Update to the SAPO strike (Important Warning)

Yeah it does - unfortunately.
Only the customs portion. Customs forms part of, or has a division within Sapo.
From customs the courier would take it further, and if they dint have a local representative, it is handed to a 3rd party courier on outsource deal.

Now i think customs still operate. I've been speaking to a supervisor there while the rest was on strike.

From customs the courier would take it further, and if they dint have a local representative, it is handed to a 3rd party courier on outsource deal.

Now i think customs still operate. I've been speaking to a supervisor there while the rest was on strike.

Naw, hes right.
USPS (US Postal Service) would hand the package over to SAPO after customs clearance.
The only way to be safe = to your front door.

Yeah - customs is run by SARS not SAPO.

Zuma took up vaping.

All vape gear that been coming in been put one side and is now going to the underground fire bunker at Nkandla. Reports have come in that big vape clouds been coming out the bio hazard filtration chimney.

Zuma took up vaping.

All vape gear that been coming in been put one side and is now going to the underground fire bunker at Nkandla. Reports have come in that big vape clouds been coming out the bio hazard filtration chimney.

This means he has kicked his stinky habit... Which means the money we spent on his fire pool are now a waste

Oh sorry... the stinky habit I was referring to was the amount of SH!T that oke talks and wants us to believe... Unfortunately we have not been relieved of this yet

I have an aerotank stuck at customs since the 11/9. Thought it was a SAPO issue.
Now I don't know anymore.

Jip if i had a idea about the strike i would have never spend that type of cash. Shit happens. I don't think ill ever see the stuff.

I've got in the region of 40k worth of stuff sitting at SAPO :( majority left USA about 6 weeks ago and was never received this side. I can't track them as they never received the local tracking number. Never again... Courier from here on out.

I don't see SAPO folding however, government has a looooong history of bailing out parastatals. SAA, SABC, Sentech... Most of which were put in the situations (including SAPO) from unexplained irregular expenditure.

I've got in the region of 40k worth of stuff sitting at SAPO :( majority left USA about 6 weeks ago and was never received this side. I can't track them as they never received the local tracking number. Never again... Courier from here on out.

I don't see SAPO folding however, government has a looooong history of bailing out parastatals. SAA, SABC, Sentech... Most of which were put in the situations (including SAPO) from unexplained irregular expenditure.

Wow, must be 1 of the biggest expense we have on this forum awaiting parcels form SAPO. I don't know whether to say sorry bro, or to not give up hope.. :-(

They'll have to bail them out. I mean it makes the government look like useless chops if the SA po folds under their reign.

I'm going to have the most steeped bottles of Snake Oil ever... If it's not lost.

Wow some movement finally! I have had a Woodvil stuck in NY since the 16th September! Then all of a sardine it moved today and is now in SA! :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

OK thanks, same as im using. No movement on mine though (since 8th sept)

Glad yours is showing signs of life, hopefully this is a good sign.

Let's hope so... I have 5 REO Woodvils in bound! :eek: And a crap load of Cyclones and Cyclops's from the UK!

The stuff from the Philippines is coming via DHL and they left 15:33 on the 15th October and they arrived in JHB this afternoon at 17:00!!!! Now that is FAST real FAST! :clap::rock:

Let's hope so... I have 5 REO Woodvils in bound! :eek: And a crap load of Cyclones and Cyclops's from the UK!

The stuff from the Philippines is coming via DHL and they left 15:33 on the 15th October and they arrived in JHB this afternoon at 17:00!!!! Now that is FAST real FAST! :clap::rock:

Sheez you really have a wood fetish :) hope they all arrive safe and sound!

DHL for the win!

Does anyone know the real impact this is going to have on the retailers and further stock coming into the country?

I dont know if they would be paying for UPS shipping to get products in as this would be heavily expensive, not?

It's most certainly going to effect the ones that do use shipping options handled by SAPO once it lands.
Thank my lucky stars I stopped using SAPO about two months before the strike happened and switched to reputable couriers.
There's just no way anyone can risk shipments of considerable value handled by SAPO.

Any up and coming vendor (just as I did) would like to go with USPS and SAPO as it shaves a few bucks off the retail price here in SA. Some of them (as I did too when I started out) would even consider smuggling tactics to skip on paying duties and taxes. This unfortunately is not the way forward and with the new things being implemented at customs next year we can make life very difficult for not only ourselves, but damage the reputation of ecigs in SA to a point where they prohibit us from bringing it in to the country at all.... and for what? All in the name of coming in R10 cheaper than a competitor.

Vendors undercutting make it slightly harder for the ones who operate legitimately. It's a small percentage.... but the real damage is not in profits. It's the impression that it leaves behind once the "smuggling" stamp gets put onto nic imports... I'm convinced that if we continue on this "customs friendly" (what the hell does customs friendly mean anyway? It's called smuggling) path, that we're going to create some real issues for ourselves.

This is a topic I've started feeling very strongly about over the last few months and your question posed the perfect opportunity to rant on it for a bit, even if it's not entirely related. It's a thought I wanted to put out there for the guys to consider. Vaping in South Africa needs to stay, even more so once regulations are in place, when 80% of vendors will vanish in a heartbeat. Question is, are we all REALLY doing our part to ensure that it does? Do you really care about your products and the vendors who supply them to you as much as you do about your profit margins? I can tell you now that if US customs caught a company under declaring exports... do you have any idea what kind of penalty they will face?

If a news headline was ever to read: NICOTINE IMPORTS STOPPED DUE TO SO AND SO BEING CAUGHT SMUGGLING... so and so better find a very good place to hide... forever :-D

Last edited:
Back