Update to the SAPO strike (Important Warning)

My 1 package arrived at the Woodstock Post Office. The postwomen just dropped off a card to state that the parcel is too big for them to deliver themselves. I'm really nervous.. Not sure which package it is lol
so there is hope :)

I don't care anymore than SAPO's eejits do @paulph201, I wrote it off as a bad experience, and re-ordered with courier delivery, delivering a couple of projects all at a massive loss - but I do pity the people that really need their parcels.

Last edited:
One of the hubs. Could be either pretoria or jhb
kvk99V8.jpg

At the bottom of that heap is my hd video camera ordered in may.
If it ever gets here, what is the chance of it working...

I call shenanigans on this picture...

I call shenanigans on this picture...
I thought so too initially. But think about it. for 2 months there has been no outbound movement on parcels. Yet the incoming stream just gets bigger and bigger every day.. So where does it all go? Shelves can only go so far.

I understand that - my issue is that it is just some random picture on imgur - there is no way of telling if that is actually a postal hub - or just some rubbish in some random building.

My 1 package arrived at the Woodstock Post Office. The postwomen just dropped off a card to state that the parcel is too big for them to deliver themselves. I'm really nervous.. Not sure which package it is lol
Don't stress, when I get those it normally means just a collection and nothing to pay :D

I understand that - my issue is that it is just some random picture on imgur - there is no way of telling if that is actually a postal hub - or just some rubbish in some random building.
Are you a postal worker?
Just asking :rolleyes:

Nope.

But you can't just post a random picture showing some rubbish in a room and claim that the sky is falling.

This whole situation is much worse than anyone realize.
I am part of a crafting group and the loss of goods and income is huge due to this.
They have even started their own transport service at the same rate as the PO.
Unfortunately its going very slow for us on this side of JHB, but they have from JHB all the way down to the Cape covered and parcels are being delivered :)

From Facebook:

Update on industrial action at some facilities of SA Post Office

Processing of mail items has resumed at a number of facilities of the SA Post Office affected by industrial action. These include the Witspos processing facility in Johannesburg, the Tshwane Mail facility in Pretoria, and the Germiston processing facility on the East Rand.

Although mail processing is not yet at full capacity, we are hopeful that it will be normal by next week.

Postal workers embarked on an illegal strike on 18 August, citing dissatisfaction with the speed of appointing casual postal employees to permanent positions as reason for the strike.

Employees at Post Office outlets are not on strike, but large numbers of Post Office outlets in the Johannesburg and Tshwane areas had to be temporarily closed as a result of violence against non-striking employees. Four branches are closed in Tshwane today, but in the Johannesburg area, intimidation is more widespread and 50% of post offices are closed today. Six branches in Johannesburg are closed for repairs following damage by striking workers.

Does this affect Jhb International Mail center? Does it go from them to Cape mail hub for parcels this side of the world? Anyone know the route or steps after customs?

So what is going to happen exactly if the SAPO does in fact close? What will happen with USPS and such international services? Could they come into the country and then be met by a courier?

Waiting for about 5 international parcels. You guys game me some hope until I phoned my local PO. Thry say the last parcels they have were received on the 16th September. They still only have 3 uncollected parcels... Just 3 in the whole PO. They also got a mail stating there will be no deliveries tomorrow either.

So what is going to happen exactly if the SAPO does in fact close? What will happen with USPS and such international services? Could they come into the country and then be met by a courier?
SAPOS is a SOC (State Owned Company) chances of it just closing it's doors are highly unlikely - if anything the Govt will bail it out.

Waiting for about 5 international parcels. You guys game me some hope until I phoned my local PO. Thry say the last parcels they have were received on the 16th September. They still only have 3 uncollected parcels... Just 3 in the whole PO. They also got a mail stating there will be no deliveries tomorrow either.
Dont expect it too soon. There are tons of mail that need to be processed. if it is not lost, they will eventually get to to. That article on facebook said processing should take about a week. I think they are optimistic, but lets see if our mail move by next friday.

Glad some parcels are starting to move again. At least there's some light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there everyone. Hoping you get your goodies soon :)

Program now on Classic FM (102.7) re SAPO strike

Ah Crap, I have 2 EMS packages I have been waiting for, for almost 1 month. One little First class international letter which is ninjamods drip tips.
Then the one that I'm actually really sad about was a group buy from Vapordna which amounted to something like $700 which has been sitting in a USPS sort facility, according to the tracking number since 15 September.

I hope I someday receive these but from now on I guess I gotta bite the bullet and use a courier.
Anyone know what courier Ebay Global shipping program uses to South Africa? I have an IPV V3 which shipped on Wednesday, fingers crossed SAPO is no where near that one.

I tuned in 1 minute after @johanct posted that.i only heard adds. Very curious as to what they said

from the facebook page it looks like they slowly moving all the stock out but there so much its going to take 2 weeks just to try and catch up shoo

What is the verdict @johan
I tuned in 1 minute after @johanct posted that.i only heard adds. Very curious as to what they said
from the facebook page it looks like they slowly moving all the stock out but there so much its going to take 2 weeks just to try and catch up shoo

I only heard the last bit and can't find a podcast on their website. It was not dedicated to SAPO, basically the presenter venting in a more civil way the same frustration that we experience. The guest on the show (don't know her name) just mentioned that it seems that SAPO is very slowly returning to normal operations with fewer hot spots (violence etc) in Gauteng. Sorting and delivery of backlog post will take a few weeks. In essence nothing new, but she was much more positive about SAPO's returning to normal than I will ever be regarding SAPO.

Back