Old enough to know better
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
Would like to hear opinions and tips wicking w/ rayon

Kev, I only use rayon.

Get it into the coil nice and tight.

Sent from iPhone

You will hate it if you use too little and get dry hits, cause then the dry hits just don't go away.
Pack it is as tight as possible, and you will use nothing else again...

I've only ever used organic cotton, and japanese cotton.... is there a substantial difference in flavour compared to organic cotton?

Also use it quite tight but not overly tight where it has to be forced through the coil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only ever used organic cotton, and japanese cotton.... is there a substantial difference in flavour compared to organic cotton?

I use both Jap and Rayon. But I find myself grabbing the Rayon first and foremost.

I wouldn't say overall the flavour is MUCH better Rayon, but it is with certain flavours.
Rayon is more durable.

I use both Jap and Rayon. But I find myself grabbing the Rayon first and foremost.

I wouldn't say overall the flavour is MUCH better Rayon, but it is with certain flavours.
Rayon is more durable.

Thanks for the info dude... I'll try get my hands on some rayon this weekend and give it a go ;)

Kev, I only use rayon.

Get it into the coil nice and tight.

Sent from iPhone
I have some on order, should be here any day and from the responses given I'm looking forward to trying it.

Tried every other wicking material and for me nothing comes close to the crispness of Rayon for my Menthol Juices!

Hi @UnholyMunk

I find the Rayon is better for my menthol juices. It gives me a crisper "sharper" flavour, which I prefer for the fruity menthol vapes.

But for my tobaccoes I definitely prefer cotton. Either Dischem organic cotton balls or the Japanese Cotton pads. Cant tell much difference between these two on my tobaccoes but versus Rayon I find the flavour is richer and "rounder". @Yiannaki also did some excellent testing on another thread and said the cotton was more "earthy" for tobaccoes. My tastebuds agree with that.

But wick choice is a very personal thing and its not always easy to tell the difference.

Hi @UnholyMunk

I find the Rayon is better for my menthol juices. It gives me a crisper "sharper" flavour, which I prefer for the fruity menthol vapes.

But for my tobaccoes I definitely prefer cotton. Either Dischem organic cotton balls or the Japanese Cotton pads. Cant tell much difference between these two on my tobaccoes but versus Rayon I find the flavour is richer and "rounder". @Yiannaki also did some excellent testing on another thread and said the cotton was more "earthy" for tobaccoes. My tastebuds agree with that.

But wick choice is a very personal thing and its not always easy to tell the difference.
Silver, you've given me some things to consider and play around with,a good thing as it gives me things to do since my retirement last year

Silver, you've given me some things to consider and play around with,a good thing as it gives me things to do since my retirement last year

Glad to hear I can be of service

This is definitely a time consuming task ;-)

Hi @UnholyMunk

I too found a crispness or sharpness to my flavours with rayon @Silver. At least I now know I didn't imagine it. I must say the rayon vs cotton question has been on my mind for a while. Glad to read the opinions here

I received my rayon the other day and have to say I'm pleased over all.l'd say the flavor is an upgrade from cotton imo.

Hi @UnholyMunk

I love the fact that people experience their vape in their own way and that no way is explicitly correct. I prefer Rayon for my Tobacco but a thicker juice like a creamy vanilla custard is where I would turn to cotton (seems to hold my juice better).

This all relates to REO vaping, dual coils, always in the region of 0.8ohm.

Ever heard of the placebo effect? Cotton preferences are heavily influenced by this. What most people don't realise is that organic anything has nothing to do with post-harvesting processing like bleaching and whatnot. It is all about the cultivating methods used, which is still a hotly debated subject. In short, organic cotton can still be treated with bleaching agents and yet be technically organic. The efficiency of wicking has more to do with the orientation and density of the fibers in the wick which will in turn effect the capillary action of the wick. This has nothing to do with how it is grown or processed but rather how you construct the wick. Bleaching agents however will effect the taste of the vape. Source: I am a biotechnology masters student.

Ever heard of the placebo effect? Cotton preferences are heavily influenced by this. What most people don't realise is that organic anything has nothing to do with post-harvesting processing like bleaching and whatnot. It is all about the cultivating methods used, which is still a hotly debated subject. In short, organic cotton can still be treated with bleaching agents and yet be technically organic. The efficiency of wicking has more to do with the orientation and density of the fibers in the wick which will in turn effect the capillary action of the wick. This has nothing to do with how it is grown or processed but rather how you construct the wick. Bleaching agents however will effect the taste of the vape. Source: I am a biotechnology masters student.
I just think the rayon produces better flavor.It gives me that chalk on a blackboard feeling when handling though.LoL

I love the fact that people experience their vape in their own way and that no way is explicitly correct. I prefer Rayon for my Tobacco but a thicker juice like a creamy vanilla custard is where I would turn to cotton (seems to hold my juice better).

This all relates to REO vaping, dual coils, always in the region of 0.8ohm.

Agreed @BigB
Its a very personal thing. I think the main thing is to try the different wicks out on the different juices and see what one prefers

Thanks for the comments @Tom. F
Most interesting

No prob Silver. That been said, I agree that it's a very personal thing. It doesn't always make sense why something tastes better than another but somehow it does and that I suppose is both the curse and beauty of vaping. Have a good vape filled Saturday brothers

Have to say, I've tried it in my Nuppin and not really a fan. Was hyped to get some and then anti-climax. I went back to organic cotton wicked very loosely.

I read this thread and decided to give it a few more tries packing it tightly. A few rounds of doing this got the same results for me. Flavour fades very early on to me, not even half a 6ml bottle. By contrast my organic cotton goes through the full bottle at full flavour. Certainly does start of more crispy as mentioned but doesn't last to me and I actually don't like my Ambrosia to be crispy as that.

It certainly seems more durable but I throw my coils away after every bottle and dry burn anyway so I just feel bad to throw away a wick that looks brand new although with the flavour diminishing the way it does, I'll have to throw 2 away per bottle. I don't mind changing batteries half way through a bottle but rewicking is a bit much for me. Rather prep all gear at night when the family is asleep.

Just a personal a experience that seems different to others. Think I'm the only one, lol

Last edited:
Back