Lockdown diaries - COVID-19 matters!

What are you going to be doing during the lockdown?

• At home. I’m non essential

Votes: 70 41.2%
  • Working. The virus doesn’t scare me

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • On standby

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Working from home. Too essential to take any risk!

Votes: 66 38.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Teen awakens from coma after 10 months with no awareness of Covid – after testing positive twice
https://www.iol.co.za/news/world/te...ve-twice-c98aaa7b-f9e5-44a5-afe5-fd4b383a98ac

"Due to a traumatic brain injury sustained on March 1 last year, the 19-year-old Joseph Flavill woke up from a coma after 10 months without having any knowledge of the devastation the virus has caused worldwide, StaffordshireLive reported.

Joseph is also not aware that he has tested positive for Covid-19 twice while in hospital – the second time after he had been moved to a centre which provides neurological, physical and cognitive rehabilitation.

He got hit by a car while crossing the road in his hometown of Staffordshire three weeks before the UK went into lockdown. His family is now able to communicate with him through FaceTime, but discussing the Covid-19 pandemic is not a priority for them at the moment.

Sally Flavill Smith, Joseph’s aunt, said: “We don’t know how much he understands as his accident was before the first lockdown. How do you explain the pandemic to someone who has been in a coma?”

She also told the Guardian: “We don’t really have the time to go into the pandemic hugely — it just doesn’t feel real does it? When he can actually have the face-to-face contact, that will be the opportunity to actually try to explain to him what has happened.

"A brain injury is very much the unknown, so we haven't been given an idea of what to expect really."

His mother was allowed to spend time with him on his 19th birthday, but she had to stay socially distanced.

In May last year, Joseph was due to attend Buckingham Palace to receive his Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award. His life was full of sport – hockey, cricket, surfing and skiing – and he had a passion for music while completing his final year of his A-levels.

Now, the teenager is making progress after opening his eyes. In the last few weeks, he has started moving limbs when he is told to do so. He is engaging with family and friends through blinking and smiling, it was reported on Josephsjourney. Flavill-Smith said: "At first his eyes were open but he wasn't responding to anything, but over the last few weeks he's taken amazing steps. "He's really trying to engage and blinks and smiles. He's raising his limbs on instruction. He's making really good progress. We've got to try to remain positive.’’
I wouldn't want to be in his shoes!

Food prices city by city [town] - but their shopping list is way too long for my budget at the moment...
Food-basket-Jan-2021.png

First time live Test cricket has been on free to air TV in England since 2005, watching England against India i am like a pig in s**t!!!! :aaaaa:
Joe Root hits 20th 100 in his 100th Test Match, a true great!!!!!!!

Food prices city by city [town] - but their shopping list is way too long for my budget at the moment...
Food-basket-Jan-2021.png

I don't understand this table without a time period. I can honestly eat 6 kg of green pepper in 3 months, but 50 loaves of bread? And 2kg of red meat is like 4 steaks which is one month of red meat for me.

I don't understand this table without a time period. I can honestly eat 6 kg of green pepper in 3 months, but 50 loaves of bread? And 2kg of red meat is like 4 steaks which is one month of red meat for me.

''The January 2021 index shows that a food basket consisting of 44 prioritised food items has increased marginally by 1.2% – or R49 – since December 2020. However, price increases have been sharper – around 5.1% or almost R200 more in the basket – since the index was restructured in September 2020.''

• Pay back the money: Over R26 million is being recouped from companies that overcharged for personal protective equipment related to the Covid-19 outbreak. Twenty companies linked to PPE contracts in Gauteng are being forced to pay back the money, following investigations. Contracts were terminated and deemed illegal, after it was found that the Gauteng government paid more than they should have for the items. [ENCA]

• Pay back the money: Over R26 million is being recouped from companies that overcharged for personal protective equipment related to the Covid-19 outbreak. Twenty companies linked to PPE contracts in Gauteng are being forced to pay back the money, following investigations. Contracts were terminated and deemed illegal, after it was found that the Gauteng government paid more than they should have for the items. [ENCA]
It's a drop in the 2 billion Rands Ocean spent on PPE but it's a good start.

I'd say it's even recommended since all the patients seen yesterday after midnight were intoxicated :mad:

ZERO-TOLERANCE DRUNK DRIVING LAW TO COME INTO EFFECT IN JUNE
https://www.womenonwheels.co.za/news/zero-tolerance-drunk-driving-law-to-come-into-effect-in-june
5 Feb. 2021

"According to News24, Transport minister Fikile Mbalula says the National Road Traffic Amendment Act, which will be in force by June 2021, will totally prohibit the use and consumption of alcohol by all motor vehicle operators on South African public roads..."

Govt quietly made not wearing a mask a direct criminal act
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/n...l-offence-after-reluctant-rules-update-2021-2

• Stepping into public without a mask on became a directly criminal offence in South Africa on 1 February.
  • Previously, a law enforcement official had to issue an instruction to put on a mask, and be ignored, for criminal sanctions to kick in.
  • The change came in a subtle update to lockdown rules – and went unannounced.
"As of 1 February, failing to wear a mask in public is a direct criminal offence in South Africa, which could come with up to six months in jail...

Yet the change was through such a subtle update to disaster regulations that it went unnoticed, and it went unannounced until Dlamini Zuma filed an affidavit to argue that a restriction on the sale of alcohol had been necessary...

On 1 February, Dlamini Zuma published an 8-page update to lockdown rules that reopened beaches, lifted the prohibition on alcohol, and adjusted curfew slightly. It also contained just a few characters that, while not actually mentioning masks, changed their legal status.

cdfb40a6a2eb426ea6c6a4fc2e39ccf3.jpg

Regulation 34(2), or failure to comply with an instruction to put on a mask, remains a criminal offence. But added to that was regulation 34(3), which holds that nobody may be on public transport, enter any premises "used by the public to obtain goods or services", or "be in any public open space".

Up to that point, 34(3) had no sanction attached to it, and the effect was to criminalise not having a face covering..."

Back