Show us your Builds - User Made Tank Coils (Protanks, Nautilus Etc.)

If you wanna go less ohms then you need less wraps dude. If you want more wraps with less ohms then you need to lower gauge wire.

I used vapors toolbox for my calculations, 28g needs 8 or 9 wraps at that diameter to hit 1.5 ohm

Sent from my S4 LTE using my finger

I used vapors toolbox for my calculations, 28g needs 8 or 9 wraps at that diameter to hit 1.5 ohm

What did you insert as the length of the legs?

I took the length the app gave me, perhaps i went a bit too long

Yeah, measure the length with the cup then make the necessary adjustments.

I wonder, if you go larger diameter if you do not reach a point where some juice inside the coil never gets vaporized? Feels to me if you go too big it will start to become less efficient.

I wonder, if you go larger diameter if you do not reach a point where some juice inside the coil never gets vaporized? Feels to me if you go too big it will start to become less efficient.
I think that is possible if it is not wicked properly. If the wick is thick enough I don't there would be an issue. This is just personal opinion, no science involved.

Normally if that happens it will tend to leak out the bottom of the base, I've been thus far through 2 tanks and had no leaks, flavour is just getting better as the coil breaks in.

For my next build I'm going to try the same diameter but go for less ohms

Great question indeed

I have wondered what the relationship is between the diameter of the coil and the vape experience.

I know we tend to use 1.5mm. But what would the difference be if you used 2mm with slightly fewer wraps to get the same resistance?

I recall @Tom a while ago said something about feeling that the 1.5mm was too small so it can "choke" the cotton. Obviously if its too big then @Matthee's comment comes into play.

Anyone done any tests on this or seen anything online to this effect?

Great question indeed

I have wondered what the relationship is between the diameter of the coil and the vape experience.

I know we tend to use 1.5mm. But what would the difference be if you used 2mm with slightly fewer wraps to get the same resistance?

I recall @Tom a while ago said something about feeling that the 1.5mm was too small so it can "choke" the cotton. Obviously if its too big then @Matthee's comment comes into play.

Anyone done any tests on this or seen anything online to this effect?

Well apart from the wick consideration methinks a thinner coil of the same resistance reaches a higher temperature and gets there quicker, thus generally a more aggressive vape.

I hear you @Reinvanhardt
So i suppose for more "aggression" one goes thinner until wicking issues set in
Perhaps 1.5mm is the sweet spot then

I did it WOOHOO !!!!!!!

Twisted 32g Kanthal, 5 wraps at 1.0ohm all this in a mPT2

uploadfromtaptalk1398683344454.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398683354549.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398683367691.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398683377461.jpg

Nice one doc

Sent from deep down in the Aqua using Tapatalk

Geez you've got good eyesight @Dr Evil or are you using a microscope? :D looks good though

Just my 4 eyes @johan :)

It was my first time trying the twisted coils, nobody builds it in a protank so i thought what the hell.

I know it's going to eat the rubber insulator but at least I can now gauge how many wraps I need to give me about 1.5ohm

i build twisted in protanks. :) and now i realise i haven't posted pics for the latest one. to be fair it looks a bit rough. i'll nab my mates fancy nokia and take a pic when he gets back from shopping :)

i build twisted in protanks. :) and now i realise i haven't posted pics for the latest one. to be fair it looks a bit rough. i'll nab my mates fancy nokia and take a pic when he gets back from shopping :)
I remember you were the first but not feasible to do so..

Sent from deep down in the Aqua using Tapatalk

I'm aching for an RTA now :(

she vapes very nice. still takes a tic to heat up. busy testing an older but still awesome coil to see if it still leaks, then i will rewick both and do a coil vs coil test to compare cloud production, throat hit and flavour :)

no matter how fancy coils we build for the protanks, i think they have a performance ceiling. twisting, not twisting, as long as you build a nice tight coil in there you will make the tank zoom. but eventually it stops becoming just making a coil and starts on that wonderfull journey of fiddling with wires. functional art ftw 8--)

Wow @Dr Evil
Well done on that coil
How does it vape?

guys i need some assistance

im rebuilding a protank1 coil for a friend, coil came out to 1.5ohms (which i was aiming for as hes using an egot battery) put in cotton, but then the draw was VERY tight.

reopened the coil, put in less cotton and juice was flowing into his mouth when pulling

what am i doing wrong? is the cotton the issue? i used more or less the same amount i used when rewicking my russian

guys i need some assistance

im rebuilding a protank1 coil for a friend, coil came out to 1.5ohms (which i was aiming for as hes using an egot battery) put in cotton, but then the draw was VERY tight.

reopened the coil, put in less cotton and juice was flowing into his mouth when pulling

what am i doing wrong? is the cotton the issue? i used more or less the same amount i used when rewicking my russian
Can you send a pic?

With the protank 1, if you are getting juice in the mouth it is usually because the tank is not sealing properly, is the rubber top grommet that sits on of the stem still on or did you take it off?

Back