In Search of the Perfect Wick

I have eyes on this thread since I am also one of those who change my cotton 3 times a day!
Looking for something that will last at least a day or two.

Just make sure it is genuine ekowool. My buddy gave me some of his the other day and what ever brand it was crackled when I bent it a bit. Sounded like thin fibreglass breaking :eek:

Shoe @Rob Fisher, I'm still use the Rayen I got in the post from "wie's jou pappa" last year. And I gave away all but 3 strands and been wicking my and Jaco's vapes.

Its almost finished now, but will still last a month.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428440788.126940.jpg

Send while vaping on the Reo mini Thor

Shoe @Rob Fisher, I'm still use the Rayen I got in the post from "wie's jou pappa" last year. And I gave away all but 3 strands and been wicking my and Jaco's vapes.

Its almost finished now, but will still last a month.

View attachment 24740

Send while vaping on the Reo mini Thor

Remind me and I'll bring you some to VapeCon! ;-)

Rayon is pretty nice, yesterday i tried Koh Gen Doh for the first time and i was pretty impressed..this stuff wicks super fast!
And the form factor makes it really easy to cut perfect strips too...very little wastage.

Currently trying the small pads of unscented layered organic cotton from Dischem, looks just like Japanese OC, and one cut whicks just right with minimal waste to cut off.
Using it on a Goliath, changing it every other day, just to get whicking down to a fine art, and its dirt cheap compared to what vape shops sell
Flavour is the same, clouds amazing, lung hits intense, so cant complain

Brand is 'SOFTI' Cotton Pads
'Square, Pure and gentle, Flourescence free, 100% Cotton'
80 pieces, for a grand total of R12.95
In the pic they are the small squares, next to a sheet of store bought Organic Cotton @ R10 a piece! They seem to be even in layers too, equally thick.
Got it from Dischem Victory park, with loads of other cottons that I'll still have a look at trying, but this one being in a transparent bag I knew what I was buying and it looked just like the Vaping shop's sheets, just smaller squares.

20150514_190541_zpskcal8ydu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Next I'll try the sterile organic pads from the first aid section, they come in all sorts of sizes, and being meant for wounds should be quite good, additive free, and also in layered sheets.

Brand is 'SOFTI' Cotton Pads
'Square, Pure and gentle, Flourescence free, 100% Cotton'
80 pieces, for a grand total of R12.95
In the pic they are the small squares, next to a sheet of store bought Organic Cotton @ R10 a piece! They seem to be even in layers too, equally thick.
Got it from Dischem Victory park, with loads of other cottons that I'll still have a look at trying, but this one being in a transparent bag I knew what I was buying and it looked just like the Vaping shop's sheets, just smaller squares.

20150514_190541_zpskcal8ydu.jpg

Thanks for the feedback @Redeemer
Appreciated

What juice are you vaping on this wick? And how does it taste compared to other wicks you have tried?
Can you tell any subtle differences?

Only been using it in the Goliath
Any juices, from Ambrisia to Mother's Milk, and an assortment of dark Bombies juices...
Taste is comparable to the organic cotton sheets, nice and strong flavour even after a few days of vaping, and can be up to 2 tanks per evening!
Only time it backfired was when I had a go setting the Sigelei on 100w, which burnt the whicks (its a dual coil deck) and my lungs in one drag!
Immediate rewhick and a litre of water to cool my throat down... lol

Hey all - interesting thread and I hope more members share their views on this. Here is my 2c

I also re-wick my Reo regularly, more than I thought I would before I got it, but not as much as you @Rob Fisher - on weekends twice per day, and during the week once a day, but only because I'm lazy at or after work so I do it before I leave in the morning. Twice would be better. Three times would be first prize!

I've been experimenting with Koh Gen Do, Native Wicks, and Rayon - on various devices.

Native Wicks - I don't like. At all. Initially I thought they were on par with KGD in terms of flavour. Maybe they are. But in a fairly short time I start to get a pretty nasty taste. 2-3 tanks in usually. Hard to describe but definitely seems worst with caramel and dessert vapes. Tastes like something inedible has been cooked. Some others have noticed something similar, but evidently we are in the minority. I won't be buying this again or even finishing what I have left.

Koh Gen Do - This is what I've used the most. I like the flavour and performance, especially with tanks/RTA's. Flavour is good imo for all types of juice (but I don't do menthol, so can't comment on that). When I got a Reo, this was naturally the wick I chose to start with.

Rayon - I first tried this with a RDA and didn't think it was as good as KGD in terms of flavour. Tried it in a tank and thought the same. It tasted more sharp than KGD, which for some is a good thing but for me I found KGD smoother and slightly better flavour. Then I tried it with a RM2 and was pretty surprised at how good the flavour was. Maybe even better than KGD. Tried it in a Cyclops and couldn't really tell the difference from cotton tbh. Then in a Cyclone - good lord! Noticeably better than KGD. In any dripper I've tried. By miles. But I do feel the need to re-wick more often than with the cotton.

So I guess my findings relates more to device and atty than to juice flavour profile. All three had good performance in terms of vapour production (although I'm not a cloud blower and never go below about .5 ohms so haven't pushed any of them).

Right now my happy place is KGD in a single coil RTA (use 10% of the time), and Rayon in the Cyclone (rest of the time). Also good in the RM2, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't keen to sell the RM2 and Cyclops and get another Cyclone instead. Mine has a slightly larger air hole and I am very keen to get one with the stock size hole to try.

Hey all - interesting thread and I hope more members share their views on this. Here is my 2c

I also re-wick my Reo regularly, more than I thought I would before I got it, but not as much as you @Rob Fisher - on weekends twice per day, and during the week once a day, but only because I'm lazy at or after work so I do it before I leave in the morning. Twice would be better. Three times would be first prize!

I've been experimenting with Koh Gen Do, Native Wicks, and Rayon - on various devices.

Native Wicks - I don't like. At all. Initially I thought they were on par with KGD in terms of flavour. Maybe they are. But in a fairly short time I start to get a pretty nasty taste. 2-3 tanks in usually. Hard to describe but definitely seems worst with caramel and dessert vapes. Tastes like something inedible has been cooked. Some others have noticed something similar, but evidently we are in the minority. I won't be buying this again or even finishing what I have left.

Koh Gen Do - This is what I've used the most. I like the flavour and performance, especially with tanks/RTA's. Flavour is good imo for all types of juice (but I don't do menthol, so can't comment on that). When I got a Reo, this was naturally the wick I chose to start with.

Rayon - I first tried this with a RDA and didn't think it was as good as KGD in terms of flavour. Tried it in a tank and thought the same. It tasted more sharp than KGD, which for some is a good thing but for me I found KGD smoother and slightly better flavour. Then I tried it with a RM2 and was pretty surprised at how good the flavour was. Maybe even better than KGD. Tried it in a Cyclops and couldn't really tell the difference from cotton tbh. Then in a Cyclone - good lord! Noticeably better than KGD. In any dripper I've tried. By miles. But I do feel the need to re-wick more often than with the cotton.

So I guess my findings relates more to device and atty than to juice flavour profile. All three had good performance in terms of vapour production (although I'm not a cloud blower and never go below about .5 ohms so haven't pushed any of them).

Right now my happy place is KGD in a single coil RTA (use 10% of the time), and Rayon in the Cyclone (rest of the time). Also good in the RM2, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't keen to sell the RM2 and Cyclops and get another Cyclone instead. Mine has a slightly larger air hole and I am very keen to get one with the stock size hole to try.

Thanks for your detailed feedback @KB_314
Most interesting to hear how other people perceive the wicks

I havent tried the KGD much at all, but I can definitely pick up the sharper and more crisp taste with Rayon on my menthol fruity juices versus organic cotton balls

Also, you made a very good point. Some may prefer the crisper sharper nature of Rayon while others may not. And i suppose its juice dependent too.

Your finding of Rayon on the Cyclone seems to be consistent with @Rob Fisher !

Where can I get Rayon in SA? And Ceramic wicks?

Where can I get Rayon in SA? And Ceramic wicks?

Some of the vendors stock it from time to time but a quick check of two vendors I know was stocking it are out of stock. Best is to ask this question in the "Who Has Stock" thread in the Vendor section!

Great report, thank you. Only thing you still need to try is Ekowool (think VapeClub stocks).

Back