New Steep Method : Shake & Bake :)

Chukin'Vape

Flavour Ninja
LV

Awards
So yah, trying a new steep method - its a hybrid from a few other methods i've seen online.. The idea is simple, you shake the kak out of your juice after you mixed it - it almost needs to look milky. Then here comes the twist, normally I leave it without the cap on for 36 hours - and then again with the cap on for 36 hours. Depending on the mix, a have a fairly decent vape after that - the more complex desserts vapes need to stay closed for a few more days.

However I'm going to magalies tomorrow for a dirty AF weekend - #hopefully - and simply dont have the steep time.

I've been tempted to do this, however never got too it. I have this "medicine" light that I use for muscle injuries - and it bakes without burning. I have a thermometer, and it reads 37 degrees after an hour of this - sooooo yeah me thinks it might work.

Will shake it once more before I sleep, and close the caps this time. #SHAKEANDBAKEBABY

I will do a reveal tomorrow morning on my fruity mixes if I feel it made a diff.
upload_2016-9-29_19-8-24.png

upload_2016-9-29_19-9-19.png

Should work. My juiced are vape ready after 4 hours. Reciped with nuts and custards take 8 hours.
The method I use also involves shaking and heating but also stirring.

What I do :
1) Mix up a DIY batch in my 250ml glass beaker. and
2) Place it on my hotplate/stirrer. Both functions active.
3) When I see the first sign of steam then I turn off my hotplate and continue stirring for almost 4 hours.
4) Pour in 50ml bottles but I "Bill Haley" each. (i.e. shake rattle and roll)
5) Fill the washbasin with warm water and let the bottles stand in it till ejuice is clear.
6) Vape the crap out of it. :)

Not a pro at DIY but I heard somewhere that a juice shouldn't breath for longer than a couple of hours due to the oxidation of the nicotine. Is breathing yours for 3 days still come out fine?

There are quite allot of tests done with breathing and most people seem to agree that only certain juices should be left open to breathe with it having a negative effect on flavour for the other 90%

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me, I just received my my first batch of DIY goodies, just the very basics and two concentrates as this is my first attempt so wanted to start out with a simple 2 concentrate recipe and see if it comes out ok.

So I got some PG, VG, NIC and TFA strawberry and TFA Vanilla bean ice cream, so will obviously be making the most simple of Mustard Milk.

I will do it tonight and am a bit concerned about how to steep it. SO once done mixing I should shake it and then? I dont have lights and all that fancy business, so planning to let it steep by just waiting.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me, I just received my my first batch of DIY goodies, just the very basics and two concentrates as this is my first attempt so wanted to start out with a simple 2 concentrate recipe and see if it comes out ok.

So I got some PG, VG, NIC and TFA strawberry and TFA Vanilla bean ice cream, so will obviously be making the most simple of Mustard Milk.

I will do it tonight and am a bit concerned about how to steep it. SO once done mixing I should shake it and then? I dont have lights and all that fancy business, so planning to let it steep by just waiting.

Shake it then just put it in a dark cupboard or something - thats it. And shake it every day after that. Mustard Milk doesn't take too long to steep 2 or 3 days and you can start vaping it but obviously does get better toward the 2 week mark

Shake it then just put it in a dark cupboard or something - thats it. And shake it every day after that. Mustard Milk doesn't take too long to steep 2 or 3 days and you can start vaping it but obviously does get better toward the 2 week mark

I have read and heard that you should shake immediately after mixing and not again after that, and you should just flip the bottle a couple of times everyday. Also after the initial shake, how long do I have to leave the cap off for?

Should work. My juiced are vape ready after 4 hours. Reciped with nuts and custards take 8 hours.
The method I use also involves shaking and heating but also stirring.

What I do :
1) Mix up a DIY batch in my 250ml glass beaker. and
2) Place it on my hotplate/stirrer. Both functions active.
3) When I see the first sign of steam then I turn off my hotplate and continue stirring for almost 4 hours.
4) Pour in 50ml bottles but I "Bill Haley" each. (i.e. shake rattle and roll)
5) Fill the washbasin with warm water and let the bottles stand in it till ejuice is clear.
6) Vape the crap out of it. :)

Yeah, i've also decided on the magnetic stirrer - this method was just a test. It did work, 12 hours later my fruity juices are Fresh AF. But yest M-stirrer is the way to go. Also vaping the shit out of my melonade this morning. nomnomnom

I have read and heard that you should shake immediately after mixing and not again after that, and you should just flip the bottle a couple of times everyday. Also after the initial shake, how long do I have to leave the cap off for?

There are lots of steeping methods that work for different mixes. I would say for Mustard Milk don't leave the cap off. Mix your juice, put the cap on and shake it then put it in the cupboard, then shake or flip the bottle whichever you prefer (I'm guessing you read flip instead of shake to avoid oxidation of the nicotine ?) every day. Remember that leaving the cap off will let flavour aromas escape, this is generally only done when a juice contains alcohol OR it has some concentrate that's just overwhelming without letting it breathe

Not a pro at DIY but I heard somewhere that a juice shouldn't breath for longer than a couple of hours due to the oxidation of the nicotine. Is breathing yours for 3 days still come out fine?

Look i'm no expert, been DIY'ing for 2 years now - and i've tried many methods. This was an actual experiment that was done, check it out.

There are lots of steeping methods that work for different mixes. I would say for Mustard Milk don't leave the cap off. Mix your juice, put the cap on and shake it then put it in the cupboard, then shake or flip the bottle whichever you prefer (I'm guessing you read flip instead of shake to avoid oxidation of the nicotine ?) every day. Remember that leaving the cap off will let flavour aromas escape, this is generally only done when a juice contains alcohol OR it has some concentrate that's just overwhelming without letting it breathe

Very well responded to @VapeDude, and makes perfect sense, Thank you buddy. So then I think I'm ready to go. If this works I am planning to make a big concentrate purchase and hopefully get a few tasty DIY juices going.

Is the mustard milk decent though, its obviously just the guinea pig but must at least be somewhat tasty?

Very well responded to @VapeDude, and makes perfect sense, Thank you buddy. So then I think I'm ready to go. If this works I am planning to make a big concentrate purchase and hopefully get a few tasty DIY juices going.

Is the mustard milk decent though, its obviously just the guinea pig but must at least be somewhat tasty?

Some people are crazy over Mustard Milk, but I'm one of the people who isn't. I do have a weird taste for juice though and tend to prefer the more complex recipes. Give it a try though, if you like it then its a winner cos it only requires 2 concentrates and you can make a ton of it at low cost

Hi all,

Look this this video as a start - but there are so many methods, its fun experimenting. Keep at it, it takes time to find the recipe's you like!!!

Look this this video as a start - but there are so many methods, its fun experimenting. Keep at it, it takes time to find the recipe's you like!!!

@Chukin'Vape So I just watched the video.

I think anyone who mixes will agree with me that the tests he has done are a bit silly in terms of when he actually tested the final product.

I.E he tests a shake and breathe that has been steeping for 3 days vs a frother mix that has just been mixed. Whats the point in that ?

I think the video would have been allot better if he tested the mixes at weekly increments and seen how they evolved and which got to the desired product 1st AND how long it stayed there, because I've seen a video where a hot water bathed juice got to desired state quicker but actually started losing flavour at the 2 week mark

@Chukin'Vape So I just watched the video.

I think anyone who mixes will agree with me that the tests he has done are a bit silly in terms of when he actually tested the final product.

I.E he tests a shake and breathe that has been steeping for 3 days vs a frother mix that has just been mixed. Whats the point in that ?

I think the video would have been allot better if he tested the mixes at weekly increments and seen how they evolved and which got to the desired product 1st AND how long it stayed there, because I've seen a video where a hot water bathed juice got to desired state quicker but actually started losing flavour at the 2 week mark

It is a bit silly (Bill Nye Science Guy White Coat), but there is also some value in the video. It weeds out some of the less effective methods / urban legends out there. I'll try shake and bake with the cap on - exactly the same time + recipe, and give you an idea what had the most success in this scenario. (1 Fruity, 1 Creamy Custard). Im planning to get a hotplate magnetic stirrer - but considering your take on this, it needs to be low heat and the beaker needs to be closed off while steeping overnight.

Thanks for the insight.

What also works is mix it, shake it up for about 3 minutes. Get a bowl, add some hot tap water, not boiling water, just hot tap water and let it sit in there until the water is about room temp, rinse and repeat about 4 - 5 times and shake in between bowls and let it stand overnight. Next morning should be good to go.

What also works is mix it, shake it up for about 3 minutes. Get a bowl, add some hot tap water, not boiling water, just hot tap water and let it sit in there until the water is about room temp, rinse and repeat about 4 - 5 times and shake in between bowls and let it stand overnight. Next morning should be good to go.

WOW that's an awesome tip, Thanks @Caveman will give this ago at some point for sure. appreciate it man

Will be dusting off the baby bottle warmer tonight and put that to the test, since it will moderate the temperature at a steady temperature to what ever you set it at and is not that power hungry.

Merely keeping the juice at summer temps is not going to speed up the steep all that much. My bottles of DIY are kept at 32 degrees constant by a reptile heating pad and it takes a week for the first ones to be close to ready. Warm water, 'baking' and so on really only speeds it up the teeniest bit. The more heat while steeping the less definition in the final results IMO. It could be a placebo effect but I really do not find much benefit in speed steeping methods myself.

Merely keeping the juice at summer temps is not going to speed up the steep all that much. My bottles of DIY are kept at 32 degrees constant by a reptile heating pad and it takes a week for the first ones to be close to ready. Warm water, 'baking' and so on really only speeds it up the teeniest bit. The more heat while steeping the less definition in the final results IMO. It could be a placebo effect but I really do not find much benefit in speed steeping methods myself.
There is no quick steep method that will really cut down on time significantly, but it does help. Hot water helps the initial mix quite a bit, making it nicer sooner. Not as good as it gets but better. I find the slow cooker works quite well. In the end time is best, doesn't hurt to help it along a bit ;)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

There is no quick steep method that will really cut down on time significantly, but it does help. Hot water helps the initial mix quite a bit, making it nicer sooner. Not as good as it gets but better. I find the slow cooker works quite well. In the end time is best, doesn't hurt to help it along a bit ;)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
I got a great tip from Zeki (owner of Pompous Pom and Nom De Plume). 4 hours in an ultrasonic cleaner and it is ready to go. Not exactly same as a good natural steep (ALL his juices steep 6 weeks for market no tricks there trust me) but it ends up being a good ball-park result. In my opinion it tastes a little raw and thin BUT a helluva lot better than just raw!!! Most vape shops have one to clean atties etc have a talk with your local and see if you can't drop a 100ml bottle in their cleaner to check it out.

I agree heat (or rather warmth) is quite essential at the beginning stages. Especially max VG. I like to keep it warm util all bubbles from the mixing have risen and popped. Just cold and it can stay cloudy for DAYS.

I don't need a speed steeping trick, I need a speed vaping trick. When I started DIY, I was about two weeks ahead of the curve, i.e. if I mixed a juice, I would need to vape it about two weeks later. That has now extended out to about three months. So my problem is not whether the flavours will have steeped properly, it's whether there will be any flavour left, particularly with TFA Strawberry Ripe. :p

Back