Successful Atlantis Rebuild - Finally!

Dassie

cause it's friggin awesome!
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
I've tried various ones of these (all the youtube ones including re-using the coil and creating a new vertical coil) . The results were disappointing, mostly because it never really wicks the same as the stock coil again). My only issue with the Atlantis has been the fact that I cannot rebuild it.. But I found one that is works for me. So, here goes:

Start by disassembling the coil. Don't have pics for this but basically, you pull out the metal bit, the rubber bit, the little round sieve and the old coil and wicking. Be careful not to remove the lining on the side (for the moment).

Now about that lining. This might be the only tricky bit. Remove it carefully so as not to tear it. I used a small precision screwdriver and just teased it out. Now, cut two smaller pieces from it. There are two open holes and two covered by a metal bit. Insert the smaller pieces back behind these metal bits. I cut them to be the same width as the metal bits. After teasing them back in, you will see it from the outside. The open holes must remain open.

Now we build the coil. I did 4 wraps of 26g around a 2.4 screwdriver to give me something just north of 0.5ohms. This is not a tight coil. Tried that and got dry hits. Looks like this:

20150120_203633.jpg

Please note that I left legs on that. Then the coil goes back in with the legs pointing down (direction the rubber and metal bit came out of). I kept it in the right position by putting the 2.4mm screwdriver through again. Leave it there for the moment.

20150120_203742.jpg

Next grab the pliers and bend the one leg over the side of the casing and snip it off with your precision snipper jobby. Then we insert the rubber bit (@free3dom assures me it's called a grommit :)) back in, making sure the remaining leg goes through the middle of it.

20150120_203904.jpg

Insert the metal bit in, ignoring any protests from the wire :). Once in place, bend the leg away and snip it off.

20150120_204008.jpg

Now we can swing the coil around so we look down the open end. I used another screwdriver to make sure the coil was centered. The we can remove the 2.4mm screwdriver from the coil and prepare the wick.

20150120_204136.jpg

I used a normal piece of organic cotton. Roll it tight enough to go through the holes and the coil. Then snip it off. In this pick there are still some sticking out the sides but after juicing it up, I snipped it as close to the holes as I could.

20150120_204454.jpg

Next, juice her up and you're ready to go!

As for performance, she vapes as least as good as my new coil. Flavour is great and cloud is better. Been vaping at around 27w, which is my happy place with the Atlantis and 2 tanks in, still no dry hits. That said, it did take around 10 good puffs to run her in.

I might also mention, that I've had no spitting! And - liking the really open draw of the Atlantis - I think this is more open (open'er?).

I have one concern and that is about the longevity of the rubber bit. Will keep an eye on that because I'm not sure it was designed for the direct heat.

But a fun project :rock:

PS: IMPORTANT: Don't put the little round sieve bit back. There is a very good chance that could short out your build!

PPS: I noticed that when the juice levels gets down to the top of the little cutouts at the bottom of the coil housing as you look at the tank, it doesn't feed the juice so well anymore. I might need some pressure to give a good continuous feed? Just be aware. I did however notice a similar trend with the stock coil.

Last edited:
Nice job @Dassie :rock:

Looks very similar to rebuilding the old Kanger coils, only easier ;)
The rubber grommet should last a few rebuilds - even longer than the Kanger ones that were much thinner :)

Nice job @Dassie :rock:

Looks very similar to rebuilding the old Kanger coils, only easier ;)
The rubber grommet should last a few rebuilds - even longer than the Kanger ones that were much thinner :)
I think I will rotate it, so it melts in different places - should give me even more rebuilds, but I have 7 of these coils, so that should make for a long happy relationship :)

I think I will rotate it, so it melts in different places - should give me even more rebuilds, but I have 7 of these coils, so that should make for a long happy relationship :)

Good idea...those gromets are tough though, should last a long time. I still have one of the first Kanger coils I rebuilt with it's original gromet, and it is only slightly burnt in a few places :D

Once you find a nice reliable re-build method....you never need replacement coils again :rock:
Or, if you are like me, you buy a pack and disassemble + re-coil them immediately :cool:

Also, @free3dom , these things are huge, like you say - they are basically begging to be re-built :)

Good idea...those gromets are tough though, should last a long time. I still have one of the first Kanger coils I rebuilt with it's original gromet, and it is only slightly burnt in a few places :D

Once you find a nice reliable re-build method....you never need replacement coils again :rock:
Or, if you are like me, you buy a pack and disassemble + re-coil them immediately :cool:
I am not quite that hard core yet - think I will suck the life out of them first :-D

Awesome @Dassie :clap:

Im gonna give this a shot in the morning and see how it goes!

Interesting side note - I always have the Atlantis on the full-open airflow setting. I actually found with this build, I went to the one just smaller. More flavour and similar airflow..

Interesting side note - I always have the Atlantis on the full-open airflow setting. I actually found with this build, I went to the one just smaller. More flavour and similar airflow..

That makes sense, the cotton being more airy than the ceramic wick it comes with...no wonder it produces bigger clouds :D

That makes sense, the cotton being more airy than the ceramic wick it comes with...no wonder it produces bigger clouds :D
One thing though - the ceramic can vape at a higher wattage. I can comfortably vape at 30W with a standard coil, and I know some people like it up to 35W, but with this, 27 is my ceiling.

One thing though - the ceramic can vape at a higher wattage. I can comfortably vape at 30W with a standard coil, and I know some people like it up to 35W, but with this, 27 is my ceiling.

That is understandable, but the 27W probably still gives a better vape than 35W with the ceramic :D

I wonder what would happen if you used rayon though - best of both :nerd:

That is understandable, but the 27W probably still gives a better vape than 35W with the ceramic :D

I wonder what would happen if you used rayon though - best of both :nerd:
Aha! Now you're talking. Need to dig through my stash and find some of that :rock:

Just remember to use more rayon, since it shrinks a bit when it gets saturated - otherwise you might have some leaking ;)
Thanks. Will do - I've never used it, but I hear only good things. I don't know why I would have it and not use it.. :eek:

Thanks. Will do - I've never used it, but I hear only good things. I don't know why I would have it and not use it.. :eek:

Me either...but I've watched so many coil build/wicking videos and it seems everyone is using Rayon these days :D
I've also only heard good things...so it might work wonders in rebuilding a commercial coil :)

I'm starting to feel a bit like a vape encyclopedia - all theory and very little experience :rofl:
I haven't tried 90% of the stuff, but I feel like we are old friends :p

As far as I know the cloud chasing okes like cotton for bigger clouds. For me cotton has a bad taste to it, I find rayon gives better flavour, wicks faster and lasts longer. I haven't noticed a big difference in vapour production but then again I'm not doing any hardcore subohming

Me either...but I've watched so many coil build/wicking videos and it seems everyone is using Rayon these days :D
I've also only heard good things...so it might work wonders in rebuilding a commercial coil :)

I'm starting to feel a bit like a vape encyclopedia - all theory and very little experience :rofl:
I haven't tried 90% of the stuff, but I feel like we are old friends :p
I am on the other side of the scale - try everything and know almost nothing :). Half the stuff I think I come up with, was done 15 years ago.. :p

As far as I know the cloud chasing okes like cotton for bigger clouds. For me cotton has a bad taste to it, I find rayon gives better flavour, wicks faster and lasts longer. I haven't noticed a big difference in vapour production but then again I'm not doing any hardcore subohming
I wouldn't even know if cotton tastes bad - it's all I know :). Maybe I shouldn't ruin myself with the good stuff o_O. So far ignorance is bliss!

Back