coil around it. Dry burn it. Juice it up. Burn again for a while. Still takes a while for it to settle in. After that can stay with the wick and coil for about 90ml to 120ml juice with an occasional dry burn before replacing.

From the above you can see that I am a lazy with rewiking although the initial setup of the ekowool takes a long time.

I am still on ekowool for my menthol juices. Burn the ekowool till white hot. Wrap a spaced coil around it. Dry burn it. Juice it up. Burn again for a while. Still takes a while for it to settle in. After that can stay with the wick and coil for about 90ml to 120ml juice with an occasional dry burn before replacing.

From the above you can see that I am a lazy with rewiking although the initial setup of the ekowool takes a long time.

That's very impressive!
You say with your menthol juices, how does the ekowool hold up for other juices?

That's very impressive!
You say with your menthol juices, how does the ekowool hold up for other juices?

They work similar with the the tobaccos and fruit juices. Don't know about desert type juices as I can't stand them. Tried hhv, tarks, witches brew, hurricane vapor and alien visions and they work the same except you need to dry burn more often.

@johan will be able to give more feedback on some of the tobaccos

This is exactly the reason I use Rayon less frequently...it starts out amazing, but the dropoff in taste happens way too quickly for me - and as I tend to use tanks most of the time, changing wicks more than once per day drives me a bit crazy :(

So I've come to the following arrangement: Japanese Cotton for the RTAs (lasts pretty well for at least a full day, and I can push 2-3 if the need arises) and Rayon for the RDAs (which is very quick and painless to re-wick, and receiving less use they last long enough).

In my experience the Japanese Cotton is very close to Rayon for flavour (takes a moment to settle in though) - and with some juices it's even better than Rayon ;)

This is my happy place of white fuzzy-ness :D

Yip, I'm also a Ekowool convert and agree the key is to burn the hell out of it first. In my opinion very convenient as mine last approx 3 months with regular dry burning.

This is exactly the reason I use Rayon less frequently...it starts out amazing, but the dropoff in taste happens way too quickly for me - and as I tend to use tanks most of the time, changing wicks more than once per day drives me a bit crazy :(

So I've come to the following arrangement: Japanese Cotton for the RTAs (lasts pretty well for at least a full day, and I can push 2-3 if the need arises) and Rayon for the RDAs (which is very quick and painless to re-wick, and receiving less use they last long enough).

In my experience the Japanese Cotton is very close to Rayon for flavour (takes a moment to settle in though) - and with some juices it's even better than Rayon ;)

This is my happy place of white fuzzy-ness :D

100% Spot on @free3dom! It's the "takes a moment to settle in" that kills cotton for me... compared to the instantaneous perfect vape on Rayon.

@Rob Fisher

I think you are in the extreme minority of people that change wicks a few times a day
I think it has to do with you knowing your Tropical Ice so well and always striving for that perfect crisp vape.

I think wicking is a complex topic. Depends on personal taste and the juice involved - as well as the device and the power.

FYI - I have found Rayon better for the menthol juices - to my taste. I can go through about 4 tankfuls of my "Strawberry Ice" in the Lemo before changing. Another problem is that the change is so gradual that one doesnt really notice it easily.

I'm using Ekowool + ugly ribbon coil 97% of the time, and just live with the initial settling time - don't think I will use anything else again.

Yip, a very good idea. As you know I love ceramic wicking, which lasts me around 3 months. On trips I always take a spare coiled and wicked atomizer as a backup.

@Andre Links to info around ceramic wicks please:think:

Back